Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2002 10:16:57 AM EDT
OK , all you guys that have recently acquired some of these lowers what's the consensus???

I've seen some pics & these look good BUT the finish looks very Black , almost like a anodized finish as opposed to the "gray" finish of say Bushmaster & Armalites etc.  with the "manganese phosphate" finish.

Your replies appreciated.

(I'm about ready to build my own M4gery!)

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They may be a bit darker...not sure.  Don't have a Bushy or Armalite to compare it to.

I LOVE MY RRA LOWER.  In my opinion, the finish is better as RRA puts a bit more attention/time into polishing their metal before parkerizing.  As far a quality of the craftsmanship and strength of the receiver...it's greater than or equal to the Bushmaster.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would pay $40-50 more for a Bushy lower than an RRA...unless they have to have that "name brand" recognition and what the US Military totes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 and they both are every bit as nice as my Bushmaster and SGW(preban)

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a stripped RRA lower.  It matches my Bushy upper and lower exactly The lower parts kit went in perfectly.  Fit and finish is perfect.  Only think I have noticed on some RRA lower is the stamping inconsistent, but on mine it is very good.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
perfect.  Only think I have noticed on some RRA lower is the stamping inconsistent, but on mine it is very good.  

When you say "stamped" , what exactly do you mean?    

The RR name stamped on the side of the receiver  ???

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I loved mine so much that I ordered two more and the price is hard to beat!

Ropes
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The RR lower that I ordered a couple of weeks ago seemed to be well finished. No machining marks were evident, in contrast to an Oly Arms stripped lower I purchased a few years back. The mag well in that one actually had ridges from machining. The finish was an even black color and seemed to be a slightly different texture as well as a darker colored black.

I will say that there are slight differences when compared to my Bushmaster lower in overall appearance. The areas around the mag fence? seem to be thicker as well as the raised area around the mag well opening. It is barely discernable to the naked eye, but there is a difference in thickness. The angles of the Bushmaster look to be slightly sharper and the RR lower a bit more rounded.

As to how it will go together I will find out this weekend. I ordered my second parts kit from JT's and it should be here any day. I'll post the results.

Good Shooting
RED
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The RRA lower i have is a very dark flat black. the stamping is uneven throughout. slight machining marks here and there. i installed a RRA lower parts kit in the lower without a problem. the RRA lower has the same dull finish as my Colt, except the RRA lower not near as many machine markings as the Colt lower. i have a few Dalphon lowers that the fit and finish are far the best i ever come by. the Dalphon lowers are always my first pick. RRA lowers are sure a good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Always curious when someone says their lower has a "manganese phosphate" finish on an Al receiver?
How is that possible?
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've ordered 22 of them in the last 3-4 months....
'Nuff said ?
I think they are a well kept secret...
Forged lowers cheaper than most cast...
I think people are NUTS not to buy several and stock up while you still can...
Fit and finish are great !

If you don't believe me, just buy one and see for yourself...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my first RRA lower(complete) a couple of weeks ago. It's every bit as good as my pre ban Bushmaster and it's black not purple(like my bushy). I've mated it to a Colt M-16A1 upper and the fit is tighter than my Bushmaster as well. I like it. If these are a secret they won't be for long.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When you say "stamped" , what exactly do you mean?    

The RR name stamped on the side of the receiver  ???

That is exactly what I mean, cnatra, sorry for being unclear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Always curious when someone says their lower has a "manganese phosphate" finish on an Al receiver?
How is that possible?
cpermd

I dunno, I'm ignorant on the subject.

Is that only for steel, like barrels???

Enlighten me
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#13]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My RRA lower matches my Armalite in color PERFECTLY.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've ordered 22 of them in the last 3-4 months....
'Nuff said ?
I think they are a well kept secret...
Forged lowers cheaper than most cast...
I think people are NUTS not to buy several and stock up while you still can...
Fit and finish are great !

If you don't believe me, just buy one and see for yourself...

All 22 for yourself?  I'd hate to see or pay  the bill for all the uppers you will have to buy.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to order a couple next week.  Check this link out, it might help you out.

www.cruffler.com/review-August-01.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top