Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2005 11:10:15 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has any experience and/or opinions on the quality of these guns in comparison with others (ie ARs, AKs, Galils...).
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:06:44 PM EDT
No experience with either. The XCR was supposed to start shipping at the end of August. If anyone had received one, would like to here a review.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:49:10 PM EDT
Ditto,
It looks like a pretty sweet gun, but I have heard mixed opinions about Robinson Armament and their customer service, but have no first hand experience. I think it fills the bill for a more reliable(read piston operated) rifle than the AR with hopefully comparable accuracy. Lets hope!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:07:05 PM EDT
XCR isn't out yet..... the M96 was a disappointment for most & customer service seems to be lacking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:17:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jt325i:
XCR isn't out yet..... the M96 was a disappointment for most & customer service seems to be lacking.

Do you happen to know what the problem(s) were with the M96. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:21:41 PM EDT
I asked about the Robinson and had a great response. Heres the thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388544
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:36:12 PM EDT
weso
Thanks for the thread! that about seals the deal for me, as I don't like products or companies that fail to produce results. I will, however, remain optimistic about the XCR.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:47:41 AM EDT
Any one have the latest when are thry going to ship info?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:09:25 PM EDT
I have one ordered thru FBMG Inc. and the last he told me was that they should ship at the end of September. I just copied this from their web page:

12 Sept 05 Welcome to the new XCR™ Home Page. Production is moving along and we will be posting more pictures and shipping shortly. We have also testing new accessories, a list of which will also be posted shortly.

In addition to finding information on the XCR™, you can price and order XCR™s directly from this site.

We have just begun accepting deposits on XCR™s ordered with the 5.56mm 16" barrel and the folding aluminum stock options. These rifles will begin shipping with these options in the August-September time frame. Other XCR™ options and accessories will follow.

You may also contact us by phone or email if you have any questions. Contact Us.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on this and trying it out. I have a M96 and a Vepr. So the XCR will make the trifecta.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:25:07 PM EDT
Just received this email from them:

ROBINSON ARMAMENT CO.

Our records indicate that you desire to order an XCR rifle. Shortly we will be shipping XCR Rifles with the following specifications.

Cost: $1449.99 Retail. If you have questions concerning dealer price of Law Enforcement Officer/Military pricing please contact us directly.

Caliber: 5.56 NATO (Convertible to other calibers as conversion kits become available)
Barrel: 16.02" Long, Chrome-Lined; 1 in 9" Twist
Muzzle Attachments: M16A2 Flash Hider
Gas Adjustment: 4 Position
Charging Handle: Non-reciprocating on Left side of Upper Receiver. Charging handle knob contains forward assist.
Overall length: 37.75" (Stock Extended); 27.4" (Stock Folded)
Weight Empty: 7.5 lbs.
1913 Standard ("Picatinny") Rail System: Rails at 12, 3, 6, & 9 O'clock positions.
Magazine: One 30 round GI M16 magazine
Packaging: One plastic rifle case.
Front & Rear Sights: Yankee Hill flip sights (Optional, $169.90 Additional Charge)
Buttstock: All machined aluminum folding tube stock with rubber butt pad and cheek rest Foregrip: Falcon 5.57" Rail Covers (Optional, $12.00 each Additional Charge)

1) Choose only one payment option below for your $600.00 deposit, per gun, and filling out any other requested information.

Faxed Check (also known as "ACH"). This payment option allows you to fill out a check and fax it to us on the form. This allows us to debit your account for the amount of the check. Simply Download the http://www.ak47.com/ACH%20Authorization%2011May05.pdf , Follow, the instructions, and fax it to us at 801-355-0402.

Pre-Pay by Check or Money Order. Simply send us a check or money order for the full amount of the invoice. Make Check or Money Order Payable to:

Robinson Armament Co.
PO Box 16776
Salt Lake City, UT 84116-0776

Credit Card. Please call with your credit card information. We will add a three percent (3%) credit card charge to your invoice if you select this method of payment.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 1:02:58 PM EDT by wolver98]
I am getting one from Larry at FMBG Inc. and he went to Rob Arms today and this is the email he sent:

They said 5 weeks. I'm guessing that it is going to
be more like 6-7.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:00:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wolver98:
Just received this email from them:

ROBINSON ARMAMENT CO.

Our records indicate that you desire to order an XCR rifle. Shortly we will be shipping XCR Rifles with the following specifications.............

I put my request in about December '04 and just got this notice also

Doesn't bother me it took so long, as I would rather they be "ready" when they go out.

and I am getting one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:16:53 PM EDT
The M96, I'll pass. The XCR, I like the idea, but I'd pick an AR if it came down to only having one choice. I like to think I'll purchase an XCR some day, but I'm not to enthusiastic about it. Now if they get the XCR in 7.62 NATO out, I'll be more than willing to drop some cash on RobArm's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:58:21 PM EDT
They are testing 6.8 and 7.62x39 conversion kits now for the XCR but if they hit the market is anyones guess.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:04:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wolver98:
They are testing 6.8 and 7.62x39 conversion kits now for the XCR but if they hit the market is anyones guess.

They better produce it in 7.62x39 and 6.8x43, that a big selling point for me. If not I'll just stick with my AK's and hope FN produces the SCAR in those two calibers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:25:11 PM EDT
I put my hands on one at shot show and it is a definite must, really. The rifle was light sturdy and is capable of multiple configurations of barrel length,quick change, and caliber change. I loved it. I have an in house project sucking up all my cash so the order will go in after this project is complete. 7.62 by end of this year early next!

Kentlik
07, 08, SOT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:20:55 AM EDT
I am hoping for the 6.8 spc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:29:05 AM EDT
I was always a really ardent M96 supporter. The Stoner 63 is one of my favorite guns and the M96 is about as close as I will ever come to owning one. The weapon is very accurate, equal to or more so than a standard 20 inch A2 and the operating system is reliable and robust and has minimal recoil compared to other 5.56 weapons. The modularity is also very appealing to me. This weapon had even more promise, but they ran into some develpomental issues. Originally there was to be a belt fed conversion instead of the obscure Bren configuration, which is cool but not practical. They had also intended to have a 7.62x39 conversion but this never materialized. A belt fed M96 would have been an awesome weapon, especially with its ability to quickly change barrels. With the exception of very first guns, which had some problems with the bolts, they are

great guns. All the rags praised them as the best 5.56 rifle availible. The biggest downfall is the price. The going rate around here is about 1500.00 which is obscene considering you could have an M4gery and an A2 for that money. Also, the aftermarket idustry which is built upon the AR15 is unrivaled. Its hard to justify that expense for a relatively new and unproven weapon which has a very limited amount of accessories availible for it. If they could sell them for less I think they would be much more popular. As far as the XCR goes, it is a great concept but since it was supposed to have already been availible and it isn't....I think we will ever actually see it, much like the belt fed M96. Robinson also doesn't have the best customer service, so even if the XCR comes online, it will likely be thier last design....unless they decide to stay in business and actually sell thier guns at a fair price and keep thier promises.The XCR doesn't do much for me so I would rather have a M96 especially since the XCR isn't even availible. The M96 is a great rifle and if I can ever find one for less than a thousand dollars I will have one....but for now, I will buy the two AR's over the one M96 every day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:04:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 3:05:30 AM EDT by LoadedDrum]
I seriously considered the M96 my self. I like fact that it is stainless steel, and that the mag well detaches from the reciever. I also like the fact that a 20" barrel is actually offered for it. I do not care for the fact that I would have to spend so much extra to get rails for it. I do not like the fact that there is really only one type of brake offered for it. I also do not care for the weight (unfortunate consequence of the stainless steel I like).

I choose to pre-order the XCR for the weight savings, free floated barrel with birdcage, and integral rails. Also, when it was a 1250 dollar rifle, the cost savings. However, I would gladly pay the extra money to get a stock with a better cheek weld, included adjustable gas system (would have bought it anyway). I already have a BUIS from the AR I used have, so all I need is the front sight. I also prefer the XCR's bolt, and ejector design.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:40:53 PM EDT
What is an XCR?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 7:02:36 PM EDT by olds442tyguy]
Click here. There's a navigation list on the left side of the page.
Top Top