Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:22:59 PM EDT
I am a big fan of the Stoner 63 and the closest I can get is to buy a Robarm M96. I have fired them and I have found them to have less recoil than an AR, which made it much more controllable during rapid fire and accuracy was equal to or greater than a stock Bushmaster A2 20inch. They are also extremely cool looking guns, especially when equipped with the full length rail. Reliability and durability seem to be excellent with the newer weapons. I also like the ability to change barrle lengths, and if necessary configure as a top-loader. Seldom does anyone mention anything about these rifles on this site, and I was curious to see what the general consensus is. I do not currently own one, but I intend to.*reguardless of what the consensus is* I understand the issues with

Robinson, which is concerning but not necessarily prohibitive. Is it the price or Alex Robinson that holds this weapon back, or both? I have shot several of these weapons and have found them to be extremely reliable, accurate and extremely conrollable during rapid semi-auto fire. My only issues with the M96 is its weight and the fact that its a non-standard weapon with parts to become inevitably extinct when Robarm goes under after the XCR tanks. I would have bought one long ago, but the 1700.00 price tag is obscene. I would rather have two AR's, or a Bushmaster A3 with ACOG than one obscure, over priced weapon...no matter how great. Since my testing has been limited to range type conditions, I am curious to see how they are performing/lasting in the real world. Anyone have any insight/advice/opinions about the M96. Soundoff......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
 I, too, am a HUGE fan of the Stoner 63.  Even though the M96 looks simliar to the 63 and in a few ways is even superior; Robinson deviated WAYYYYYYYYYY too much from the Stoner 63 for the m96 to be a viable alternate choice.  With it's lousy safety location, lack of the top cocking knob and poor op rod interface, the M96 was just too far away from the original 63 to trip my trigger.

After owning one for three years and putting more rounds downrange than I care to admit.....I sold it and went back to my ARs.

IMO the straight, pure AR-15 is the best 5.56 design you are gonna get your hands on.  It hasn't lasted from the 1950s until now for nothing....

I tried and tried to talk Alex Robinson into returning more to the roots of the M96 design....but for naught.  It's a shame, with it's potential modularity, stainless steel construction, nearly indestructable surface conversion finish and very simple adjustable gas system the M96 has tons going for it.....and sadly, a few things going against it that were very overhyped but shouldn't have gotten out in the final design regardless.  In my opinion the M96 will be one of the finest rifles that almost was....just like the Stoner 63.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I like mine now that the "bugs' have been worked out.
I'll have to take a newer picture as I just go the barrel back from Adco and had a Wilson bird-cage type brake put on it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a Recon. Sold it and stayed with the AR. No problems with the rifle, or any dealings with the company.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
What about a Beretta AR70?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
m96.org
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am a big fan of the Stoner 63 and the closest I can get is to buy a Robarm M96. I have fired them and I have found them to have less recoil than an AR, which made it much more controllable during rapid fire and accuracy was equal to or greater than a stock Bushmaster A2 20inch. They are also extremely cool looking guns, especially when equipped with the full length rail. Reliability and durability seem to be excellent with the newer weapons. I also like the ability to change barrle lengths, and if necessary configure as a top-loader. Seldom does anyone mention anything about these rifles on this site, and I was curious to see what the general consensus is. I do not currently own one, but I intend to.*reguardless of what the consensus is* I understand the issues with

Robinson, which is concerning but not necessarily prohibitive. Is it the price or Alex Robinson that holds this weapon back, or both? I have shot several of these weapons and have found them to be extremely reliable, accurate and extremely conrollable during rapid semi-auto fire. My only issues with the M96 is its weight and the fact that its a non-standard weapon with parts to become inevitably extinct when Robarm goes under after the XCR tanks. I would have bought one long ago, but the 1700.00 price tag is obscene. I would rather have two AR's, or a Bushmaster A3 with ACOG than one obscure, over priced weapon...no matter how great. Since my testing has been limited to range type conditions, I am curious to see how they are performing/lasting in the real world. Anyone have any insight/advice/opinions about the M96. Soundoff......

I have never fired any RobArm weapons.  But was looking at buying a Expeditionary Rifle a year ago.  Then the XCR was coming out.  Then the XCR was coming out.  Then the XCR was coming out.  After months of research, I settled on an AR-180B.  Light, gas-piston, takes AR-15 mags, can be modified to accept a folding stock.  Thanks to the AWB, I had to wait ten years to put a folding stock on a rifle.  I love my 180B.  Purchased in Aug 05.  Put about 350 rounds thru.  No problems whatsoever.  Accurate for practical distances.  I have about a $1,200 in mine so far.  I don't plan on repulsing a Chinese human wave attack- so a chrome-lined heavy barrel was not an issue for me.  I do carry this thing around the house and property several times a day, and it feels light and responsive.  I'll probably put a rail system on it so the cost will eventually add up to a M96 or XCR.  But I had to buy a rifle for today- not a rifle for next year.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
m96.org

I used to live there....I think I still hold the post whore record on M96.org....the site owner, Jay, is a stand up guy, very cool dude.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
If you decide that you want to get one, let me know, I may have to sell mine shortly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one and recently sold it.  I liked it, I found it to be a smooth operating system with 100% reliability and very soft recoil.  I got rid of it for basically one reason: when I got it, the gun had the 17 inch carbine barrel and long gas system, which was not a huge deal.  But I wanted to upgrade to the 16 inch recon style.  I also wanted to outfit the upgraded mag well with bolt release.  RobArm said no new parts until 2006.  I said okay.  But after this fiasco with the XCR, I decided that I probably had a better chance on betting the sun wouldn't rise tomorrow than betting that RobArm would deliver on their promise to manufacture recon kits.  

I received my first taste of their piss-poor customer service when I had to sent the M96 lower to Robarm for the trigger parts upgrade.  First they told me it would only take a few days and they would send it back.  After about three weeks, I began to wonder why my lower hadn't been delivered yet.  Called robarm...Should be done next week.  The next week, called robarm...Should be done next week.  The next week, called robarm...Should be done next week.  The next week, called robarm...Should be done next week.  Finally got my lower back after seven weeks, after they initially told me only a few days.  The M96 is a good weapon, but Robarm prevented me from spending my money on them and I couldn't make the upgrades I wanted so I sold it.  Bought a Stag M4-gery and am very happy with it.  Robarm makes a good product but their customer service SUCKS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top