Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 8:22:22 PM EDT
I live in the far south suburbs of Chicago and was looking for a rifle range to enjoy my AR's. I've tried a number of range search tools, but haven't come up with anything. Does anyone know where I might find a decent rifle range, either in the south 'burbs or in Northwestern Indiana?

Thanks!!!

Ryan
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
~A Former Chicagoan

P.S. Don't vote for Blagoievich.  Don't vote for Daley (whoops, my fault you said you live in the suburbs.)  Make sure your friends and enemies don't either.  Seriously though The Chicago area is very un-gun friendly as I am sure you already know.  I would like to hear of any success you have in your pursuit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]

You can join the ISRA (Illinois State Rifle Association www.isra.org) and use their range in Kankakee.  The Kankakee range is closest to you.   Range fee is 100 dollars per year. They give you a key card which allows you to comwe and go as you please.  One problem is that this spring summer and fall, the range will only be open weekends due to construction to improve the range.

Another option is the Buffalo Range.  I can't recall the address and driving directions from the south Burbs.  I sure someone else here can give you the info.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I heard, there's a very long waiting list to get a yearly ISRA range pass.  

Buffalo Rock is 2 miles west of Ottawa on Rte 6.  Rte 6. intersects IL 23 which is off I-80.  It's quite a haul from the suburbs surrounding Chicago.  $20 for a whole day.  They have 50 yrds, 100 yrds, traps, a handgun range, and a highpowered plinking range.  

Bristol is just over the border into Wisconsin near Bristol, WI.  Can't recall the exact directions but I can get them if you need it.  It's very close to a residential area which could explain their single load rule (yes even with a box magazine).

There's also supposed to be a range out in Sycamore, which is about an hour west/northwest.  No details about that range though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
South side of chicago, huh?  Just go shoot it
in the streets around Gary.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Ryan, where are you at?  We might be neighbors.  e-mail me; I used to go to the ISRA range and am planning to head out to the Buffalo range one of these days.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell me more about the range near Bristol.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]

As to the waiting list to use the ISRA range.  I had to wait approximately 3 months when I first joined three years ago. You must first become a member of the ISRA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want info on the Bristol, WI range, shoot me an e-mail.

I can give you directions.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
HAHAHA is right.  BTW Howdy avalon1.

Bristol is a hike from the south burbs but you aren't going to get around that I'm afraid.

Also leave your mags at home because bristol has an absolutely redicilous single load rule, no mags, single load only, and the pricks are very crabby about it, even if you're only slow firing which is what I had always done there.

Eagle is a nicer range, mags allowed, even have a nice cabin to go and relax in, only problem is it only goes out to 100 yards.  Near route 12 in Eagle WI.

Avalon1, how about giving this guy directions to ottawa, hell it's probably a lot closer for him and he doesn't have to put up with the BS.

I luckily just said goodbye to the peoples republik of Illinois and moved back to my home state of North Dakota.  Have a nice range only 20 minutes away, it's free, there are no range officers or rediculous rules, just head out and shoot.  Ahh, it's good to be back home.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]
mdepolis,
What about this Eagle range? I live in N. IL and have never heard of it. Where is Eagle WI? Is it a public range? Any info you can give me on the range would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
See, I told you.  Illinois is a few steps away from being another California.  Get your friends together and make sure gayRod Blowguyavich doesn't make it to Springfield or it will get a lot worse.  Thank goodness he can't do any more damage federally!  Vote him down and then move out of the Chicago area at least!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the wait for new ISRA members is over one year now.  Ridiculous.

I've been to the Buffalo Range in Ottawa.  It is a blast!  The plinking range is awesome!  Last year, the price was only $15.

I'm planning to go out there this Sunday with my brother.  We'll be shooting our ARs.  So, I'll get the directions for you soon.

Concerning the Governor's election...gun owners in IL lost that one in the primary last month.  O'Malley was the man we wanted.  Blagoyovich and Jim Ryan are both gun hating hacks.  It really doesn't matter which one gets elected.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#13]
That's what I like living in the country. I just head out to the farm when I want to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay, you can find detials on the Buffalo range at the "Range locator" at the top of the AR-15.com board.  You can even access a mapquest map for directions.  I'd call first, just to make sure.

Their phone number there is:  815-433-2471

Enjoy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top