Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:02 PM EDT
I'm looking for a rifle that would be considered a "semi-automatic assault rifle" before the election. $700 is about my limit, unless I hit some unexpected cash or sell something.

Don't really want another AR, like AKs, like bigger calibers.

Always wanted a .308/7.62, would settle for 7.62x54r or 7.62x39. But, would consider 5.45x39 due to price.

For AKs, I love underfolders, dislike plastic but will deal with it. Won't go with Romanian AKs over Polish, Yugo or Chinese. Chinese are out of my price range I think, and I see that a lot of Yugos are put together by Century? I don't like Century.

I would love a Dragunov but the Romanian knock-off is the closest thing I can afford, the Romanian AK's get a bad rep, I doubt their PSLs are any better?

Shopping for a CETME seems like a PITA, a good one seems to be out of my price range, or else I'd have to build one from a kit and that seems out of my grasp. Plus, for a caliber like .308 I'd want to reload due to expense of ammo. I really like the looks of the CETME over anything else though.

Pretty much the same deal for a FAL.

Would kindof like a Hakim or a FN49 because I like the 8mm caliber, but that'd be expensive to shoot and I don't know how they treat brass for reloading.

I'm trying to build a list of rifles to look for at the next gunshow.

Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:35 PM EDT
My suggestion would a Polish Tantal, especially since the cost of ammo is currently one of the best deals going in a rifle caliber.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:54:38 PM EDT
I considered a Polish AK but I have a few questions about it:

• What would a underfolder go for?

• Can they be converted w/o a big hassle?

• Are they chrome-lined?

• Any standard AK parts incompatabilities?

• What should I lookout for?

• What would it take to build the Underfolder Kit once I have a receiver?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:05:39 PM EDT
Yugo AK, or perhaps call InRange C2 and see if Troy has some VZ-58s left.

(865) 9326509

I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 10:37:58 PM EDT by PoisonMiller]
Well, after some researching I've found out that Polish guns are chrome lined, so I'd actually prefer one of those over a Yugo as long as I can find a PMKMS.

On another note:

Also considered building a semi closed-bolt Sten MkIII kit using a pistol grip so that I can keep the short barrel, would be cheaper and I like Stens because I'm a bit of a WW2 nut.

I'm not 21, but to my understanding of federal law nothing prohibits me from producing my own pistol (using a receiver I make myself) as long as it's not for sale.

Am I missing something here?

And local laws do not prohibit me from owning a pistol, just buying one.
Top Top