Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:02 PM EDT
I'm looking for a rifle that would be considered a "semi-automatic assault rifle" before the election. $700 is about my limit, unless I hit some unexpected cash or sell something.

Don't really want another AR, like AKs, like bigger calibers.

Always wanted a .308/7.62, would settle for 7.62x54r or 7.62x39. But, would consider 5.45x39 due to price.

For AKs, I love underfolders, dislike plastic but will deal with it. Won't go with Romanian AKs over Polish, Yugo or Chinese. Chinese are out of my price range I think, and I see that a lot of Yugos are put together by Century? I don't like Century.

I would love a Dragunov but the Romanian knock-off is the closest thing I can afford, the Romanian AK's get a bad rep, I doubt their PSLs are any better?

Shopping for a CETME seems like a PITA, a good one seems to be out of my price range, or else I'd have to build one from a kit and that seems out of my grasp. Plus, for a caliber like .308 I'd want to reload due to expense of ammo. I really like the looks of the CETME over anything else though.

Pretty much the same deal for a FAL.

Would kindof like a Hakim or a FN49 because I like the 8mm caliber, but that'd be expensive to shoot and I don't know how they treat brass for reloading.

I'm trying to build a list of rifles to look for at the next gunshow.

Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion would a Polish Tantal, especially since the cost of ammo is currently one of the best deals going in a rifle caliber.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I considered a Polish AK but I have a few questions about it:

• What would a underfolder go for?

• Can they be converted w/o a big hassle?

• Are they chrome-lined?

• Any standard AK parts incompatabilities?

• What should I lookout for?

• What would it take to build the Underfolder Kit once I have a receiver?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yugo AK, or perhaps call InRange C2 and see if Troy has some VZ-58s left.  

(865) 9326509

I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, after some researching I've found out that Polish guns are chrome lined, so I'd actually prefer one of those over a Yugo as long as I can find a PMKMS.

On another note:

Also considered building a semi closed-bolt Sten MkIII kit using a pistol grip so that I can keep the short barrel, would be cheaper and I like Stens because I'm a bit of a WW2 nut.

I'm not 21, but to my understanding of federal law nothing prohibits me from producing my own pistol (using a receiver I make myself) as long as it's not for sale.

Am I missing something here?

And local laws do not prohibit me from owning a pistol, just buying one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top