Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 9:07:59 AM EDT
Anyone have one?

I know the basics, but I'm looking for pics, specs, and other detailed info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, the shop is closed.  This  was just a gimmick, IMHO, to eliminiate someone's ill-founded concern about gas deposits and reliability.  I have heard some saying the gas system "S#$%s where it feeds" and this is what causes the problems.  Poppycock! The problem was ball powder made from reclaimed nitrocelluose that had too much calcium carbonate added to counter the natural acidity of old nitrocelluose.  If the DoD had loaded 5.56 mm with IMR, this would never have been an issue.

I have not cleaned my bolt/carrier for over 500 rounds.  Not a single drop of oil, cleaner, solvent has been applied.  I lubed my raceways and upper with dry moly and it is still running on this stuff.  No wear, perfect functioning.

Use good ammo and should should only need to clean when accuracy falls.  That for me is 200+ rounds.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Keith, but I'm looking at it as a possible way to eliminate the gas tube and gas flow back into the carrier for reasons other than increasing reliability in a normally reliable semiauto firearm.  I do a lot of shooting in full auto, and the gas tube is usually the first part to fail under sustained or heavy fire conditions.  I agree with you that for casual shooting in semi auto, there's really not much reason to mess with the system, but in full auto, the weaknesses in the system are much more apparent.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
shaggy:

You probably already have it, but...

There is a copy of the patent and illustrations for the Rhino system on www.biggerhammer.net . This may provide enough functional detail to have one built, found, etc.

Hope this helps,
havoc
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
havoc -

Perfect - thanks!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Keith_J
Stoner took the AR15 around the world testing it WITH THE RIGHT AMMO. and it ran flawlessly. A gas piston system is just IMHO an uneeded dodad on an already superb weapons platform.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
A piston type system also affects recoil rise.  In the AR design, the system recoil is on the same axis as the ballistic recoil.  Makes semiauto fire much easier to recover from.

BTW, I use ball type powders exclusively and have no problems with fouling anywhere.  Sure it gets dirty but most of that is the residual graphite, a natural lubricant.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top