Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2003 12:48:01 PM EDT
I am shooting a Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" barrel. At what distance should I practice at? I am still trying to hit things consistantly at 25 yards, but eventually would like to try shots upwards of 50 yards. This is my first revolver, all other shooting has been with a Glock 17. The trigger is quite different to get used to versus the plastic pistol's, but any tips on revolver marksmanship would be appreciated.

c
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:47:02 PM EDT
I would suggest staying at your 25 yard line. There's very little difference between 25 yards & 50, you might have to hold just a bit higher at 50.

As for trigger, spend the $50-75 & have a good trigger job done on the Ruger. Their triggers really suck when compared to Colt or S&W.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:20:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

As for trigger, spend the $50-75 & have a good trigger job done on the Ruger. Their triggers really suck when compared to Colt or S&W.

Good luck.

AMEN brother!!!
Going from using a S&W trigger (even a poor one) to a Ruger is a negative experience.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:15:06 PM EDT
Talking about distance, I'm FLABBER GASSTED when a couple guys at my club are shooting and hitting a 8-9" dia steel plates @ 100yrds using a tree for assistance in steading themselves w/S&W 629,625 revolvers.---> REALLY!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:43:37 PM EDT
I shoot a Blackhawk with a 5" barrel in .45acp.
At 15 yds I'm deadly, at 20 very good, at 25 ok, at 30 passable and at 50 dangerous to bystanders. Gotta just keep things in perspective and for the use they were intended.

rk
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:46:21 PM EDT
My .02....it depends on what you intend to use the revolver for. If it's "Cowboy Action", or just plain paper punchin' stick to the 25 yard line. If you intend to hunt with it, I'd stretch the envelope to the farthest distance you'd be comfortable taking a crack at a game animal. I've hunted with handguns for over 20 years. The farthest distance I've taken a deer at was roughly 65 yards with iron sights (don't own a scoped gun). For practice, I use deer silhouette (or poster type) targets at 50 and 75 yards. No problem keeping all the rounds in the "K" zone. As a rule, I won't take shots at live game with the 'hand cannon' beyond that distance. Truthfully, all the deer I've taken with the exception of the aforementioned 65 yd gig, were shot at less than 35 yards.
Top Top