Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2014 2:47:05 AM EDT
Tumble seems like a good deal and holds a boat load of brass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:22:14 AM EDT
Too funnny, I literally just ordered this 15 minutes ago. I ordered it based off of the reviews at Amazon and a google search. I am hoping it will last for at least 4-5 years. My decision to buy this one vs the "red" version, is the amount it can tumble, and the amount of brass I process. Plus, I clean the primer pockets on every piece of brass I load, this will eliminate alot of the processing time if it cleans the primer pockets as well as they say it does.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:48:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:39:00 AM EDT
I just started using one of these last week. It is awesome. Holds at least twice as much brass as the Thumblers and spins faster. I'm cleaning up very grungy surplus 762x51 brass 250-300 at a time.
It actually will hold 1000 pcs of 556 brass and clean it in 2-3 hours
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:02:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2014 7:04:13 AM EDT by jaroot]
Mine arrived last week. I have run one batch of mixed '06 and 223 brass through it. About 300 223 and 200 '06. Out of the box it ran great. No complaints other than now my support equipment is undersized. I need a larger laundry tub, a larger media separator and a larger drying rack.

The pins that come with it leave something to be desired. .038 diameter, various lengths, some bent in a slight L shape. I used the 5 lbs of .047 Ultras from Bullseye I have had. Never anything in a flash hole or lodged internally with those, yet.

Otherwise I loaded it up, added .047 pins and water, some dawn and turned the dial to 3 hours. Sure spins and agitates like a MOFO, I'll give it that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:19:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2014 6:38:06 PM EDT by suprmatch]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaroot:
Mine arrived last week. I have run one batch of mixed '06 and 223 brass through it. About 300 223 and 200 '06. Out of the box it ran great. No complaints other than now my support equipment is undersized. I need a larger laundry tub, a larger media separator and a larger drying rack.

The pins that come with it leave something to be desired. .038 diameter, various lengths, some bent in a slight L shape. I used the 5 lbs of .047 Ultras from Bullseye I have had. Never anything in a flash hole or lodged internally with those, yet.

Otherwise I loaded it up, added .047 pins and water, some dawn and turned the dial to 3 hours. Sure spins and agitates like a MOFO, I'll give it that.
View Quote

Good to hear. I've been looking at this and pricing the DIY tumbler that Bigdawg (i think) made. Since I don't hardly have to for anything this would save me the time of building my own. And I can clean more than 150 pieces of 223 unlike thumbler.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:32:58 PM EDT
Here is an old thread.

I have been using mine since March. I wouldnt consider myself a power reloader but I do enough . Anyway... so far its worked well for me. Here are my negatives:
1. Pins get stuck in 223 primer holes once in a while. Make sure u check or use decap die before priming. Perhaps try diff size as others suggested?
2. Timer stopped working recently. It just stopped ticking down to shut off. I have been manually turning off and on. Finally called them (today ironically) and they will send replacement as soon as they come back in stock. Very easy to deal with on phone. BUT they didnt seem surprised. Perhaps they get a lot of calls?

It has worked great to replace deburring/chamfering of trimmed brass and cleaning primer pockets which was my main goal. With the negatives, I would still recommend.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2014 7:58:43 PM EDT by Wingman26]
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2014 8:10:57 PM EDT by AR-JR]
Originally Posted By Wingman26:
My question about this item, is it made in China? I believe the answer to be yes.

Along the same line, is the Thumler made in China? I believe mine has a "Made in the U.S.A." sticker on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:06:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:02:34 AM EDT

That's what I wanted to know, thanks! Getting tired of all the Chinese crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR-JR:
My question about this item, is it made in China? I believe the answer to be yes.

Along the same line, is the Thumler made in China? I believe mine has a "Made in the U.S.A." sticker on it.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks! Getting tired of all the Chinese crap.

I don't like buying Chinese but if I can wet tumble more than 150 pieces at a time I have to give it a go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:55:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/15/2014 5:01:37 AM EDT by Flashbang1]
Get the .047 pins and never think of stuck pins in your sleep. Mines been doing well for a while now. Only negative I see is the positive of no belt.
No belt is great, gear to drive is great, cheap plastic gears covered with Vaseline no so good. Maybe nylon would be better or better yet brass at this price point but it seems to be holding up. For what's out there right now in a compact package with large capacity HDPE drum, for me I would buy again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:46:26 PM EDT
Build your own tumbler. Linky.

Then contact tlee_20 (a site sponsor/vendor) about purchasing just the drum instead of buying your own. Linky.

No connection with tlee_20, just wish the Frankford Arsenal drum had been available before I built my own from PVC.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:26:25 AM EDT
Got mine in yesterday, thew in 500 of 9mm range brass, followed the directions and set it for 2 hours.
The results blew me away! They are VERY shiny, and I would say 90% of the primer pockets are perfectly clean, with only a slight amount of dirt in the remaining pieces. I only used the cleaning solution that came with it, but I picked up some lemeshine today, and will do another batch tonight.

I am guestimating that it will save me between 3-4 hours of prep time on brass per batch.
Before I would tumble for 3 hours, and then spend another 3-4 hours cleaning primer pockets on the RCBS machine.
Now, I only tumble for 2-3 hours, with NO prep work o nthe RCBS machine!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:56:04 AM EDT
Honestly I have ditched any of the citrus polishes / chemicals. I just use a heavy dose of Dawn. That's it. Generally load it up, set the timer for 3 hours and go upstairs for the evening or out to do chores. Clean it out when I come back or the next day. Stuff is seriously clean.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:20:10 AM EDT
I ordered this and their case prep center earlier in the week. Used the tumbler for the first time last night. Results look great, but I need to fine tune my process for separating the pins from brass.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2014 9:40:35 AM EDT by Effenpig]
Originally Posted By thormx538:
I ordered this and their case prep center earlier in the week. Used the tumbler for the first time last night. Results look great, but I need to fine tune my process for separating the pins from brass.
View Quote

The biggest thing I've found is to go slow. Whether it's dumping the drum or spinning the media separator. I put my hand over the open drum and slowly invert it with it almost touching the media separator basket. Dump the drum slowly 7 til all the brass is out an d don't worry about any pins left in the drum.

A very small amount of back and forth motion until most pins have dropped works best. Those little pins are like Mexican jumping beans. I don't worry about a few stray pin flying like i did when i started, I just run a nail grabber magnet around once in awhile to grab strays
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:04:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2014 11:07:50 AM EDT by C_Swimm]
just got mine last week. Have run 5 loads through it with excellent results.

I also got a food dehydrator from Harbor Freight and I put the brass on the racks to dry them over night.

I also bought a magnetic pick up tool from Harbor Freight to help pick up and move the pins. Works great.

Be very careful not to get any steel cases mixed in.

I use my case/media seperator from Berry's to seperate the pins. I do this in the bathtub while rinsing the brass with the shower head.

Been using the supplied pins so far without issue.

Dawn (few drops) and Lemishine (1/8 tsp). I plan to try Turtle Wax brand car wash to leave slight lube on brass.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

The biggest thing I've found is to go slow. Whether it's dumping the drum or spinning the media separator. I put my hand over the open drum and slowly invert it with it almost touching the media separator basket. Dump the drum slowly 7 til all the brass is out an d don't worry about any pins left in the drum.

A very small amount of back and forth motion until most pins have dropped works best. Those little pins are like Mexican jumping beans. I don't worry about a few stray pin flying like i did when i started, I just run a nail grabber magnet around once in awhile to grab strays
View All Quotes

That's my issue -- I don't have a media separator. I ended up ordering one, and it should be in tomorrow.

What I've been doing in the mean time is after the brass is tumbled, replace one of the tumbler's watertight caps with the slotted/screen cap. Dump the water out (while trying to keep the pins inside the tumbler). Refill and dump a few more times until the water stops coming out soapy.

Then, I refilled the tumbler, and poured it quickly into a 5gal bucket (trying to get the pins into the bucket). Next, I filled it back up, threw a mesh screen over the bucket, and emptied the tumbler onto the mesh screen, and rinsed the brass down while agitating it. I picked up everything I could see on the brass with a magnet.

There are still pins inside a lot of the brass though. I might just hold off until my separator comes in at this point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:54:58 PM EDT
My cheap "almost new" Lyman separator from Amazon (open box) has been perfect to remove the pins. I did end up buying the Magnet tool FA makes that works very well to pick up the pins and drops them just where you want them. I was using a small magnet to do it, but had to pick them off. PITA.

That's my issue -- I don't have a media separator. I ended up ordering one, and it should be in tomorrow.

What I've been doing in the mean time is after the brass is tumbled, replace one of the tumbler's watertight caps with the slotted/screen cap. Dump the water out (while trying to keep the pins inside the tumbler). Refill and dump a few more times until the water stops coming out soapy.

Then, I refilled the tumbler, and poured it quickly into a 5gal bucket (trying to get the pins into the bucket). Next, I filled it back up, threw a mesh screen over the bucket, and emptied the tumbler onto the mesh screen, and rinsed the brass down while agitating it. I picked up everything I could see on the brass with a magnet.

There are still pins inside a lot of the brass though. I might just hold off until my separator comes in at this point.
View All Quotes

Top Top