Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 1:57:57 PM EDT
I have several questions. I picked up an old 22 long rifle single shot made by  J Stevens Arms & Tool Co. The receiver says Crack Shot 26.
1) Is it worth anything?
2) It was all lightly rusted some light pitting, I stripped it and soaked it in Rustoleum Rust Stripper which worked great. My question is- Now what? It's down to bare metal, were they blued back then or just oiled?
3) The stock had someones name carved into the wood so I sanded it down to bare wood. Now what? What type of finish did it have originally?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
John:

My uncle has a crack shot that has been his since he was 4.  His has a beech stock with a light coat of polyurathane and the barrel is (yuk) chromed.  

For your barrel, I would suggest sanding/polishing it as smooth as you dare, cleaning it with acetone, heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun, and applying cold blue from the bottle.  Remember to get the metal as clean as possible with the acetone so that the bluing will take.

Regarding the stock, take a look at this:  Scroll down to my refinishing advice

The crack shot is not particularly collectible as far as I know, but would make an excellent first rifle for a kid.

Hope this helps.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks White_horse
That's pretty much what I did, except for the acetone. I never thought of using that, I used a gun degreaser. I didn't sand the barrel down because I didn't want to ruin any markings. I cold blued it and stained and re-oiled the stock. I took it to the range last night to try it. The spring in the hammer doesn't seem strong enough, it was only denting the primer or maybe the firing pin is worn.
So I guess I have to bring it to a smith or I have myself a nice wall mount.
Buy the way, by not sanding the barrel and receiver, I didn't take the antiqueness out of the appearance. It still looks old but without the rust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top