Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 2:34:05 PM EDT
guys I had my old buck  (110?)folder stolen, forget the model standard 4" folder. That knife would hold an edge for a long time. I have tried a gerber, plain jane 2" lock blade, and it is a bear to sharpen, and the edge lasts a very short time. I have a Camilus buckmaster. very easy to sharpen, open and holds an edge. It's great to skin a deer, but It is so wobbly when locked, I would be scared to use it for defensive purposes.

I just want a nice, light 4" folder with belt clip for every day carry. NC concealed carry is for handguns only, not knives, hence the need for a belt clip. I have heard cold steel was excellent, I have looked at those all the way to Combat Elite Brand. what should i look for, in between the $45 Cold Steel to those $200 Combat Elite?

Any help would be nice

Thanks

Gene
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Benchmade Mel Pardue. Not really expensive, very sharp, holds a edge and has a belt clip that you can remove if you don't want it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Find an older Buck Model 110 on the 'net, and get the guy over at blade forums to put a pocket clip on it for you for $20.

He has a pic listed that shows the 110 with the Ti scales with a low ride clip he installed. He does very good work, and is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have recently found the perfect EDC for me:  Benchmade 511.

Has a belt clip - might work for you.

And man, this thing arrived SHARP!

EDIT:

Had to go look at it as I couldn't remember the number.  I have a Buck 112 right here - had it more than 20 yrs.

I had forgotten all about this knife - this thing has been all over the planet with me.

Mine is exactly this vintage, but in a little worse shape, especially the sheath.

Another edit:

Searched at BladeForum.  Mine was made between 74-80, and is 440C.  My New EDC - Benchmade 551 - is also 440C.

Freaky, unplanned, coincidence.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
On the lower end, Spyderco are great knives, in the mid to high end, look at Benchmade, and Emerson, excellent knives for the price point!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
On the lower end, Spyderco are great knives, in the mid to high end, look at Benchmade, and Emerson, excellent knives for the price point!

Spyderco has alot of what I consider "High End" working blades, such as the Manix and the Chinook. Check out the Benchmade 710 and the Emerson CQC-7. I also highly recommend the Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Had to go look at it as I couldn't remember the number.  I have a Buck 112 right here - had it more than 20 yrs.

I have a 110. My dad carried it before I did. I think it's pushing 40.

Need a new shealth. Mine looks like the one you pic'd, but beat to hell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a 110. My dad carried it before I did. I think it's pushing 40.

Need a new shealth. Mine looks like the one you pic'd, but beat to hell.

I really like stuff like that.  I used to have my dad's Boy Scout hatchet.  I also used to have a wife that became cruel beyond words...

Decided to post my 112.  If this thing could only talk.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Decided to post my 112.  If this thing could only talk.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44330

Apparently Buck knives age the same way. Mine looks pretty much like that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the link in case anyone is interested. Adding a pocket clip, that is.

www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374927&highlight=clips
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can tell it's old because the edges are squared. The newer Buck folders are more rounded.

What edges, Big_Bear...got me wondering here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I just found my old 110 and I forgot I snapped the tip off. No I wasn't using it as a pry bar.
I dropped it on carpet with a concrete subfloor
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top