Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/8/2012 3:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2012 3:59:15 PM EDT by CoyoteGray]
Does anyone have a good way to remove case lube after sizing and before trimming other than wiping each case or tumbling it..?

I am not using a progressive loader. If I tumble it I get some of the flash holes with media plugged in it..

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 3:55:03 PM EDT
Tumbling is the way I do it and then check the flash holes. I use a very small paneling nail to remove any stuck media. I'm sure there are other items/devices that could be used as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:20:04 PM EDT
I don't have a progressive either. I re-size, wipe cases off with a hand towel, then trim, and lastly tumble in clean corm cob to remove all lube inside and out along with trimmed shavings stuck inside. I find that using the Frankford arsenal branded corn cob media only causes maybe 10-15 cases with media in flash holes out of every 100 cases. I used to use walnut media but the percentage of cases with media in flash holes was like 75%. Since switching back to corn cob, it really isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:05:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By A2cat-man:
Tumbling is the way I do it and then check the flash holes. I use a very small paneling nail to remove any stuck media. I'm sure there are other items/devices that could be used as well.

I tumble and use a dental pic on brass which has already had the flash hole uniformed. If not, I use a Lyman flash hole tool to poke out the media when uniforming. I clean the pockets after tumbling so it really doesn't take much more time.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:10:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:02:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:40:50 PM EDT
Agree. Your media is too large. Buy this: http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media You can get the same thing from Grainger. In fact when I bought from the link above, it was delivered from Grainger.

And wow, I bought this a year ago for $10 less. I've used less than 1/4 of it.

dryflash, which decapper are you using? I need want one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:26:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
Does anyone have a good way to remove case lube after sizing and before trimming other than wiping each case or tumbling it..?

I am not using a progressive loader. If I tumble it I get some of the flash holes with media plugged in it..

Thanks...

If you take white gas (Camp fuel) put some on a bank bag or towel then just swish your brass in it back and forth. Works well and eliminates a whole ton of media picking

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:00:16 PM EDT
If time is not an issue. You could just wash them in soap and water.

Before I had a tumbler I washed my cases in Birchwood casey case cleaner. Then just dry for a couple days.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:02:06 AM EDT
I have the same problem with my JHP pistol ammo (we tend to use JHPs in combat pistol/3gun competition).

I used an old tee-shirt & just dropped 50 to 100 rounds in at once. Then worked shirt back & forth over them for a minute or two. Shirt will have lead on it them, so throw it out. I have considered trying tumbling loaded ammo with something like strips of tee shirt or maybe lots of cleaning patches. Shredded paper from the office might also work & not clog the OTMs.

For non-hollowpoint, it is well established that a 15 to 30 minute trip through the tumbler in either corncob or walnut will NOT hurt the reloades or cause any issues.

Aloha
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:48:19 AM EDT

Thanks...

Sir, having read through all the responses posted so far perhaps a few comments of my own would be helpful. I'll start with a question first: Why do you want to remove case lube before trimming?

My process involves using Imperial sizing wax for resizing on a single stage press and I trim on a Giraud trimmer after resizing. I use Redding bushing dies with a carbide expander ball and a small bit of lube inside the case neck. After trimming I debur the flash holes and uniform the primer pocket depths for all new or once fired cases. I remove the lube on all cases with corn cob media in a Dillon tumbler and when finished and pour the brass and media mixture into a large Dillon media seperator. Since I started using the media seperator I've noticed that the incidence of media being stuck in the flash hole is much less. When I remove the brass from the seperator I place it neck down in loading trays to make it quite easy to examine the flash holes and punch out any residual media with a tooth pick, small brad or what ever similar tool might be at hand.

The final brass prep step that I do is to prime them with a Sinclair hand priming tool. In summary there is no need to remove case lube prior to trimming in my humble opinion. Rather it is more efficient from my perspective to do it only once after all case prep except repriming has been accomplished. YMMV, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:04:16 AM EDT
I lay out a newspaper in the back yard....preferably in the sun. Dump my lubed brass cases on it....hit them with aerosol carb or break cleaner....shake them around a bit and repeat.
The aerosol cleaner evaporates in a few minutes and the cases are clean.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 12:30:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:54:22 PM EDT
I spray sized cases with Tetra Gun Action Blaster, then roll a bunch of cases between a couple of paper towels. They come out clean and degreased.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:35:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Scott_R:
Agree. Your media is too large. Buy this: http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media You can get the same thing from Grainger. In fact when I bought from the link above, it was delivered from Grainger.

I ordered a 40lb bag from Drillspot and it works great and much cheaper than what I was buying at the local gun store...

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:24:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Scott_R:

I ordered a 40lb bag from Drillspot and it works great and much cheaper than what I was buying at the local gun store...

Sir, FWIW you're not alone. When DF posted the above link I also ordered a bag of media from drillspot. It arrived last Friday and although I've not used it yet it's clear the grain size is smaller than the generic stuff I've been buying for $3/lb. at local gun shows. Obviously much cheaper and a forty lb. bag is going to last me a long time! 7zero1 out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:47:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2012 8:48:13 AM EDT by wahoo95]
What caliber and press are you using?

I load 223 on a Dillon 550 and I tumble my brass after sizing/trimming to remove lube. Yes it does leave media in the flash hole, however by using a Universal Decapper in stage 1 I can remove that media before priming. Much faster and more efficient than doing them by hand one at a time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:51:40 AM EDT
I use an ultrasonic cleaner with just water. Works fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:30:15 AM EDT
I wet tumble in the Thumlers tumbler to remove lube.

I wet tumble once(2hr's) to clean the brass and then after sizing I wet tumble again(30 min's) to remove the lube, after loading I tumble in plain corn cob to remove any finger prints(30 min's) so the loaded ammo looks new when finished, sounds like allot of work but it's really not and goes by pretty fast.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:09:44 AM EDT
Do you still use the SS media, switch to corn cob, or just use water when you use your wet tumbler?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:35:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Thanks...

The best way is to tumble off the lube with plain corn cob.

Your problem is that your media is too large.

Go with a smaller size corn cob.

The first station on my 550 233 tool head is a universal decapper just in case I missed a piece of media in the flashole.

This. I have some larger stuff I use to clean and then some way smaller stuff to remove lube. BTW I don't tumble the lube off till after I trim so I don't dirty them up handling them durring trimming and/or swagging.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:24:13 PM EDT
I used to tumble my brass to get the lube off. I find that handling the brass, dumping in the tumbler and using the media separator, I found some damaged necks. From now on, I use a towel with soapy water and alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:46:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2012 9:52:50 PM EDT by kaos]

Originally Posted By dryflash3:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tumbling/PC290353.jpg

I have tumbled off the lube from thousands of cases without dinging any necks.
Out of curiosity:
Is the bottom cut out of your sifter, or at least perforated to allow media to fall into the bucket below?

I'm wondering whether that's a mod worth making, or if it just makes a mess every time you try to move the sifter?

OTOH, having just gotten back into this, I'm partial to a quick tumble after sizing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:47:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:53:45 AM EDT
I used to tumble my sized and deprimed cases to remove case lube but I had too many wind up with media in the flash holes. It wasn't every one, but I still had to check every one. Now I do it a couple different ways: 1) Sometimes I load them without removing the lube and then tumble the loaded rounds. or 2) If I decide to remove the lube before loading, I use hot water, Dawn dish soap and a little Lemishine. They come out clean and shiny and no media in the flash hole
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:09:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2012 9:10:31 AM EDT by astross89]
Just got back from a gun show. And talked to an old timer and he said he soaks his in a large jar with lacquer cleaner? Does that work or is that crazy?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:07:35 AM EDT
Top Top