Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2002 10:22:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup been out for a year or so. Seems like a neat idea, but its one more thing to malfunction. plus its still really expensive. I think i would break it really quick.IMHO
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, definately not something I would put my life on.  Would be tons of fun to play with though.  We all know how long electronics work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I know it would be fun as a varmint gun, I have heard people talk about the trigger. You cant feel the "break". it just feels like a button. Would eb really fun for those long range shots over a squirrel field
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
So for only $2000.00 I can have a Rem. 700 that needs special ammo and has a built in stun gun?  Gee.... where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The website says that the E-tronix primers are available as components, for reloading. Of course I have never seen them available anywhere. Is remington going to license this technology? I would not want to pay that much money for a gun, and have only one source for primers. Besides it is a bolt gun. $2000 is too much to pay for a plain bolt hunting gun, regardless of the ignition system.

An electricly primed AR would be neat though!
Market a kit to convert an AR to electric firing. The kit would consist of an electronic bolt, a fire control circuit card, to fit in the lower reciever, and a trigger switch. The battery could fit in the pistol grip. The mechnical safety could be modified to trip a microswitch. Take out the standard fire control components, and the electronic componenets would drop in. This could be done very easily.

Think of how fast it would shoot!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Mmm... Etronx AR.....

Would Class 3 Manufacturers make a chip that pulses for full-auto?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I know of stuff you can buy at radio shack to make a pulsing citcuit. That would be another issue, it would be too easy to convert to full auto. Unless the manufacturer put in a device to ensure that the triger fully resets between shots.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mmm... Etronx AR.....

Would Class 3 Manufacturers make a chip that pulses for full-auto?

Adding the AR10/AR15 to the mix and what do you have??  Externally variable rate select/burst/full auto thanks to the wonders of science.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone was listing primers. Cost was ONLY $100.00 per thousand. Kinda like buying mags for a weapone you don't have yet. Everyone should buy a 1000 just in case, huh. But if you bought 5000 they were only like $90.00M. Hellofadeal. Were my brother buys all his gun stuff in Kalispell,MT the guy has had one for about 2 years since they came out. Has offered it below cost(about$1100.00) and 5 boxes of ammo (about $20.00 box) and still no takers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
All improvements in technology have to start somewhere...

Prices will come down eventually.  I think that electrical ignition is a cool idea with a lot of promise.

I am watching A&E's 4 part series The History of the Gun, and am at the part about the transition from pinhole ignition to matchlocks.  Pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Reliability is obviously an important concern.  You would probably not want to keep an electrically ignited firearm in your nightstand, or take it on your once-in-a-lifetime hunting trip.  But if you primarily use it to shoot at paper targets, your reliability needs are a little lower.  With time, the reliability may improve to the point where it is comparable to mechanically ignited firearms, which are not 100% reliable anyway.  My trusty Glock, which I keep squeaky clean, had its first failure to feed at the range this weekend.  Not sure what the cause was.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#12]
So, the primers are ignited by an electronic pulse.  This sounds very very bad.  Countless times I been shocked after walking across the carpet and touching something metal.  So, If I pick up this rifle, and somehow cause a spark, the thing is going to FIRE?!?!?!?!?!  This sounds extremely unsafe.  What about water, it could cause corrosion, or a short and primer ignition if rain gets inside when cycling the bolt.

Sounds risky.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So, the primers are ignited by an electronic pulse.  This sounds very very bad.  Countless times I been shocked after walking across the carpet and touching something metal.  So, If I pick up this rifle, and somehow cause a spark, the thing is going to FIRE?!?!?!?!?!  This sounds extremely unsafe.  What about water, it could cause corrosion, or a short and primer ignition if rain gets inside when cycling the bolt.

Sounds risky.

Good question.  I would hope that Remington has thought about this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
If I get it wet is it going to short circut or blow a fuse?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#16]
remington e-mailed me a rebate coupon for $275. for the purcahse of one of these rifles. for shits and giggles i checked the wholesale price, it was like $1,399. too rich for me. SPECIAL OFFER

Dear Valued Remington Customer,

We have a special offer exclusive to Remington web site users.
Until June 30, 2002, purchase a model 700 EtronX centerfire rifle
and get $275 CASH BACK!  A 10% valued customer added incentive for our
e-mail friends.  This 10% incentive is only good on the cash rebate
options.

For details on this limited-time offer or to download coupon CLICK HERE:
http://tm0.com/Remington/sbct.cgi?s=318706769&i=464291&m=1&d=2337255

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
The concept sounds good, although I didn't know that it used special electronic ammo. And being that I am very prone to static shock, I don't think I will be trying one out anytime soon. I have in the past shocked my self really bad, depending on the humidity. I wonder if static electricity alone is enough to set off the round.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I can hear the camp stories now.  " I had that perfect trophy elk in my sights, yep sure was one for the record books, The biggest rack I've ever seen, just 300 yards away, upwind, and with a full broadside standing still shot right in the crosshairs".  "  why did I have to forget about that D%^%* smoke detector"? I had to get a  battery from somewhere so the thing would stop chirping "
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#20]
It'd be a good idea for a bullpup-style rifle (get rid of the bad trigger pull), provided they could provide proper shielding and make it cheap to manufacture/shoot.

Remington had a good idea.  However, it's expensive to be on the bleeding edge.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If I get it wet is it going to short circut or blow a fuse?

Good question.  It is possible to make waterproof electrical and electronic items (waterproof watches and submersible pumps come to mind).  However, like some posters have pointed out, opening the bolt to load a new cartridge would allow water to enter the action.  The electrical primer system would have to be designed to be resistant to the conductive effect of water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top