Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:46:54 PM EST
I just picked up a 11-48 in 20 ga and was wondering if these are any good.
I found one in 12 ga but haven't bought it yet.
Were these any good? Any problems with cycling?

Thanks
Rick
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:28:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 8:38:59 PM EST by A_Free_Man]
The Remington Model 11-48 was a new, updated version of the old Remington Model 11, actually a Browning design.

These are very reliable shotguns. The 11-48's are recoil operated, like a Browning Auto-5, not gas operated.

On the 12 ga there is a tapered split bronze bushing that the recoil spring presses against on the mag tube, where the barrel guides on the mag tube. DO NOT lubricate the bushing or outside of the mag tube. Remington calls this bushing a "friction piece".

The bushing is made so that with hotter loads, the taper wedges it such it grabs the tube tighter. So, it is "self adjusting" for the load. The Browning Auto-5 has a bushing that can be turned one way or the other for various loads.

I seem to remember that the 20 did not have the self adjusting bushing, but I could be wrong.

The trigger group is removed by tapping out the pins, just as you do for the 1100 or 870. Do not try to disassemble all this for cleaning. Just hose it down with gun scrubber, and relubricate. It is not neccessary to clean and relube the trigger group each time you shoot the shotgun.

The barrel is removed by unscrewing the nut on the front of the handguard. The handguard pulls off to the front, then pull the barrel out.

This is as far as you need to strip it for cleaning. You can wipe out the receiver, hose in there with gun scrubber. Lubricate with Rem Oil or Break Free.

The mag tubes are usually dimpled to limit mag capacity to 3 rounds. There is no way to knock out the dimples. BUT you can drill them out. Pry out the mag tube cap with a screwdriver. Remove the spring, let the follower slide on back in. Stuff in a wad of paper towel to catch the shavings. Drill through the holes with 1/8" drill bit. Then smooth any burrs inside the tube with emery cloth glued to a wood dowel. Push the follower forward with a dowel and out the front, pushing out the paper towel and any metal shavings from drilling. Replace the follower and spring, press the mag tube cap back in, and voila! 5 round capacity.

These shotguns will not be usable with steel shot, as NO ONE makes a steel shot barrel. Well, one outfit said they would custom make one, but I could buy a new shotgun for that price.

I chopped my barrel to 18.5", and added a bead front sight. I pried out the mag tube cap, and added a Choate 870 8 shot mag tube extension. The 870 has the same thread as the 11-48. But you need to shorten the end of the mag tube 1/8" or make a 1/8" spacer. I chose to shorten the mag tube. Now the 870 mag extension will make up correctly. You must use a longer mag spring with the extended mag.

The 11-48 12 ga will NOT accept 3" shells, only 2 3/4". Do not attempt to use 3" shells.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:37:46 AM EST
Very good guns, but be advised that the factory no longer has most parts for them should that be an issue for you...which means that any parts you may need will have to either come from used guns or from a source that has hoarded them for years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:20:17 AM EST
Thanks guys. I usually buy modern firearms but I do buy a few of the older stuff.
The 11-48's are being sold at almost a give away price. Not bad for a semi-auto SG.

Rick
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:30:17 PM EST

these are still very popular shotgun, i think because of the resonable prices, we still see alot of them come through the shop for check-ups and minor repairs
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:23:40 PM EST
Ive got a sportsman 48, a higher trim package. I squirrel, rabbit and clay pigieon hunt with it and put over 2000 rounds a year in it and it still works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:30:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 4:32:54 PM EST by wganz]
Had a 12 guage as a teenager that was indestructable.

wganz

Top Top