Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2003 6:56:20 PM EDT
My Granddad is interested in buying a Remington autoloader in 30-06. I understand that there are three:

1. 740
2. 742
3. 7400

So here's the Question:

Which one(s) don't suffer from the bolt peening the guide rails?

Apparently this is a problem that plauged one of the models. This is for my Granddad so I don't want to steer him wrong. Of course he had to ask me, being the certified gun nut of the family.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2003 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If your going to buy an autoloading rifle buy a Browning BAR.  It is the only system that is really worth anything and will give good accuracy.  The remingtons are plagued with problems, all of them as I have the misfortune of repairing these weekly.  Plus the accuracy of the remington is at best bad.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington 740/742/7400/Model 4 rifles suck. They're made for the guy who shoots maybe five or six times a year. They aren't designed or made for any longevity.

Bill's right: if you have to have an autoloader, spend the extra money and get a BAR. It's worth it, you get what you pay for here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to preface this by stating I am not an expert rifleman or gunsmith or such, only that in my experience my own Remington 7400 has been an outstandingly good little autoloader in that it is reliable AND accurate.

I've written about it many times, mostly to tell that story about it.
If you like or want one of these 7400's, I'd say go for it.
Mine has over 300 rounds through it without ever jamming.  I've shot 180's and 220's through it and both were accurate, with the 220's printing a couple/three inches higher.
I've been told the gun would last a bit longer if I switched to 150's.  Maybe, maybe not.  I'll continue to use the 180's I've got, and may try the 150's just for fun.
The gun has seen two configurations so far, with the third still in progress because I have not doted on the gun much lately.
I was playing around with parts and came up with what you see there.  FUN GUN.
It's going back to being the hunting rifle it's intended to be, though.
I'm digging up a picture of the target my buddy shot at 100-yds. with the 220's.  THAT is pretty accurate for a .30-06 carbine autoloader with the 18.5" bbl.

All that said, the BAR is a different rifle and in a catagory unto itself.
I've got one of those, too, in 7mm Rem.Mag.
Yes, it IS accurate; more so than the 7400, but, it's got the B.O.S.S. feature.  Big plus for tuning the accuracy.
I don't know what your grampa wants the gun for, but either one would suffice for hunting.
I think the BAR is preferable for having a 'nice' gun.  It's just SMOOTH!
A BAR Stalker in .308 or .30-06 would be excellent.  The '06 is available with the BOSS.
If you can live with the 4+1 capacity, it'd be a superb choice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I Have a 7400 in .270

I'd say the rifle is average at best. Remington hasen't spent nearly as much time tweaking this gun as the 700.

I've had 1 misfire with less than 100 rnds through it. It's also a very noisy rifle to carry. Lots of rattles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Flash, The 742 is the model you are talking about with the rails wearing out. I hunted with a 742 for 20+ years. During that time I shot the gun 100 -200 times a year. I Killed over 40 deer including 13 good bucks. I never had any problem with it until the last year when the rails were gone and the bolt froze. Remington had a trade in program were you sent in the old gun along with approx 300 dollars and  received a new 7400. I have had the 7400 for three years now killed several deer including three bucks and a hog. I would recommend the 7400 to anyone who wanted an dependable inexpensive hunting rifle that swings like a shotgun. By the way mine in chambered in 30-06. Several of my hunting partners have auto's also including the model 4, 742 and 7400. The two guys with the 742's do not shoot them often so they did not wear out. MIKE.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys,

I'll tell him to go for the 7400, But I probably will mention the BAR. He wants it for hunting, which he hasn't done in 30 years. The thing will probably never see a whole box of Ammo while he owns it unless Me or my Dad shoots it.

I'll ask him about the Model 8 again, its fun to listen to him:

"Those jamming pieces of $h!+, my Dad almost got killed by a moose because of one of those damn things"

Although I've never heard of him or any of his aquaintances being sticklers on firarm maintainence.
Link Posted: 3/20/2003 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I owned a 7400 for a short while. It would not cycle anything except rem bronze points. I sold it after 1/2 A season. Bought a bolt action Ruger M77 and haven't looked back. Autoloading LA rifles aren't really high on my list, M-1 Garand excluded.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I want to preface this by stating I am not an expert rifleman or gunsmith or such, only that in my experience my own Remington 7400 has been an outstandingly good little autoloader in that it is reliable AND accurate.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=6454
I've written about it many times, mostly to tell that story about it.
If you like or want one of these 7400's, I'd say go for it.
Mine has over 300 rounds through it without ever jamming.  I've shot 180's and 220's through it and both were accurate, with the 220's printing a couple/three inches higher.
I've been told the gun would last a bit longer if I switched to 150's.  Maybe, maybe not.  I'll continue to use the 180's I've got, and may try the 150's just for fun.
The gun has seen two configurations so far, with the third still in progress because I have not doted on the gun much lately.
I was playing around with parts and came up with what you see there.  FUN GUN.
It's going back to being the hunting rifle it's intended to be, though.
I'm digging up a picture of the target my buddy shot at 100-yds. with the 220's.  THAT is pretty accurate for a .30-06 carbine autoloader with the 18.5" bbl.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=9165

All that said, the BAR is a different rifle and in a catagory unto itself.
I've got one of those, too, in 7mm Rem.Mag.
Yes, it IS accurate; more so than the 7400, but, it's got the B.O.S.S. feature.  Big plus for tuning the accuracy.
I don't know what your grampa wants the gun for, but either one would suffice for hunting.
I think the BAR is preferable for having a 'nice' gun.  It's just SMOOTH!
A BAR Stalker in .308 or .30-06 would be excellent.  The '06 is available with the BOSS.
If you can live with the 4+1 capacity, it'd be a superb choice.

Not to hijack this thread but, I have a 7400 in 30-06 it will kill deer and has - my question is,What is the best way to clean these muzzle access only gems?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
IMO, he would be better off with a 700 Synthetic. I have been through 742/7400 and don't do them anymore. Pick a reason, too many times cleaning chambers after only a few rounds. Carry cleaning rod to knock out empties, etc. A 760/7600 is a different story. Browning auto over Rem. any day here. But for hands down reliability a bolt gun. If you look at bolt guns, look at Tikka.

Lessons learned the hard way....

MM419
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to hijack this thread but, I have a 7400 in 30-06 it will kill deer and has - my question is,What is the best way to clean these muzzle access only gems?

Do it like I do my M1A, it's not easy. Pull to clean. Run rod down bore, install patch/brush (each time) and pull, repeating as necessary.

It ain't easy, but will save the crown and only use coated rods with brass jags.

MM419
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Another problem with the Remington's.  After about 500 rds. the mag. retention spring on mine wore out.  Every time I touched off a round recoil would blow the mag downwards just enough to cause a FTF.

As for cleaning.  A Bore Snake or similar flexible cleaning tool designed to be place in the barrel from the action and pulled through is always a good alternative.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it like I do my M1A, it's not easy. Pull to clean. Run rod down bore, install patch/brush (each time) and pull, repeating as necessary.

It ain't easy, but will save the crown and only use coated rods with brass jags.

MM419

Get the OTIS kit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top