Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 6:40:34 PM EDT
I got to staring at my box of Federal SRPs, and noticed that they are mercury free.  That is good.

I then looked at teh Remington's to see if they were Merc free as well.  Nope, but I did read this:

Do not use 6.5 srp in high intensity rifle carts. such as the .12 Rem, .222 Rem and the .223 Rem.  Damage to firearm and/or serious injury may result.

What is up with that?

I don't understand their whole # 1/2 naming system, it really is stupid.

Am I stupid as well because I bought the wrong primers.

Don't suggest that I send them to you to dispose of, though!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Wot was it that I read is toxic in primers, that teh manufacturers have an alternative, but don't use due to cost and lack of market demand.

Also, what are these primers?  Magnum?  Are they not standard SRPs?

I plan to use H335 with 25 grains

Da book says that is 35,200 CUP.  Sound safe?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you ment the "lead styphnate" used in making conventional primers?  But, I wouldn't worry too much about the lead exposure IF you're outdoors.

Then............"uses what your book says to use."

Sometimes magnum primers are spec'ed because of the powder that you have chosen (i.e. ball powders).  Speer says.............

Magnum Primers

Magnum primers contain a greater amount and/or slightly different explosive mix than is used in standard primers. On ignition, magnum primers give longer burning, hotter flames. Their use is recommended for (1) any ammunition that will be used at or below zero degrees F., (2) with most Ball powders and (3) with slow burning rifle powders like MRP and IMR 4831 in very large cases. Magnum pistol primers often will give more uniform velocities in magnum handgun cartridges loaded with large charges or slow powders like 296, 2400 and H-110. Magnum primers may be used with faster burning or easy-to-ignite powders, but normally there will be no advantage in doing so. As when changing other components, it is advisable to reduce powder charge weights on initial loading with magnum primers.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

Warning: When primers are selected incorrectly, misfires, damage to your firearm, and/or personal injury may occur. Visit the ballistics tables on our website. Recommended primers for each rifle and pistol cartridge are listed in these tables.

The above is straight from Remington.  the 6.5 SR primer is meant for 30 carbine and other cartridges with lower operating pressures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The primer cup in the 6 1/2 is softer and if used in max or near max loads in .223 (for example) you WILL have  a high percentage of pierced primers.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry.

.223 Rem

55 grain FMJ from MG

Source is Lyman's 49th manyul

24.3 grains = 35,200 CUP

I plan on 25 grains.

I will sell the primers.  Plenty of takers, and I have many other primers.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Primers have not used mercury since black powder days.  Sulfur in black powder combined with mercury vapors, turning it into mercury sulfide which is inert.  Mercury causes brass to become brittle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top