Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:42:13 AM EDT
I looked back a few pages and didn’t see anything on this so I’m going to go ahead and post it up.

Does anyone know of a set up that will work on a VTR .308?  Do I need to just get a new barrel if I want to hush it?

Didn’t really get any good hits on Google either.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get the barrel threaded for a suppressor. I'm running a AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor on my Remington 700 .308 rifle. Had the barrel chopped to 20" and threaded 5/8x24TPI and installed a AAC flash hider mount.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure he is asking because the vtr has a triangle shaped barrel if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just get the barrel threaded for a suppressor. I'm running a AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor on my Remington 700 .308 rifle. Had the barrel chopped to 20" and threaded 5/8x24TPI and installed a AAC flash hider mount.

This is the VTR model with a triangular barrel and it has a break cut into also.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If the barrel has enough meat around the bore to thread it, then it shouldn't be a problem. You will have to cut off the muzzle break part of course. Worst case you can always replace the barrel if needed. Maybe ask ADCO or Tornado Tech or someplace that threads barrels.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the barrel has enough meat around the bore to thread it, then it shouldn't be a problem. You will have to cut off the muzzle break part of course. Worst case you can always replace the barrel if needed. Maybe ask ADCO or Tornado Tech or someplace that threads barrels.

I dont think there is enough meat, but thats a good point, I'm going to ask adco anyways.  Guess I'm going to have to get in touch with Remington to find out if I can replace this barrel wiht a SPS Tac or something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Measure the sides of the triangle and use that to calculate the size of an inscribed circle.  If that circle's diameter is comfortably over .500" you should be able to thread it.  The larger the circle the better, it will accommodate for the bore not being perfectly straight.

Does the brake's rear-most port come within 16" of the bolt face with the bolt closed?  If not, you should have the length required to meet Atf spec.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
sell the rifle, get a 700 aac-sd rifle that is already ready for a can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top