Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2011 4:59:52 PM EDT
My local gun store has a nice old Remington Model 11 hanging on the wall.  Every time I go in, it calls my name.  I swear, it's going to walk out of the store with me one of these days.

I know they are the pre-cursors and directly related to the Browning Auto-5, but have their own uniqueness.

Anyone have experiences with this nice old gun?  For $225, should I just break down and get it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
i have one from my grandfather and i love it
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Great old guns.  Build like tanks and their owners seem to love them.  Parts are getting hard to find now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I love them, $225 may be a little high if it isn't a ribbed barrel or in reasonable condition, also check the fiber "bumper pad" at the back of the hump, M11's had them A-5's didn't, finally check the front hand guard for splitting and see if it has all the recoil dodads in place (square wire spring, two rings over each other and a beveled ring.)  
This is my Pre model 11 "Remington auto loading shotgun" made in 1910, I paid $75 for it two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and it runs anything I put through it.  It's kinda cool having a hand-held tank.

Picture
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thx guys...I will keep my eye on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Charles Askins Jr. killed a couple of Mexicans a month with his. I have always wanted a 22" barrel.

On another night, Askins used the Remington autoloading shotgun, loaded with the 00 buckshot he called "blue whistlers." He recounted:

"They came out of the shadows and, as it was brightest moonlight, I could see every manjack had a long gun in his hands. We let them get up to within nine paces of us and I fired the first shot.

"I had the old Remington with its 9shot magazine and I knocked down the first two rannies in as many shots. I then switched my attention to the other three who did not like the heat. They ran back into Mexico, a distance of about 60 yards and opened fire.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]
will 870 mag extensions fit?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]
With a spacer or if you cut off some of the threads on the mag tube, yes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love them, $225 may be a little high if it isn't a ribbed barrel or in reasonable condition, also check the fiber "bumper pad" at the back of the hump, M11's had them A-5's didn't, finally check the front hand guard for splitting and see if it has all the recoil dodads in place (square wire spring, two rings over each other and a beveled ring.)  

This is important.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
is there an easy way to make the sportsman take more than 3 shells?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
is there an easy way to make the sportsman take more than 3 shells?

Kind of, you have to replace the mag tube, the spring, the hand guard and the mag cap, you are probably better getting a five shot model, unless it is a killer deal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
To get the Sportsman to hold 4 shots in the magazine:

1. Unscrew forend retaining nut
2. Remove forend
3. Unscrew slotted (muzzle) end of magazine tube
4. Cut off aluminum rod which limits magazine capacity (you may be able unscrew the rod - mine wouldn't come out so I dremeled mine)
5. Reassemble

Enjoy your 4 + 1 shot Sportsman
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I always thought the Remington 11 came after the Browning A-5...

Anyway, check what version it is.  The "sport" also only shoots shorter shot shells 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 I think.  Mine doesn't even look like it will take 2 3/4. (Haven't tried it yet, it's a hand me down I am not really all that interested in.)
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

will 870 mag extensions fit?

Yes.  A spacer is needed though, but pretty easy to fab up.

The recoil system works in conjunction with the fore-stock being tight.  

Somewhere in this 20+ page thread of awesomeness is info on Auto-5/ Rem 11's.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=392628&page=1

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#15]
What did you want it for? I personally would want a 3 1/2 gun for Canadas. If it's a "just because" gun, get it. Ask if she'll do $175 or full price minus tax and state fee if you give her cash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd rather have a Browning Auto5.  I would want the magazine cutoff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 3. My grandfather's pre-Model 11 RAS from 1909, a 1921 in full hunting form and a homebuilt riot gun. The riot gun started as a no barrel or wood receiver group that I found a barrel for on Ebay and wood through gunstocks.com. I had to finish the fitting of the wood, which I really enjoyed doing. I did a lot of dove and rabbit hunting with grandad's 1909 until the ring on the barrel that the mag tube fits through bent the weld and tweaked the mag tube. I have heard that can be a problem with the older Model 11s. I like the way you can tune it for different loads by moving the position of the different recoil parts.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I see them all the time for <$200.  They don't seem to have any collector interest, and I don't believe any parts are interchangeable with the A-5, so there isn't much shooter interest.  Cool guns, but I'd rather buy an A-5 and have some parts support.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have 3. My grandfather's pre-Model 11 RAS from 1909, a 1921 in full hunting form and a homebuilt riot gun. The riot gun started as a no barrel or wood receiver group that I found a barrel for on Ebay and wood through gunstocks.com. I had to finish the fitting of the wood, which I really enjoyed doing. I did a lot of dove and rabbit hunting with grandad's 1909 until the ring on the barrel that the mag tube fits through bent the weld and tweaked the mag tube. I have heard that can be a problem with the older Model 11s. I like the way you can tune it for different loads by moving the position of the different recoil parts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/Model11Adj.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/Model11.jpg

That looks fucking sweet with a short barrel!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my Remington M 11 R. Shoots everything I have tried so far with no problems.
RLTW

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one with a four-digit serial number, first year of production in 1905, I think.  This is back before they even had the Model 11 designation.  The old girl is in the shop right now getting ready for another hundred years of service.  I would buy that one you spotted in a flash, but I just have a thing for the sight picture afforded by that old hump-back design.

Edited to add: I just saw the post above about the $75 shotgun.  Damn.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have one with a four-digit serial number, first year of production in 1905, I think.  This is back before they even had the Model 11 designation.  The old girl is in the shop right now getting ready for another hundred years of service.  I would buy that one you spotted in a flash, but I just have a thing for the sight picture afforded by that old hump-back design.

Edited to add: I just saw the post above about the $75 shotgun.  Damn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Guevera/d3af1ff6.jpg

"Damn" good or "damn" bad?

It really started out looking like a 75 dollar shotgun, broken ejector, no butt pad and butt pad holes striped out, cracked stock and fore grip, no finish left on the barrel or receiver, there is a flat spot on the left side of both pieces of wood probably from riding in someones or anothers truck for the last 100 years.
Fixed the ejector, re-drilled the butt pad holes and installed the butt pad, reglued the stock and fore grip, oiled the metal up, reinstalled the front bead after cutting the barrel (I have no use for a 28 in full choked barrel with a bulge before the choke from someone shooting steel in it, now an 18.5 in cyl, bore on the other hand...) and added the recoil pad, now it is ready to ride in my truck and my kids truck and my grandkids truck for at least another 100 years.

Does your have a fiber recoil pad or where those only put on the model 11's?
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The Remington Autoloading shotguns didn't use the fiber cushion, this wasn't introducted until 1911 with the Model 11, which coinsided with the introduction of heavy 12gauge loads. The heavier loads caused the bolt to travel all of the way back into the reciever which caused peening and breakage of the firing pin. The fiber cushion acts as a buffer between the bolt and reciever, preventing this peening.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks, just wanted to be 100% sure, I only use standard game loads and normal 2 3/4 9 pellet OO buck and the occasional reduced recoil slug and haven't seen any damage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does your have a fiber recoil pad or where those only put on the model 11's?

No, I meant "damn good."  I think a project gun like that would be a lot of fun.  

And no, consistant with what Triangle-66 says above, mine doesn't seem to have a buffer at the back of the receiver nor provision for one.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I have two Remington M11's, one's a Military Finish, the other is a standard Model 11.  I also have a Savage 720, all work well and I have no issue's with any of the three.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Remington Model 11 that I got as an inheritance. It became one of those expensive free guns. When I got it, it was covered with a nice patina of rust. It also had a couple of bulges in the barrel. I found a replacement barrel and a gunsmith who thought it would be fun to restore a Model 11. I set it up for IPSC 3 gun competition. It now has rifle sights, a 25” barrel with removable choke tubes and a Ramline plastic forearm (they are unbreakable, unlike the wood forearms which split over time). I also have a mag extension, which I mount using a spacer, which gives it a capacity of 11 rds. It shoots Remington Foster slugs into less than 3” from a bench at 50 yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top