Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 8:34:47 AM EDT
I am looking for a new bolt gun, preferably in 308.  It seems hard to go wrong with a remington 700!  People have had great things to say about the PSS, but I desire something very accurate, but fairly handy too.  I think the 26" barrel would be a bit much for a smaller guy like myself to carry around without snagging on stuff.  Does anyone have experience with the police light tactical rifle?  It looks like a PSS, but with a 20" fluted bull barrel.  If it's a tack driver, it sound like what I'm looking for...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got my 700 PSS in 300WINMAG and it is a very nice shooter. You will need to find someone to do the trigger though because from the factory they suck big time. The joke is each 700PSS trigger come with a remington atty!!

My local shop also got the LTR in at the same time and it is a nice pakage as well.  I wanted the WINMAG so it wasnt really a big deal. But if you want the smaller bbl with the fluting the LTR is the way to go. The fluting is not very deep and I question really ow funtcional it is but overall you should be real happy with either PSS. Also, the PSS models do not have the extra politically correct safety!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can find one, just buy the Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in .308 Win. These are light enough at about 7 lbs and have a 22" barrel. While not as accurate as a PSS or Varmint model, I am sure you will find Remington's short action just fine in the accuracy department. I have one of these in .243 that will do 1" @ 100 yds. Had a long action once in 30-06 that did pretty well too, but wasn't an MOA rifle. I guess the short actions are just naturally a little more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth,

I have a factory LTR in .308 (which admittedly needs a trigger job as soon as it gets back from threading the barrel @ AWC), while one of my shootin' buddies has the PSS.  He sent his PSS off & had all kinds of accurizing stuff done.  When we compared them at the range we got .5 MOA with both shooting Match factory ammo @ 100 & 200 yds. Neither of us are sniper/competition type shooters, so I have to say it's the rifles.  Maybe more difference will be proven when we find a longer range....

I recommend the LTR without reservation.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am looking for a new bolt gun, preferably in 308.  It seems hard to go wrong with a remington 700!  People have had great things to say about the PSS, but I desire something very accurate, but fairly handy too.  I think the 26" barrel would be a bit much for a smaller guy like myself to carry around without snagging on stuff.  Does anyone have experience with the police light tactical rifle?  It looks like a PSS, but with a 20" fluted bull barrel.  If it's a tack driver, it sound like what I'm looking for...

Rem made the original PSS's in 24" barrels. I have one and it shoots really well. Maybe you can find one of them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For what it's worth,

I have a factory LTR in .308 (which admittedly needs a trigger job as soon as it gets back from threading the barrel @ AWC), while one of my shootin' buddies has the PSS.  He sent his PSS off & had all kinds of accurizing stuff done.  When we compared them at the range we got .5 MOA with both shooting Match factory ammo @ 100 & 200 yds. Neither of us are sniper/competition type shooters, so I have to say it's the rifles.  Maybe more difference will be proven when we find a longer range....

I recommend the LTR without reservation.  Good luck.

I'd love to know what his PSS was shooting before he had it modified.  Based on my own experience and reading of others, I bet his rifle was pretty close to .5 MOA out of the box.

IMHO, These rifles are plenty accurate out of the box (Yes the triggers could be much better and/or more easily adjustable)for their intended role.  Addtionally, to get a wee bit greater intrinsic accuracy you're going to spend a great deal of money and then unless you are a avid long distance shooter will not be able to use the addtional accuracy.

Not saying a Robar or the like wouldn't be nice if you have the duckets.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the words of wisdom.  I'm not so much interested in the fluting as the shorter length.  I don't mind the weight, but lugging a 26" barrel through the brush sucks.  Texashark, I saw that some PSS are available with a 24" barrel.  If I can find one new, I may go for that.  It seems hard to justify buying used vs new because the price difference is pretty small right now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
What year did you get yours?  I got mine in Sept of 1994 and I thought that was the earliest year.  Am I wrong?  Mine has the 26" barrel, which I was told was standard when they were introduced.  Was the 24" standard originally?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both a 26" bbl .308 PSS and a .308 LTR with 20" bbl.

You can't go wrong with the LTR. For an out-of-box rifle it's great.  Highly desirable too: look at the prices of 700LTRs vs 700PSS on the web.

It's light & handy as well; good balance.

While I haven't shot my PSS yet (I've shot my friend's, and love it) - changing scope setup, etc. my new LTR is OOOH LA LA. Trigger's OK, a Timney, etc. drop in module would prob lighten things up a bit.

I put a Burris FullfieldII 6-20X (nice scope) on my LTR and ran some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo thru it.  Filtering out flyers as shooter error (the rifle's way bettern' the shooter!),
I got several dime-sized 3-hole cloverleafs. Left the range and had a steak dinner I felt so good!

Friends' PSS' shoot that well too, and don't worry about fancy break-in procedures. [There is a legitimate school of thought - Gale McMillan & others, no less - that break-in just adds additional wear & tear, and that your calibration is then set up to a bbl that always has to be babied.] We've shot PSS' with 20-30 rounds btwn cleaning, and don't notice any difference than with a PSS that's been babied.

Surprisingly, Radway Green surplus Brit .308 in my Armalite AR10A2 20" is quite wonderful. Shot my in Oregon off the hood of a truck (fertilizer bag for a rest!) at some targets about 85-90 yds away, got quite a few honest 3/4" groups. On a bench woulda been better - more of 'em & tighter I think.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What year did you get yours?  I got mine in Sept of 1994 and I thought that was the earliest year.  Am I wrong?  Mine has the 26" barrel, which I was told was standard when they were introduced.  Was the 24" standard originally?

I got mine in the '94 or '95 range as a gift. I later began to see them in the 26 inch barrel and assumed the 26" was a later issue. Haven't seen any 24" advertised new, so once again assumed that 26" was the only length available, but haven't checked.(You know the old saying about assume).
I had my gun milled for a stipper clip slot, and added sights and a bloop tube to shoot hi-power. The gun shot well with 155 palmas,168s and 180s. I shot a couple of 148's out of 150 @900 and 1000 yds with essentially a factory gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, double checked but could not find  a date of acquisition, but definitely a PSS and definitely 24".
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I cant comment on the PSS but I can on Remington in general.  I have a VS in 308 and a Sendero in 300 win mag.  I also have a Sendero on layaway chambered in .338RUM.  With the VS I can shoot 3/4" groups just messing around with factory ammo.  So I know it can do better.  I havnt shot the Sendero yet because the optics cost more than the gun and I just picked up the gun.  I plan on getting Nightforce NXS scopes for the Sendero's.  

I dont think you can go wrong with with the LTR or PSS.  If you want to save a bit of cash go with the VS or Sendero.  Almost the exact same thing except for stock and finish.  I plan on getting McMillan A4 stocks for all of them so I didnt spend the extra money.  Plus you cant get the .338RUM in a PSS.  

What ever you do, dont go cheap on optics and mounts!

They look kinda lonely, they need the .338 to hang out with  
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a Remington.

Look at my new baby. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=135017
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You will need to find someone to do the trigger though because from the factory they suck big time.

I agree. Both of the PSS rifles that I have owned have had triggers exceeding 9#. Now my trigger is a crisp, safe 30 ounces.

Remington Trigger Adjustment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top