Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2010 8:58:12 AM EDT
I have a Remington 870 Express HD model with the Rem +2 ext. factory installed - so there are no "dimples" in the mag tube. However, about 8/10 times when I load the tube, I can only get five 2 3/4" shells (or four 3") before they stop dead. Sometimes I can push past the stoppage and get in all six. The spring shoudln't be binding at the coupler because I'm pretty sure that the ext. and mag tube are meeting inside the coupler (and not leaving a seam). I always install the coupler first, then the mag tube and tap the side to make sure the spring doesn't get caught when screwing on the ext.

Not sure what else it could be. But there is the ring inside the ext. (from the groove on the outside). Maybe that could be causing the problem? Also, the spring that comes with the weapon is smaller than the ID of the mag tube - so it's not properly guided as it compresses. How could Rem overlook these design flaws?

Anyone else experience this? Should I get a different brand ext.? I'm a little cheesed I would have to go aftermarket on a factory part that should work (and is worth $100).
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:00:00 AM EDT
The groove in the extension tube is so the screw for the barrel clamp will interlock with the tube. This prevents the barrel clamp from moving under recoil. The groove also gives the smaller diameter spring room to pass up into the extension and gives the spring the correct amount of room to compress but prevents forcing in too many shells and jamming the gun. It's a very good design no other maker has copied.

First step is to insure the extension is assembled correctly. To do that, disassemble it, check it , then reassemble the right way.

To disassemble:
Unscrew and remove the barrel clamp screw and slide the clamp off the gun.

Unscrew the magazine tube itself from the collar. Note that the spring is LONG and STRONG, wear safety glasses.
What I do is keep a strong grip on the tube as I unscrew it, and as soon as it comes free, ease up on the tube and get your fingers on the spring. Ease the extension tube off and allow the spring to ease out slowly.
Remove the spring from the gun.

Unscrew the coupling collar from the gun.
Note that for unknown reasons, Remington often installs these collars so tight, you need a strap wrench or padded pliers to get it loose. If you scar it up, call Remington and complain. They'll send you a new collar.

Inspect the rear end of the of the extension tube and the front end of the gun's magazine tube for:
Oval shape from being squashed or squeezed.
Burrs or inward facing metal. The inside edges of both tubes should be lightly beveled so no sharp edges can catch.
Dents in the end of the tube.
Check the extension tube for damage farther up the tube, such as dents or being oval shaped from damage.
Inspect the spring for kinks or damage.
Inspect the magazine follower for damage or distortion. You may want to buy a new magazine follower like the excellent Wilson/Scattergun green version. The thin Remington factory version can deform.

To reassemble the right way.
Screw the collar on the gun until it's snug, then give it one more "click". You should be able to unscrew the collar with just your fingers. The detent on the front face of barrel ring will prevent the collar from unscrewing.

Install the spring and screw the magazine extension on the collar. Screw the tube on until it JUST contacts the gun's magazine tube. If the extension is screwed on too tight, the pressure may cause the tubes to misalign, causing jams.
If you screw it on too loose, the small gap may cause jams.

Slip the barrel clamp on the gun and install the screw through the clamp and the groove in the extension. The screw should be snug but not tight enough to strip.

Take the gun out to the range and load with GOOD shells. Note that cheap shells may cause jams. The bulk shells sold by places like Walmart are known for causing various problems. Cycle the shells through the gun several times to insure proper operation.

Bottom line, the Remington factory extension is one of the best ever made. The police have used them since the early 1950's with no trouble. The commercial version as used on the Express HD guns may have burrs or damage that can cause jams.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:57:13 AM EDT
A very important basic step when installing a tube extension was left out in the above almost perfect description by the Wheel. When you get the tube almost tight, take the heel of your hand and pop the mag tube coupleing a couple times. You may hear the spring pop out. Then tighten the tube the rest off the way on and finish as the Wheel states.

What happens is that the tube gets tighten down on the spring. the spring pops out latter but there is a cap there for the spring to hang up on and when it does you can not fully load the magazine tube. Every time a guy post he can't fully load his magazine tube I describe the correct steps and he follows them and realizes it was an incorrect install problem as his issue is resolved.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:15:21 PM EDT
Thank you both for the replies. I've done business with with on gunbroker aippi - you're awesome! Maybe if I bought one of your Rem's there would be no problems - your builds are impressive! When I get home from work tonight I will go through the steps again as you both suggested. Aippi, I see that you use the Wilson/scattergun extension on most of your builds. Do you think this one is better than the factory (i.e. less likely to have spring binding - just put it on and forget it )? Also, the Scattergun extension doesn't apparently need barrel clamp - is this correct?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:58:10 PM EDT
I use the Wilsons on all my personal Remington Shotguns. The mag tube coupling is stand alone so barrel bracket is needed. It is also a one piece unit and screws right off if there is an issue, so no screw driver needed. The Remington barrel bracket is an issue. It mars your barrel down to bare steel where it makes contact. It is a one piece bracket and when you first take the screw out and slide it off you can scratches the barrel on both sides and the mag tube. However if you give a minute to spring out some and are careful you can avoid this. Just gotta remember that. The Wilson parkerized two shot Extension cost $45 anywhere. Remington does not allow me to sell a new parkerized LE Extension to anyone but LEO's but lets Brownell's sell them and Brownells does not restrict them and they get $111 for one. Not worth it in my book. Since I, like all other customizers simply buy stock model 870 from a firearms distributors, I buy the 25007 that comes with matte finish 2 shot extensions. I parkerize them and since they are gun smith take offs, I can sell them. My problem is I talk guys into the Wilson which I make almost nothing on. So, I have over 70 Remington LE extensions in my shop. I either need to shut up (which I can't do) or land a large Department rebuild with a Chief or Sheriff that wants OEM parts only.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:39:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By aippi:
I use the Wilsons on all my personal Remington Shotguns. The mag tube coupling is stand alone so barrel bracket is needed. It is also a one piece unit and screws right off if there is an issue, so no screw driver needed. The Remington barrel bracket is an issue. It mars your barrel down to bare steel where it makes contact. It is a one piece bracket and when you first take the screw out and slide it off you can scratches the barrel on both sides and the mag tube. However if you give a minute to spring out some and are careful you can avoid this. Just gotta remember that. The Wilson parkerized two shot Extension cost $45 anywhere. Remington does not allow me to sell a new parkerized LE Extension to anyone but LEO's but lets Brownell's sell them and Brownells does not restrict them and they get $111 for one. Not worth it in my book. Since I, like all other customizers simply buy stock model 870 from a firearms distributors, I buy the 25007 that comes with matte finish 2 shot extensions. I parkerize them and since they are gun smith take offs, I can sell them. My problem is I talk guys into the Wilson which I make almost nothing on. So, I have over 70 Remington LE extensions in my shop. I either need to shut up (which I can't do) or land a large Department rebuild with a Chief or Sheriff that wants OEM parts only.

Heehee - you talked me out of a heavy sear spring for the police trigger group you sold me. BTW do you sell just the heavy carrier dog spring? I don't think Rem has a part number for it. I would like to upgrade the polymer trigger group that the P trigger group replaced. Also, do you sell the police extractor by itself?
Top Top