Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 11:21:46 AM EDT
I'm looking to pickup another Remington 870.  I've always had the Home Defense or other Express model with the polymer trigger group.  I can pick up the HD model for around $250 where as the Police runs about $450.  Is the Police worth the extra money?  I guess with the HD model I'll spend $50 right away on a Wilson mag extension so that puts it at a $150 difference.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Where can you get the police model for $450? I've been looking for one forever!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
why would you need to get a wilson mag extension for the HD? My HD came with a amg extension already on it, course i payed 325 for mine so maybe there are different models of the HD. I was all hot to get a police model until my local shop talked me into the HD model that i got. only difference that i can tell is the finish from the police to mine. i ma sure there others but i cant tell.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
why would you need to get a wilson mag extension for the HD? My HD came with a amg extension already on it, course i payed 325 for mine so maybe there are different models of the HD. I was all hot to get a police model until my local shop talked me into the HD model that i got. only difference that i can tell is the finish from the police to mine. i ma sure there others but i cant tell.

Yes, there are two models I think.  One with and without the extension.  I read somewhere that they spend a lot more time tuning the police model but I've never shot or even handled one.  So I dont really know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
ahh, i see after reading the link ikor posted, i have the model 5077. thanks for the link ikor, always was curious as to the exact differences in the 2 models. ThePrepared_com ,  all i can really say after reading that post is that i love my HD model and would buy another one if i needed another shotgun. the extra money to me doesnt really seem worth it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my 870 Police a few years ago from auctionarms.com for $325 from a man in Montana. It was an "estate" gun. If it was ever fired, it was fired very, very little. It appeared new to me. I love heavy duty stuff. Strong, stable, and able to last beyond a lifetime. I think it's worth the extra cost, if it'll cost you extra. I don't understand why people agonize over the expense of a firearm when the expense of the ammo they're going to shoot in it and the range fees they're going to spend shooting it will eventually be more than the price paid for the gun. Get what you want. Just don't go shooting a couple times that you'd usually go and you've saved the money you spent getting the gun you really wanted. Ever heard of "penny wise, pound foolish"? Get what you want. Stop feeling guilty about it.

GL
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a Police Magnum two weeks ago. I could have sworn the dealer told me it was a police trade-in but that just can't be the case. The gun looks like it just came out of the box, except for two small scratches on the receiver. The stock nor the forearm has a scratch on it, nor is there any noticeable wear. The parkerized finish is in pristine condition. The best part is that I paid $299 for it.

ETA- It also has rifle sights on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of police agencies run a replacement program.
They figure out about how long the "average" service life of a gun is, then when time's up, they trade in the old guns for new ones.

What this means is, the old guns will run from like-new guns that saw little use, to guns that are clapped-out, beaten, and battered wrecks.

Since the average police shotgun sits in a car trunk or duty rack in the car, they see a lot of handling and finish wear, and sometimes flat out abuse, but little actual firing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.  I'm pretty much stuck on the 870 police.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Remmy HD (#5077) follow me home from Sportsmans Warehouse last weekend. $269 and it had the factory mag tube extension. Looks like it will be a keeper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thansk for everyones input.  I went ahead and picked up a 870 Police with rifle sights and sythetic stock.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say NO it's not worth the extra.. Unless your are going into combat with it.. If your just playin Rambo at the range, buy some extras with the saved money..  Remember, if anything does break, there is a warranty, and the 870 is easily worked on..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd say NO it's not worth the extra.. Unless your are going into combat with it.. If your just playin Rambo at the range, buy some extras with the saved money..  Remember, if anything does break, there is a warranty, and the 870 is easily worked on..

I'd rather not worry about how much abuse the gun gets.  Besides you never know when you may have to depend on the gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid $150 for my used 870 Police, almost two years ago at a local gun shop.  I believe it was a police trade-in.

Of course, I've since put a S/F foreend, a mag extension, a barrel clamp with sling swivel, a CQB Solutions three-point sling, Scattergun tritium sights (front & rear), Wilson Hi-Viz follower, Big Head Safety, Mesa Tactical low-rise stock adapter, an M-4 6-position stock, and a M/T 6-round shell holder on it.

Price, as I paid for it:
$150 shotgun
$225 foreend
$  25 mag extension
$  20 bbl clamp
$  30 sling
$125 sights
$  25 follower
$  25 safety
$000 stock, stock adapter and shell holder (payment for modelling for M/T ad photos)
------
$625 all together, not bad if you ask me
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I paid $150 for my used 870 Police, almost two years ago at a local gun shop.  I believe it was a police trade-in.

Of course, I've since put a S/F foreend, a mag extension, a barrel clamp with sling swivel, a CQB Solutions three-point sling, Scattergun tritium sights (front & rear), Wilson Hi-Viz follower, Big Head Safety, Mesa Tactical low-rise stock adapter, an M-4 6-position stock, and a M/T 6-round shell holder on it.

Price, as I paid for it:
$150 shotgun
$225 foreend
$  25 mag extension
$  20 bbl clamp
$  30 sling
$125 sights
$  25 follower
$  25 safety
$000 stock, stock adapter and shell holder (payment for modelling for M/T ad photos)
------
$625 all together, not bad if you ask me

Sounds like a great setup!  Where are our pictures!

Sometimes local gun shops and pawn shops are great places to find shotguns.  I picked up 2 1100's a couple years back for $150 a piece.  They were in pretty bad shape but I was able to put on new stocks, refinish the metal, cut the barrels to 18.5", tune the gas ports and add magazine extensions.  When all was said and done I something like $400 into each gun and they were sweet shooters!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that the police mod is a grate gun but I think for most  they seem like  over kill;   when I worked for a local dealer I sold a area police depatment the HD modles and they have used them for going on 5 years.

most departments only have Q's once or twice a year and only pratice shotgun work a little so the HD would last a department for a long time
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe so, but matte blue is crappy when it comes to rust resistance when compared to parkerized.  The abuse of the police shotgun does not come from firing it.  It comes from handling it getting it in and out of the car and exposure to the elements.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have both an 870 Express and a Police. (My first gun as a kid was actually, well, a Daisy, then a Nylon 66, then a 20 ga Wingmaster).  

If you search around you can find some of the upgrades/mods on the 870P. That said, I remember reading something from a LE trainer noting that one dept. had 870 Express shotguns and had no problems with 'em.

FYI I have seen used 870P (got one) in the $170 - $270 range in Virginia (Potomac Arms, all are gone) and last summer, about the same range, a BARREL of 870P with wood/blue at Kesselring's in WA state.  They are pretty tough, and what might break on them are small/replaceable parts; so consider looking for used Police guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top