Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 10:59:39 PM EDT
this photo from the net sums it up

the threads do not go all the say back, the gap is the diameter of the major threads, and when I put a can on the rifle there is a gap. I don't want to have to machine the barrel or the cans if I have to. Can I use a shim? I know washers are bad but what about a wave washer?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem with my 700 AAC-SD.  I used shims.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, that Remington QC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]
mine is the same way, i cut my form 1 can, so it would shoulder...id say all those guns where spec'd to use a AAC QD mount. early guns shipped with one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy a jam nut for it to shoulder on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ah, that Remington QC.
View Quote
Mine had a giant burr on the crown.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
AAC's "special" thread spec for 5/8x24 direct thread doesn't call for a thread relief. I guess they are counting on a counterbore on the thread mount.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ah, that Remington QC.
View Quote

Doesn't look like a quality control issue to me
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What shims? Jam nut?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My cmmg was the same way. I used a crush washer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
A crush washer is to NEVER be used on a Gemtech can.  It is spelled out on their site and in the instructions.  I wouldn't use one on any can.

A shim can be used, however, a relief cut is what is missing on those threads.  Some suppressors have a slight bevel at the entrance of the threads to ease installation, and to clear this area in the event a relief cut is missing.  

If your can doesn't bottom out on the shoulder, or on shims, you will have an end cap strike.  This is how I found out about this issue.  Luckily mine was very light and I notice my bullets tumbling by the special sound that makes.

Wave washers are a bad idea too.

I have had it happen a few times.  I have sent can adapters back to have them cut properly.  I have also sent two barrels back.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What shims? Jam nut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What shims? Jam nut?
Gemtech sells very nice shim kits.  I bet the Silencer Store has them in stock too.  The 5/8 can be hard to find when you are in a jam.  I recently had a Noveske barrel with very long treading.  My HVT quickmount would not bottom out with a full shim kit.  I needed two.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top