Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 5:59:41 PM EDT
I was looking at one of these the other day. It looks like a well-built little rifle. Is this Remington's answer to the 10/22? Is it any good? Does it work with CCI Stingers? I'm in the market for a .22 rifle, and if anyone can send some of these answers my way I'd be very grateful.

ANM
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my 597, the only problem I've had with it is the plastic mag, which you can replace with a metal on easily, I think big-5 has them. You do get a little more than you pay for though, I think mine was 120 with a tasco scope on it. It shoots pretty decent at 50 yards for me, but if you want a super accurate shooter, the 10/22 is your safe bet. There are more accesories for it, and I don't know if you can get a heavy barrel for the 597. And I have used stingers in my rifle w/out a problem, but thats just my experience.Excellent for a first .22.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Got one for my girlfriend, and so far so good. Been using mostly CCI mini-mags and Federal ammo. Some people have had lots of jams with plastic or metal mags and say to download them to 7 rounds or so. In our case, we load them up to full 10, no problem whatsoever, plastic or metal mags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The only gun I ever threw away was a Remington 597. It now resides in the local landfill (in many pieces). Just buy a Ruger 10/22 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I only have two complaints about my 597, One is the trigger pull feels weird and the other is that even with the metal mags if you shoot the solid lead bullets it leves a track of lead up the front of the mag where the nose of the bullets rub on it. This binds up the fallower after 30 rounds or so. It can be cleand by taking the mag apart and scrubing it with a stantard .22 bore brush. Of course it is easier to just shoot copper plated bullets
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Remington model 597, though its the magnum model, good rifle.  The I own four plastic mags, never have had a serious problem with them they feed reliably even when they get a little dirty.  The occassional FTF but thats about it.

One problem is their trigger, it is heavy and very stiff.  Other than that I don't have many problems with the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top