Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2011 8:06:06 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I can find Remington 522 Viper magazines cheaper than $50? Is there another magazine that will fit this gun? Something that may even take a little modification? I got to looking at a magazine for the Nylon 77 and it looks very similar in the area that contacts the release.

These are my 522 mag

There are the Nylon 77 mag

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
the rigle was only produced for a few years ('93-'98... so 5 years). sorry, i have no clue if the Rem 66 or 77 mags would work...they might, but then they might not.

ther's no way in hell i'd drop $50 for a plastic mag for that thing. you'd be better off yo sell it off or stick it in the back of the closet and buy something that has better parts availability. that's one thing that makes the 10/22 so nice.

when i saw these in the stores the odd magazine looked like ti would be a problem... then the rifle disappeared, so your post is not a surprise.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
$50 mags are metal. Someone seems to be currently making them, but I haven't found out who. As far as selling it, that's not going to happen. I got it for Christmas when I was 10 or 11 years old. I just want to pick up a couple extra mags without spending a fortune.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$50 mags are metal. Someone seems to be currently making them, but I haven't found out who. As far as selling it, that's not going to happen. I got it for Christmas when I was 10 or 11 years old. I just want to pick up a couple extra mags without spending a fortune.

The rifle has value to you so keep it. I still have the .22 rifle my Dad taught all us kids on back in the 1950's. I will never sell it. (Remington 514 single shot) But, its not a daily shooter. I get it out once every year or so just for fun and pop off a few rounds to remember squirrel hunting with Dad.

But, when it comes to the Vipere....they dropped them as they never took off. I saw a new one, still in the box, at a gun show last year for a cheap price. Dealer couldn't give it away. Nothing against your rifle but: (From Wikipedia)

"The Viper replaced the Remington Nylon 66, a rifle beloved by many. Early reviews were generally positive, but enough people had problems that the Viper never really took off. Early production Vipers had a hefty steel magazine typically described as "bulletproof". Later production Vipers came with plastic magazines that were often problematic.

The Viper was succeeded by the Remington 597. Due to its short production history and mediocre acceptance by gun owners, a Viper accessory market never materialized
."

Keep the rifle, hang it on a wall and then go buy a Rem. 597 or a Ruger 10/22 to use as a daily shooter. You can bet a Ruger 10/22 for what a few mags for your Viper cost. You can always pull the Viper off the rack on your birthday or whatever and shoot it for sentimental memories.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here are  some...metal ones?..

Viper magazine
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep the rifle, hang it on a wall and then go buy a Rem. 597 or a Ruger 10/22 to use as a daily shooter. You can bet a Ruger 10/22 for what a few mags for your Viper cost. You can always pull the Viper off the rack on your birthday or whatever and shoot it for sentimental memories.

or a Marlin 795.

if you wanto pimp it out, the 10/22 is king. 597 comes in a few varieties from the factory, but not many parts available aftermarket, including high cap mags.

also not really any high cap mags for the 795.

not suggesting that you "need" hi cap, but hey are fun and popular.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Numrich has replacement mags for $41 and change.

i don't know if thse are the same mags as the $50 steel ones, but how i don't think that there are many companies making or that have made mags for this rifle.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4293
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered 2 from numrich a while back for mine. They are metal, and aside from the finish seem to be identical to the metal factory ones. The factory ones were a blued finish, and the ones I got from numrich seem to be painted. I used to have 2 factory ones, one got lost years ago, the other decided to hide itself at some point during my move to ft Campbell. I used the factory metal ones a lot in the past with no major issues, I haven't used the replacement ones much yet but for at least a couple hundred rounds they have worked at least as good as my old ones. I have a friend who had one of the plastic ones, and it was fairly problematic.

I hated to spend as much as I did for the two replacement mags, but since my viper was the first rifle I saved my own money for I would never get rid of it, and it was pretty much useless with no mags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw some original NIB at the the last funshow and they wanted $27. I got rid of mine years ago as the trigger pull was 5 times the weight of the rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top