Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 10:43:29 AM EDT
Rem. 1100CM for Trap?
I know, I know, it's not a trap gun, but I wanted to break it in and the trap range is close. 22 inch barrel, modified choke, 7-1/2 shot.

After a few practice shots to get the feel of the gun, posted a 19/25 for the first go round. A few questions tho':

Choke Choice? I tried to compensate for the short barrel by using a modified choke. Could I get away with a skeet or improved choke for a larger pattern? Does barrel length have anything to do with pattern size?

Anyone else do this? I caught a little heat from the "Range Pro" for shooting a short barrel/extended mag. shotgun on "his" range. Seems to think anything under 24" shouldn't be allowed on his range. Heck, my wife shoots a youth 1100 with a 21"bbl. According to him, my shotgun is for something else than playing shooting games. I tried to explain to him that I was planning to use it for 3 gun matches. That didn't go over well. I guess too "barbaric" for his taste.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Ignore all the pricks that think you need a 5000 dollar gun to shoot trap. I enjoy putting up better numbers than most of them with my 870. I can't get enough of it.

My buddy and I went to the local range two summers ago. His only shotgun at the time was a 500 with 18in. barrel, synthetic stock, and a heat shield. He looked like an ass I must admit, but on a thursday when there were very few people out who cares. Jonny highbrow asked him where the riot was, and he resopnded, "at your house". Needless to say he was not very amused, and he decied to leave.

I just don't see why people feel it necessary to belittle someone because of the gun they choose to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
19/25 is not too bad.

A little about barrel length and chokes. In the old days with old powders, it took a longer barrel for all the powder to burn. That's why the "standard" of barrel lengths and chokes developed. Until screw in chokes became the standard (late 70s), the standards were -
26" - Improved
28" - Modified
30" - Full

Today, that is not the case. It takes 21" of barrel for the powder to burn, giving you maximum velocity. The length of barrel (over 21") has no bearing on the choke or pattern at all. The old timers still say if it's not a 30" barrel, it can't have a full choke.

If you go with a Imp choke, you may have to get on the birds quicker. I would recommend you pattern both and see what the gun likes.

Thanks,
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You can shoot trap with a more open choke, but you better be quick. They call it rifle shooting with a shotgun, and that is at least partly true. The tighter chokes will allow you more time to aim below the bird a little. The genteel set doesn't like to see guys busting birds barely out of the house, but that's where you need to be busting them with an open choke.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
TV, The choke used determines the distance you can shoot and still get a full pattern. For full choke that distance is 40+ yards, modified choke 35+ yards and improved cylinder 25+ yards. If you are shooting standard 16 yard trap you would have only about 10 yards or 30 feet to take the bird before you began to lose density in the pattern. Can it be done? Sure if you are a quick shot but you are handicapping yourself unnecessarily. Your Remington 1100 CM comes with the REM choke system so you should use a full choke tube.

As Lee stated and turkey hunters proved you do not need long barrels to produce tight patterns. But the art of wing shooting is more than just producing the right pattern. The gun has to fit and feel right and most people find that that takes a longer barrel, 26-32 inches. Skeet would be a better choice for that gun because the targets are closer.

I have heard these rumors about people using there tactical shotguns to shoot skeet and trap with good results. But several members of this site, who will remain nameless to protect their reputation, unless they want to give themselves up, tried skeet one day very with mixed results. MIKE.    
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the same boat.  All the old timers at my only trap range on the island have over unders that cost thousands.  It also costs $4 a game and $8 for doubles.  That adds up.  I'm poor, but like the sport.  I show up with a rem 1100 synthetic.  I get heat. A lot of heat.  Hell I'm considered a kid over their and am near 30.  When my buddy comes out with me he borrows my 870 home defense 18 incher.  One time no one would go out with us so we had all 5 positions to our selves and I swear to god, they watched from the safety of the benches to make sure we knew what we were doing.  I don't believe that just because we don't have $2,000 over unders and some times I like to use a pump that we are less.  Working on the attire.  Would like to find a shooting vest of some sort to cary my shells in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Section_Leader;

Blackhawk and several others make some nifty Tactical-type shotgun vests, and they will hold lots of other stuff, too...like smelling salts for when the boys with the $2000 stack-barrels fall out and faint!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Leader, Do you have Wallmart? They sell shooting vests and shell pouches cheap. If not go to www.cabelas.com.

Do not think that the old grouchy trap guys don't like black gun guys, they hate everyone! Trap is not a friendly sport! These guys don't talk to themselves if they drop a target! Skeet if a much user friendly sport and better suited for field and tactical guns. But on the down side you might shoot a 15-18 the first time out at trap but do not be surprised if you shoot in the single digits the first time at skeet. Skeet guys are much friendlier and more prone to give advice. Trap by nature is almost a military exercise. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, didn't mean to hijack the thread.  I'll go check out wallmart.  Just to let you know I still have my issue LBV and I do have a black hawk vest.  I actually thought about going out there with it once after all the snobbyness I received the first couple times out.  I think now that I have been out a few times they know my face and it is getting better.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It is amazing what people can accomplish if they do not know they are supposed to fail.  

Some ranges discourage tactical guns, but if you ask, what they are really concerned about is people blasting away on the trap pads.

Trap shooters are very ridgid, as is their sport.  They will typically only shoot with people they already know, and know well.  Many national champs could not hit a quail if they had too.  I know, we have a few in my family.  All those trophies don't mean shit to a real bird!

Keep your modified choke at 16 yards, but slow your swing down.  Aim at the trap house so you can see the roof and leading edge where the bird is coming out.  Short barrels tend to lead to less then smooth swings.  Remember that those birds are going 70 mph, any more open choke and you won't have time to shoot, even at 16 yards, your score will probably drop.

For the best practice hit a 5 stand.  On a slow day you can usually shoot any combo of birds you want.  Same goes for a skeet range.  You can shoot 25 from one position if you have the pad to yourself.  You also tend to meet more well rounded shooters at these ranges as compared to a trap club.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Very interesting advice from the forum!
Chokes selection runs from improved to full!
At least no one told me to try slugs for the long shots:)
I'll try some with a improved choke and try to get on the bird right out of the trap house. See if I can raise a few eyebrows. I need to get a full choke to see if I can improve my score by letting the clays get a little farther out.
BTW- anyone had any problems with Estate shells?
I pulled through the rim on a couple, but haven't with any other shells.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]
That's exactly why I want a Remington 1100 CM for skeet and trap shooting, I just want to piss off the old farts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#13]
TV, Go to WWW.Remington.com, click on support, and then reading room. They have downloadable information on shotgun shooting, chokes, barrels and trap & skeet fundamentles. A good place to start. While you are there check out the trap guns and you will see that they all come with full chokes. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Mike,

Thanks for the advice!  I am surprised at the amount of comments I got on this site about shotguns. I tried a 'shotgun' site, and only got 1 reply!. This place is a wealth of info.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]
TV, my only experience with Estate loads was 2 years ago, in 20 gauge used in a semi-auto.  I was tuning up for dove season and I was shooting once a week around lunch time, I was out of shells so I bought some from the club.

Complete crap.

That was what the guy pulling the birds for me said too.  I seem to recall he said they were not consistent on the chronograph and had other issues related to quality, but we were talking about 20 gauge.  Also, you can get away with a lot when you are shooting single barrel trap guns, O/U's or pumps, as so many trap shooters do.  Semi-auto needs better ammo.

One more thing, if you go to the same club consistently, on a busy night, just sit around and watch and listen to the old farts talking.  You can learn in a lot in a place like that, even if they do seem up tight.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#16]
TV, Over the years I have partiapated on several Shooting/ Hunting web sites. It has been my experience that people on this site will lend a hand a try to help out. I have met many people from this site and am impressed with how much people on this site shoot. I shoot at least once per week and have found that to be the norm with the NY crew on this site. Like Z said the trap guys are stiff but know how to grind up clay birds. Like he said watching can really help out. If you get serious about the clays a dedicated trap or skeet gun is the way to go. If not you might want to think about a longer barrel for the 1100 CM. Short barrels don't swing and that is what shooting moving targets is all about, keeping the barrel moving. A dead barrel is a lost target. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Shot a few rounds of trap this weekend with the 1100CM. Figured I'd try two rounds of each with a modified and full choke to see what I shot better.
With the modified, using 7.5 shot, I tried to get on the clays as soon as possible. Shot 18/25 and a 19/25. With the full choke, I let the clays get to the point where they seemed to 'hang' and shot 19/25 and another 19/25. Now I'm going insane trying to get that 20+/25. Shot with another guy who had a Citori 20g. Beautiful gun. Gave me some pointers, and then watched him go 0 for 25. Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#18]
TV, It is not uncommon to shoot in the 18-20 class at trap but it is very hard to get into the 24-25 range. You picked up a bird with the full choke, that's a good start. Next I would borrow a trap gun or borrow a longer barrel for your 1100. See if you pick up anymore. All you have to do is spent 10,000 dollars on shells and targets and you will be shooting straight.

Have you given any thought in trying skeet? Is a skeet range available? You have some natural tallent you might like skeet better. Enjoy, MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top