Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/28/2004 10:23:26 PM EST
I have been thinking of buying a 870 rifled slug barrel for this years dear season in my back yard and the thought hit me of shooting 00 buck out of it for home defense. 1st question-can I do this with out harming the rifling inside the barrel, and 2nd-what kind of pattern would that make out to say around 30 yards, from one end of our house to the other is about 90ft. thanks
Randy
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:31:54 AM EST
The shot cup should protect the rifling.
The pattern will be large & donut shaped though. The rifling will put some spin on the shot cup & centrifical force will spread the buckshot into a wide pattern. 30yrds is about as far as I'd want to push buckshot anyways & that's out of a standard smoothbore, not a pattern spreading rifled barrel.

The regular rifle sighted smooth bore slug barrel is good to go though. That's what I have on my 870 Wingmaster (with tritium sights for low light use). The old smoothbore slug barrel is improved cyl choke.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:29:59 PM EST
This question comes up ATLEAST once a month... In short - although it won't immediately damage your barrel, it won't do it any favors, either... It will likely hurt slug accuracy after not all that many rounds of shot... 2nd - the pattern will be terrible - mainly because the shot string will be swirling - which will cause shot pellet deformation, amongst other patterning problems...

I'd advise you buy a used smoothbore barrel - they can be had in decent condition for around $50 many times...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:36:29 PM EST
Thanks guys, thats what I needed to know.
Top Top