Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 10:32:26 AM EDT

the barrell on my 870 12 gage says i can only use 3 inch shells if i have a "magnum" receiver.  how do i know if my receiver is "magnum" or not?

-Spaceman
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
some of them (20ga also) have MAGNUM stamped in the receiver very big.  my 20ga barrel says i can use 3' also but i don't know if i would..a friend has a 870 lt wt magnum 20ga that is stamped magnum and our guns are identical except for the stamp...maybe someone else knows more about this?  i'm interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the serial number off your receiver and contact Remington, they can tell you for sure. ( I thought the magnum serial numbers had a M prefix or something)
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm almost certain that all 870 Magnum receivers say "magnum" right on the receiver (left side). All of mine do, and I have three of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]

hmmm....

my serial number has an 'M' at the end of it....

i wonder what that means...

maybe ill swing by Remington's site.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I am pretty sure that an M in the serial # means magnum. I think most recent ones are magnum as there is no disadvantage in a pump to have the longer chamber.

On the other hand. Rem 1100's the older auto guns use the gas to operate the action and Magnum barrels have smaller gas ports to reduce the load on the action. In addition, I've heard the action spring in a magnum receiver is slightly stiffer? If you have a magnum barrel on an 1100 you can't shoot loads much smaller than high brass. You can use a non magnum barrel okay. You can't use a magnum barrel on a non magnum receiver and magnum loads unless you use steel shot loads. They must be softer.

The 11-87 Rems, eliminate the need for different ports as they have some kind of valve-ring that reacts differently to varying gas loads.

Confusing enough? Go to the Rem site. They have a pretty good FAQ page with commonly asked questions.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]

for anyone out there who wanted to know, here is what i found on Remington's site:

"The barrel and receiver design determines what can be shot from the Model 870. All barrels are clearly marked with chamber information located about half way down on the left-hand side, "side opposite ejection port". Receivers are marked with letters at the end of the serial number that determine ejection size."

The following is true for all Model 870 shotguns:

Serial Number Suffix  Gauge   Ejection
  V      12           2 3/4" Only
  M      12           2 3/4" or 3" Only
  A      12           2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2"
  W      16           2 3/4" Only
  K, X   20           2 3/4" Only
  U,N    20           2 3/4" or 3" Only
  J      28           2 3/4" Only
  H     .410          2 1/2" or 3"

hope this helped.  Ole Rem has a pretty informative site by the way.

-Spaceman

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top