Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/30/2004 12:16:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 12:19:08 PM EST by 555R]
thinking about finally breaking down and getting an 870
rifled vs smooth
what is the real difference
can buckshot be shot in the rifled and a slug in the smooth?
how does one affect accuracy and reliability etc
what are the effective ranges for slugs and the varieties of buckshot
and as dumb as this might sound
can it be used for all aspects of shotgunning
ie hunting skeet trap etc
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:59:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By 555R:
thinking about finally breaking down and getting an 870
rifled vs smooth smooth
what is the real difference rifling
can buckshot be shot in the rifled no and a slug in the smooth? yes
how does one affect accuracy and reliability etc rifled barrel with slugs gets good accuracy, reliability won't be affected, but you cant use anything but slugs in a rifled barrel
what are the effective ranges for slugs and the varieties of buckshot i dunno
and as dumb as this might sound
can it be used for all aspects of shotgunning barrels are cheap enough...buy one shotgun and get all the barrels you want
ie hunting skeet trap etc

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:46:07 AM EST
Technically you could shoot the buckshot in the rifles barrel, but your patterns are gonna be bloody awful.

Most shotguns are effective with slugs to 75-100 yards, but the slug can travel quite a bit farther.

With buckshot, you have to pattern YOUR gun with YOUR load to see how far it will pattern. I use paper shopping bags. Start at 3m and the move the target back to 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25m. Once you get to where not all the shot are in the target, that is the approximate effective range of your shotgun with that load. Here is why - shotgun pellets can be lethal well past 100 yards. If you shoot at a target and not all the pellets hit the target, a stray pellet can go downrange and kill someone.

My Remington 870 Police model with a cylinder bore barrel is good with Sellier and Bellot 00 buck to about 15m, and about the same with Winchester Ranger about the same. I have seen some guns that are good to 25m.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:02:25 AM EST
Top Top