Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/29/2005 1:49:55 PM EDT
Does anyone reload? What powder do you use? I am looking to start loading for my NM SA M1A. I am looking at 150 grain winch. FMJ bullets and winch. pimers
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 3:01:34 PM EDT by Dano523]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:55 PM EDT
I always suggest one read Clint McKee's ( Fulton Armory ) opinion on reloading for gas guns. If you are still going to do it anyway, at least heed his warnings!!!!!!! I believe it is well worth your time to go to the Fulton Armory website and check out this info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:41:21 AM EDT
I went and read his opinion on reloading, I see it is very important to measure cases and trim to proper length. However failers can happen and do happen from using surplus ammo all the time. I will trust my hand loads more than some clowns from India or Pakistan.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:15:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 7:38:15 AM EDT by Ralph]
I read Clint's opinion too,...Tripe pure tripe, designed to keep as many of you buying ammo from him..Let's not forget, Clint's in business to make money, not friends.. I've been reloading for 25 years, for 13 diffrent calibers, 9 of them rifle calibers, and yes you can kill youself reloading, and most of the people that do, are the ones who push the envelope. Gas guns like a M1 or M14 clones have a very narrow range of powders that is compatable with the gas system, they are also limited as to bullet weights as well. Stay within these limitations and you'll never have a problem. Other factors to consider, primers MUST be seated BELOW flush.this step alone elimitates the possibilty of slam fires. Brass...One should keep track of how many times the brass has been reloaded I usually toss mine after the fifth firing, Still, I look for signs of case head seperation as long as I'm using them.(one should do this with ANY rifle)Using a case gage when setting up a resizing die is also a MUST. And while we're on the subject you CANNOT neck size brass for ANY gas operated rifle, that's asking for trouble. Gas guns like the AR, are for the most part, much more forgiving and much easier to load for than the M1/M14. They can use any rifle powder/ bullet weight thanks to the design of the gas system However, like the M1/M14 care muse be taken with brass prep and the same cautions taken. A little common sense and time taken with brass preperation will go along way towards reducing any perceived dangers toward the user and the rifle these loads will be used in....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:17:29 AM EDT
I have been using IMR 4064 for many years now. But, I am starting to experiment with Varget. Just need to wait for winter to be done so I can do some testing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
Here is the starting load I am considering:
4895 42 grains, winchester primers and once fired FN brass, Hornady 150 grain FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:41:22 PM EDT
That is a good load.. it is what I use for my plinking ammo
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:47:10 AM EDT
I am just going to use it at the range and to shot some local matches.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ralph:
I read Clint's opinion too,...Tripe pure tripe, designed to keep as many of you buying ammo from him..Let's not forget, Clint's in business to make money, not friends.. I've been reloading for 25 years, for 13 diffrent calibers, 9 of them rifle calibers, and yes you can kill youself reloading, and most of the people that do, are the ones who push the envelope. Gas guns like a M1 or M14 clones have a very narrow range of powders that is compatable with the gas system, they are also limited as to bullet weights as well. Stay within these limitations and you'll never have a problem. Other factors to consider, primers MUST be seated BELOW flush.this step alone elimitates the possibilty of slam fires. Brass...One should keep track of how many times the brass has been reloaded I usually toss mine after the fifth firing, Still, I look for signs of case head seperation as long as I'm using them.(one should do this with ANY rifle)Using a case gage when setting up a resizing die is also a MUST. And while we're on the subject you CANNOT neck size brass for ANY gas operated rifle, that's asking for trouble. Gas guns like the AR, are for the most part, much more forgiving and much easier to load for than the M1/M14. They can use any rifle powder/ bullet weight thanks to the design of the gas system However, like the M1/M14 care muse be taken with brass prep and the same cautions taken. A little common sense and time taken with brass preperation will go along way towards reducing any perceived dangers toward the user and the rifle these loads will be used in....

Great post by Ralph. I have been loading for the M1A for a decade. IMR 4895, Varget and IMR 4064 are all excellent. Take your time, work up your loads and keep track of your reloadings. I have always followed the five reloadings rule for brass and never had a problem. Pull down (new) LC brass is excellent for this rifle. 155 grain Palma Match are great, as are 168 and 175 grain SMK's. Get a good quality, carbide type primer pocket tool. It will clean the pockets and set your primer pocket depth to specification, which will put you below flush.

Top Top