Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2014 4:36:01 PM EDT
This is a follow-up to my thread on reloading 9mm Luger (9X19).

Link to Archived Thread

I finally got to the range to do some chronographing.  Here are the results.

125gr RNL, 3.4 gr W231, WSP primer, 1.135" OAL

Avg = 787 fps, SD = 14, n = 5

4.15 gr W231, otherwise same as above

Avg = 905 fps, SD = 11, n = 5

4.5 gr W231, otherwise same as above

Avg = 953 fps, SD = 14, n = 5

These were fired from a short barreled (~3") handgun, Star Firestar Plus.  It's a great little handgun (13+1 capacity in 9mm) made by a company that, for some reason unknown to me, went out of business.  As a result, they are inexpensive to purchase and parts and magazines are readily available.  This is no cheap, piece of crap.  It's the real deal.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming your OAL is wrong?
If it's not, what are you loading these in that puts them beyond SAAMI max OAL for 9mm, and what mag is feeding them properly?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
OAL is pretty forgiving in 9mm.  I routinely load to 1.125 for my Glock using 115gn plated bullets.  Just check them in the chamber to make sure they fit.  9mm indexes off the case mouth not the bullet.

ETA:  I should add that seating 9mm too short can raise chamber pressure when using fast powders.  I should have stated that OAL is pretty forgiving in 9mm when seating long.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm assuming your OAL is wrong?
View Quote

I corrected the error in the post, a copy and paste oversight on my part.  I was using the format from a post about 45 ACP, hence the incorrect OAL.

Thanks for reading.  .
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My standard 9mm load is 4.6 gr of WW231 behind a 115 gr jacketed bullet.

Beretta Model 92FS that's a 5" bbl
115 gr JHP
Federal primer
avg vel 1091 fps
SD 14.5
View Quote

Interesting!

I got these bullets from someone who shot a 92FS in competitions.  

My 9mm handgun is intended for self defense.  These RNL's don't work particularly well in that role but I will load them up to self defense ammo levels and use them for practice.  In that role, they have a place and will save me a lot of cash.  Surely, I do have a lot of them and factory ammo is too expensive to use thousands of rounds for practice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting!

My 9mm handgun is intended for self defense.  These RNL's don't work particularly well in that role but I will load them up to self defense ammo levels and use them for practice.  In that role, they have a place and will save me a lot of cash.  Surely, I do have a lot of them and factory ammo is too expensive to use thousands of rounds for practice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

115 gr JHP
Federal primer
avg vel 1091 fps
SD 14.5

Interesting!

You're low by a fair amount if looking for SD type ammo velocities..as it is, none of those rounds even make min. USPSA or IDPA power factor of 125(wt. * vel / 1000).  I'd expect most SD 9mm to be around a PF of 140 and higher, although its worth confirming chrono-ing your SD load of choice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're low by a fair amount if looking for SD type ammo velocities..as it is, none of those rounds even make min. USPSA or IDPA power factor of 125(wt. * vel / 1000).  I'd expect most SD 9mm to be around a PF of 140 and higher, although its worth confirming chrono-ing your SD load of choice.
View Quote

That is on the agenda for the next session.  Basically, I was so happy to get the data I now have, I forgot to chrono some factory fodder.  The 124 gr Federal ammo is supposed to get to 1120 fps but I haven't chronographed any.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is on the agenda for the next session.  Basically, I was so happy to get the data I now have, I forgot to chrono some factory fodder.  The 124 gr Federal ammo is supposed to get to 1120 fps but I haven't chronographed any.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just saw you're shooting out of a shorter barrel.  Will be interesting to see what kind of velocity you're getting with the 3" barrel, as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just saw you're shooting out of a shorter barrel.  Will be interesting to see what kind of velocity you're getting with the 3" barrel, as well.
View Quote

To add visual interest to the thread, I added a pic of the firearm to the first post.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

115 gr JHP
Federal primer
avg vel 1091 fps
SD 14.5
View Quote

I had stovepipes and incomplete extraction with that load (92FS) until I went to 5.0 gr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top