Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2013 3:04:03 AM EDT
Ok, I've never reloaded before and am going to be doing my first batch very soon. I've got 1k 62gr bullets and the like to reload. I also just got my first can approved, and have no subsonic ammo. A buddy suggested reloading the 62gr to subsonic, but I believe you need a much heavier bullet. Am I correct? It will be for mainly a 10.5" AR and some will be shot from a 16"
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not want to be the first guy to try that.  If you had some reloading data that had been pre tested maybe.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Hodgdon has data for their "Trail Boss" powder. Give it a look. Getting a sub-sonic load in .223 to work an AR action is still another question.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I use 5.0 of trailboss under a 60 grain soft point in federal or black hills brass and any primer. I've used cci 400 & 450 and I believe it was rem 7 1/2 and they all worked. It doesn't cyle the action but is damn quiet. Your gonna get some guys that will say it's a waste of time because your slower than a 22lr but I do it for the fun of reloading. Just make sure they stabilize in your gun before your attach a can and it'll all be good.

Now there is some subsonic ammo out there that will cycle but it's pricey and there not saying what kind of powder it is.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Just so you know, there are other concerns than cycling the action.  

Most silencer companies wont warranty their cans for subsonic 223.   The reason is that the bullets dont like to stabilize at those speeds.  Baffle strikes are much more likely.   If you decide to do it, more power to you.   Just check your loads very closely for any signs of keyholing or tumbling.

Most folks will tell you that youre just reproducing a .22 LR when you load subsonic .223.  I dont exactly agree with that, as you have a very wide selection of bullets to choose from and with powders like trail boss and whatnot, you have alot of different options.    On the bright side, you dont have to worry about wearing out your brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top