Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 9:10:14 AM EDT
Hi all,

i have decided to go with Magpul OD Green furniture for my AR build.  ive got OD PMags and MIAD Grip, i plan on getting the XTR panels as well.

i have also ordered an ACE ARFX Skeletonized Stock and i would like to refinish the metal parts to be OD Green.

so i am asking this forum if anyone has had experience refinishing the Ace Stocks and also if anyone has had experience with Aluma-Hyde II.

are there parts of the stock that i dont want to get the aluma-hyde on?? like the threads?  parts that i should tape up before refinishing.

how does the aluma-hyde II OD green match Magpul OD Green?

any advice or experience you can share is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:28:53 AM EDT
I will tell you the Magpul OD green does not match the Alumahyde II or the Gunkote OD green. Magpul's color is darker and looks like they have more brown in it.

However, you can paint the Magpul products to match. I'm not sure about the rail covers, but the grips, stocks and mags all take it just fine. Apply just enough to cover, if you go heavy it gets gummy.

I actually bake my Alumahyde II in the oven @ 200 degrees for about 4-5 hours and it's hard as a rock. The polymer stuff came out great.

I would stay away from the close tolerance stuff, like threads, as Alumahyde goes on much thicker than Gunkote. I did my rails and my VFG was much harder to get on after.

It's very durable once fully cured.

Here's some pics for you, some of these do not represent the actual color, it was my camera settings. The ones that look dark green are what it looks like in person:

Magpul OD vs Alumahyde II OD:

Degrease VERY well, heat the parts and the paint up before you spray, and DON'T TOUCH THEM with your fingers until they are fully cured, oven or air.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:36:39 AM EDT
thanks for the pics.  awesome reply!
Top Top