Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2002 7:17:42 PM EDT
I just got some mags that are in great condition but they were painted with a BRUSH!!

I am thinking of refinishing them.  
Should I sandblast the old paint off?

What kind of paint to use?

I have heard of paint that can be baked on.  Has anyone ever done this before?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sandblasting would work, but considering they are aluminum (guessing), I'd use a paint stripper on it, then degrease.  Final step would be 0000 Wool, then whatever finish you'd use.  

No clue about the baking finish, I'm sure someone else can help you with that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Here you go.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=82469
Perma-Slik G for $12.50 a can from Neely Industries 1-800-242-1483
www.neelyindustries.com

GIB
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely do NOT sandblast them!  That will ruin the anodizing on them!

Use paint thinner or paint stripper.  Get them cleaned down to the anodizing (It's usually gold colored) and then refin them with a dry film lubricant containing Molybdenum DiSulfide, or MDS.   It's available from a few sources.

The stuff I use is EM Corporation's Lubribond air drying dry film lubricant, mil spec MIL-L-23398D.  One gallon can.  Agitate thoroughly, dip stripped mag shell in the stuff, let drip, spin off the excess, air dry for half an hour, redip a second coat, spin dry, rebuild the mag.

Results:  Perfect.

It may even be available in a spray can.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Like GI Brat said....check out the how to post in the magazines section here and follow that step by step.  The PermaSlik-G works great.  I just finished about 15 mags a couple of weeks ago and they look great.  I still have about 1/2 of the can left, so I would say that you could get about 30 mags finished per can.  The finish looks good and is very durable so far.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You will be just fine sand blasting them if you use a 120 or finer medium but the thinner should work also.  Check out www.lauerweaponry.com They have the stuff that you can spray them with to match the original finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top