Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 9:18:55 PM EDT
There is just something fun, handy and to my liking when it comes to Marlin's lever action rifles and carbines. I know they aren't an AR-15 but I do really like them just the same. I have been thinking about dressing one up and trying to make it just a bit more useful and practical as a general purpose gun. I really want to try a red dot sight of some sort on either a 30-30 or .357 magnum gun for fast shooting capability. I know a Leupold or Aimpoint is probably the best, but these are just a bit too pricey for me at this time. I saw a Simmons priced very cheap in The Sportsman's Guide Summer catalog. I have also seen a BSA model for about $69. Here's the BSA: www.impactguns.com/store/bsa_50sb_red_dot.html. I don't expect these to have the very high quality of the nicer scopes I mentioned earlier, but for a guy on a budget, would these be good enough?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a BSA on my Marlin 94.

It's a good choice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
NO!!!
spend the money and get a aimpoint.
cheap scopes will give you problems like:
they will fog because they will not stay sealed
the rheostat will fail or not work
the scope base will strip out
the adjustment turrets will not work or be linear.  ie on adjusting up the first click will be 1" up at 50 yds and the second will be 3" up and if you click back down you move 2-4"

you should be able to pick up a aimpoint at a gun show for $80.00-120.00
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
308wood is right
go the expensive route

Have considered putting one on my guide gun.
.444Marlin

No grizzly Bears in Ga
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't that like putting chrome on newer cars?

You could, but it just isn't right.

Excuse my ignorance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top