Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/5/2006 10:06:49 AM EDT
I currently Carry a SOG Flash Tanto, and am just looking for something a bit different for the hell of it.
Interested in any recommendations, folder or fixed blade.
no auto's though
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I highly recommend the Wegener G10 Pro Hunter plain edge.  Goes for $160 now at Blade Tech, although I got my a few years ago for an incredible $105 including shipping.  

I have many good knives inlcuding Benchmade (D2 AFCK, Griptillian), Spyderco, Swamp Rat, Al Mar, BlackJack, Bark River, and Becker and this Blade Tech is my favorite and would be the one I keep if I could only have one.  Don't let the "Hunter" name throw you.  It sort of has a skinning blade shape but It makes the best utility knife I've found.  The S30V steel is awesome at edge holding.  I've only lightly shapened once in after years of use.  The clip is better than anything else I've tried, which can be a sore spot for me with many even good kives.  The ergonomics are great.  It's real tough, although it is a liner lock which may not be as strong as others, so I don't force the lock.  It has full a stainless lining and nice G10 scales.  It's tip (down IIRC) which some don't prefer but I've accomodated to it quite well.  

Fixed blades are stronger, but I find that folders are so much more convenient and this is a tough folder so it is the optimum all arounder for me.  

www.blade-tech.com/Wegner-Professional-Hunters-Knife-G10-Plain-Edge-pr-905.html

Here's some reviews of this and similar Wegner/Blade Tech models:
www.realtree.com/products/featured-detail.tpl?ID=214
www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=739
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
SOG Seal PUP Elite
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Buck Strider 880 Solution. Find them from $125-$160.  Big feeling knife for its size, but still fast.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips guys.

After looking around a bit, I've found three benchmades that look pretty nifty and feel good in my hand, Only one question.

I'm not quite in the know about steels. I've tried to do some research but am having a bit of trouble making sense of it as most of the descriptions aren't very good and make them sound pretty similar.

The ones I'm liking right now are

941 Osborne - 154CM
710D2- D2 Tool steel
921 Switchback - S30V

Basically I'm looking for anything you've got to say about those steels, and if the answer can be given which one is the best.

Thanks again!

Edit: in case it matters, my sharpening is done on a polishing wheel, from my experiences I get a disgustingly sharp edge in a few minutes. As opposed to my terrible ability at hand sharpening
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Emerson CQC7
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
941 Osborne - 154CM
710D2- D2 Tool steel
921 Switchback - S30V

which one is the best.

Edit: in case it matters, my sharpening is done on a polishing wheel, from my experiences I get a disgustingly sharp edge in a few minutes. As opposed to my terrible ability at hand sharpening

Those are all good, so it really matters what other features you like.  The D2 will have a slight edge in edge retention and won't chip as easily, but is not quite as corrosion resitant.  S30Vs probably a close second followed closely by the 154CM.  Of those I like the 710 best (when did they start making them with D2?  That's cool, D2 is good, but as I said earlier, the Blade Tech Wegner Pro Hunter kicks the ass of all of these.  I've got Benchmades too.  

Otherwise get the D2 710.  D2 rocks.  and the 710's a good platform.  Kinda large though for everyday.  

I might also look at the Buck Mayo titanimum with S30V.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a Buck Strider 882 and I love it. Before that I was EDC'ing a Benchmade AutoStryker.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top