Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/19/2017 8:41:33 PM EDT
My 9 year old daughter has been asking for a pocket knife for a few weeks now, and recently found out that they have to have one for an upcoming Girl Scout trip.  It has to be a folder, and I'm not sure which direction to go.  Swiss Army type, a basic Old Timer, or a lockback of some type?  For the Scout trip, they will be using it in meal preparation, and whittling.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:05:51 PM EDT
Cant beat the Swiss Army Recruit or camper, rather see them with a lock-back but kids like gadgets. Get a real one though, not a China junker. Vitronox or Wenger are good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cant beat the Swiss Army Recruit or camper, rather see them with a lock-back but kids like gadgets. Get a real one though, not a China junker. Vitronox or Wenger are good.
View Quote
+1 to all of that.  my first two were both a wengers, and i loved them.  that being said, something that locks is definitely safer, and would have saved me a few cuts

if you end up not going the swiss army route, i'd recommend an Ontario Rat Model 1 (better steel, larger) or Ontario Rat Model 2 (OK steel, smaller)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:31:56 PM EDT
A small Vic SAK is a great first knife for a kid.  Gadgets, a practical blade, durable, won't break the bank.  That deserves some consideration.

I always coveted my dad's stag Case medium stockman when I was growing up.  He'd use it for everything and I'd come up with excuses to use it too.  I mostly carry a pocket-clip knife these days but sometimes switch it up to a medium stockman and I always think of dad's.  I think that or a Peanut would be a good first knife too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:51:22 AM EDT
Another option:  Opinel

Inexpensive (but very functional), locks, sharp, comes in a variety of sizes, etc.  It's also less "tactical looking" which may or may not be a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:25:04 PM EDT
A Morakniv Companion would be ideal, but since it has to be a folder, I would go with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (some models have locking blades) or a Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter. Those are knives I carry and knives I got for my daughter.
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top