Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2003 9:05:33 PM EDT
I am building my Africa Gun and went with a Merkel Double rifle in .416 Rigby. I'm looking to reduce the recoil without installing a break or porting it. Does anyone have any experience with any recoil reducers that work? Any help would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you could duct tape a large rolled up pillow to the stock.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
...Check out the Brownells catalog......there`s a few different types there..........
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Recoil reducer? I've had a fair bit of trigger time with my brother's Ruger#1H Tropical in .458WM. It is a fairly light rifle for the caliber, ~9lbs, with a plain barrel. 510gr factory loads are fairly stiff, 350 gr SPs aren't bad. Definitely a fun gun to shoot. My brother has a Savage Safari .458WM on order. The skinny little runt likes his rifles big This gun has a muzzle brake. I assume you are against porting because of the noise/blast?

I'd suggest a PAST recoil shield, if you haven't tried one. These work wonders. Other options are installing buffers in your stock. I have no first hand knowledge of these. Gotta have some mass to the gun to tame recoil if you don't port it.

For practise/range time with your rifle, I'd suggest reduced handloads. I handload for my brother, and have a slightly reduced 350 gr load which is darn near MOA at 100 yds. That, and it doesn't rearrange your fillings
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Some shotgun makers, Benelli comes to mind, sell their guns with a recoil reducer that fits in the butt stock. You might look into one of these. I can't remember who makes them, but it's worth a call to Benelli to find out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your help. I'll look into those mercury reducers. I was thinking more along the lines of an internal spring-loaded buffer like they have for shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top