Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 7:57:25 AM EDT
Hello folks:

I'm finally in the market for an M14-type rifle...Sold my hard-kicking PTR yesterday.  I've read Boston's Gun Bible and he seems to swear that newer M1A's have investment cast parts that are inferior quality to the older guns with USGI parts.

Is there anything to this?

Do the newer M1A's wear out a lot faster or shoot less accurately than an older ones with USGI parts?

Has anyone had a receiver stretch and go to the bad on an M1A?

What about broken bolts or op-rods in newer guns?

Is the LRB really that much better, especially since they use non-USGI barrels, op-rods, and gas pistons?

I'm wondering if all this talk about USGI-components being superior is really important or if it's only matters if you put 30-40,000 rounds through the gun?

Thanks,

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The reproduction extractor has a bad record.  Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.  About 10 years back I bought a bunch of USGI parts in anticipation of the cast stuff wearing out or breaking.  10k+ rds and haven't had the opportunity to use any of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
David,

I would join here - probably the best and most comprehensive M14 & M14 Clone forum out here...tons of knowledge and several top M14 gunsmiths are members and answer questions!

my $0.02

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
David,

I would join here - probably the best and most comprehensive M14 & M14 Clone forum out here...tons of knowledge and several top M14 gunsmiths are members and answer questions!

my $0.02

Sakic #19

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I found a 2007 LNIB LRB M14SA for $2065 with almost all GI parts so I hopped on it.  Joined the forum the fellow gave the link to but I couldn't find anything on it...maybe it requires moderator approval for my registration first.

Thanks,

-David
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, I found a 2007 LNIB LRB M14SA for $2065 with almost all GI parts so I hopped on it.  Joined the forum the fellow gave the link to but I couldn't find anything on it...maybe it requires moderator approval for my registration first.

Thanks,

-David

My dad has an earlier LRB with all USGI parts and it is an amazing rifle. I love it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't been impressed with the feel of the SAI cast trigger groups.  USGI rack grade units feel match conditioned in comparison.

I don't know how well they cleanup when conditioned by an armorer, and there is the question of how well they hold the trigger job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Current day SA, Inc. M1A hammers (cast) are often made with uneven hammer hooks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy whatever quality new receiver you can find, LRB, SAI, Fulton, Smith Enterprises.
Find a quality M14 Gunsmith and tell him what you need.
Listen to their advice and have it built-up the way you want it.
Start Saving and start buying the parts they recommend.
When you've got what you need, send it all off to be assembled to your specs.
Start saving for ammo, probably a while till the M14 comes back...and you're good to go.

LRB Lower, SE Crazy Horse Barrel, USGI Trigger Group/ Smith Enterprises Max Pak Trigger Group Modifications, USGI Op Rod/Gas System/Sadlak Ti-Coated Piston/ USGI Walnut Stock, Jon Wolfe' Smithed.

Second Option:

SAI Supermatch, rebullt bolt with USGI Parts after theirs came apart.
And SAI's Lifetime Warranty really works.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My NIB SAI from Dec. 2008 had a USGI trigger group.  I replaced the cast extractor and factory spring.  No issues and I don't anticpate any.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top