Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:25:00 PM EDT
I have a K98 whose bore is pitted and whose accuracy is not all that it could be, and I am interested in having it rebarreled in 8mm and returned to a military configuration with iron sights attached. Anybody know a smith that does this well?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Rebarreling Mauser actions is Gunsmithing 101.  Suspect you'll have no trouble finding a smith locally.  Yellowpages.
Have had two done without issue.

Best regards,

Ray
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Do gunsmiths typically know how to put the iron sights back on the new barrel?

EDIT: I found this guy on Gunbroker who seems to be able to do what I want... I've done a search for him and people seem happy with his work. $325 is pricey, more than the cost of the rifle itself, but it's a very sentimental piece that I've taken a lot of animals with over the years and I owe it to the rifle to keep it nice.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384038322
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Can's speak to that smith.  BUT - agree w/ previous poster that this is (or was)  one of the most common jobs gunsmiths once took on.

-only snag is the requirement to return it to military configuration.

Still, I bet you can find an older gunsmith locally who could do the work without a problem.    Many older smiths really enjoy working on C&R bolt guns over the more boring day to day drilling/tapping for scopes, instaling new stocks, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#4]
you could ask on here  

http://www.mausercentral.com/

The site is dedicated to mausers. I'm sure someone on there would be able to help you out
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll find something locally. Now, as far as the replacement barrel itself... it seems that I can either find one of those new Yugo M48 barrels (which will have issues with returning to original configuration) or go with a used K98 barrel. I'm not sure about the quality of newly manufactured barrels. What do you all suggest?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If your only goal to build a good shooting military profile K98 and you can find a new production barrel from a reputable manufacturer I would go new production all the way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll find something locally. Now, as far as the replacement barrel itself... it seems that I can either find one of those new Yugo M48 barrels (which will have issues with returning to original configuration) or go with a used K98 barrel. I'm not sure about the quality of newly manufactured barrels. What do you all suggest?
View Quote

Lothar Walther makes great military-contour k98 barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top