Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:25:00 PM EDT
I have a K98 whose bore is pitted and whose accuracy is not all that it could be, and I am interested in having it rebarreled in 8mm and returned to a military configuration with iron sights attached. Anybody know a smith that does this well?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:28:31 AM EDT
Rebarreling Mauser actions is Gunsmithing 101.  Suspect you'll have no trouble finding a smith locally.  Yellowpages.
Have had two done without issue.

Best regards,

Ray
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 6:01:26 AM EDT by leib109]
Do gunsmiths typically know how to put the iron sights back on the new barrel?

EDIT: I found this guy on Gunbroker who seems to be able to do what I want... I've done a search for him and people seem happy with his work. $325 is pricey, more than the cost of the rifle itself, but it's a very sentimental piece that I've taken a lot of animals with over the years and I owe it to the rifle to keep it nice.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384038322
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:47:13 AM EDT
Can's speak to that smith.  BUT - agree w/ previous poster that this is (or was)  one of the most common jobs gunsmiths once took on.

-only snag is the requirement to return it to military configuration.

Still, I bet you can find an older gunsmith locally who could do the work without a problem.    Many older smiths really enjoy working on C&R bolt guns over the more boring day to day drilling/tapping for scopes, instaling new stocks, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:02:38 AM EDT
you could ask on here  

http://www.mausercentral.com/

The site is dedicated to mausers. I'm sure someone on there would be able to help you out
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:18:28 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll find something locally. Now, as far as the replacement barrel itself... it seems that I can either find one of those new Yugo M48 barrels (which will have issues with returning to original configuration) or go with a used K98 barrel. I'm not sure about the quality of newly manufactured barrels. What do you all suggest?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:21:32 PM EDT
If your only goal to build a good shooting military profile K98 and you can find a new production barrel from a reputable manufacturer I would go new production all the way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:50:58 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By leib109:
Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll find something locally. Now, as far as the replacement barrel itself... it seems that I can either find one of those new Yugo M48 barrels (which will have issues with returning to original configuration) or go with a used K98 barrel. I'm not sure about the quality of newly manufactured barrels. What do you all suggest?
View Quote

Lothar Walther makes great military-contour k98 barrels.
Top Top