Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2004 1:53:17 AM EST
I have a Springfield Armory M1A which is rear lugged. It currently sits in a McMillan NM stock, but does not see much use (I switched to a mouse gun). My question is: Is there enough room in a standard (not oversized) walnut stock for a lugged action to sit?
Chris
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:41:47 AM EST
not really.. as you'll have to remove enough wood for the rear lug to sit properly.. and on a GI stock, the stock would be weakened too much with that much wood removed...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:46:44 AM EST
If you're lookling to get a more "standard" M1A, your best bet would be selling or trading that M1A for it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:56:42 PM EST
Selling or trading it???? El grande negatory, amigo, that rifle earned me 18 leg points! Besides, I've sold enough guns that I 'oughta nota for a lifetime of regret!
Thanks though, the answer was sort of what I had suspected anyway...
Chris
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:11:15 PM EST
I have a rear lugged SA M1A that is bedded in a very wide Fajan walnut stock. Before that it was bedded into a birch GI stock which I used for match shooting. In that stock, it was still fine after 6,500 shots. Another SA M1A that I have has a Pinned on front lug (Armscorp product) that is bedded into a synthetic GI stock which I use for my "rain gun". That stock is even thinner than the wood GI stock but I have never had a problem with that either. Since all the thrust is to the rear, the width means nothing unless you use it as a club.
Top Top