Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2014 1:23:24 AM EDT
What would you do? Pay the $150 transfer fee for the AAC Cyclone or 7.62 SD for around $600 and have it transferred? Or settle for a gemtech or silencer co 7.62 can? Or drive to nearest AAC Dealer (1 hour away) and pay MSRP?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What would you do? Pay the $150 transfer fee for the AAC Cyclone or 7.62 SD for around $600 and have it transferred? Or settle for a gemtech or silencer co 7.62 can? Or drive to nearest AAC Dealer (1 hour away) and pay MSRP?
View Quote

Unless you have some particular issue with needing an AAC, SilencerCo's offerings in 7.62 are hardly considered "settling".

Have you looked into the SilencerCo cans?  If not, you owe it to yourself...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Why are you locked in on those cans?  I would look hard at the SilncerCo Saker and Specwar.  They are both top of the line cans, certainly not settling.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why are you locked in on those cans?  I would look hard at the SilncerCo Saker and Specwar.  They are both top of the line cans, certainly not settling.
View Quote

My friend has a Cyclone, not bad but I am far more pleased with my Saker 7.62 - a better can with more versatility IMHO.  Cyclone is an extended SDN-6, which I got as well as the Gemtech Quicksand.  I'd still take the Saker if I could only have one of those mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My friend has a Cyclone, not bad but I am far more pleased with my Saker 7.62 - a better can with more versatility IMHO.  Cyclone is an extended SDN-6, which I got as well as the Gemtech Quicksand.  I'd still take the Saker if I could only have one of those mentioned.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok well maybe not settling, but the saker is like $1300 MSRP and specwar is $900. I am a big fan of Silencerco, (have an osprey on the way). But have been more attracted to AAC's cyclone and SD models. They seem to be the ones that show up when searching quietest or best 762 can.

Also this will be used on 2 AR 7.5" pistols, one in 223 and the other in 762x39, as well as a 16" x39 and 16" 5.45x39 so I like the 51t design as well as maybe a direct thread but idk how direct thread would hold up to being moved a lot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't buy what you don't want.

I've always bought from a distributor and paid the transfer fee.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

If you use Silencer Shop you're transfer fee is $70.

If you order before tomorrow, AAC will pay your $200 tax for you (in the form of a rebate).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

If you order before tomorrow, AAC will pay your $200 tax for you (in the form of a rebate).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Minor correction - the Damn the Man promotion is a store credit, not rebate. So you have to buy something from the AAC web store.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It's only 70 if the dealer is a partner with them for their direct program and it also has to be a trust not a individual.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Gemtech and silencer co are both fantastic.  Both have better mounts than aac.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My AAC 762-SD is still in jail and I'm already eyeing SilencerCo's Saker 762...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of happy Specwar 7.62 owners out here ....ought to check 'em out!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Minor correction - the Damn the Man promotion is a store credit, not rebate. So you have to buy something from the AAC web store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I own many AAC products including a Cyclone K.  I am very happy with all of them.  With that being said, you really need to look a Silencer Co.  If their 7.62 cans existed when I got my Cyclone, I would have went with SiCo.  Buy what YOU want, but Silencer Co is at the top of its game.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can shop around on transfer fees.  It is sometimes easier and faster to purchase in state.  Silcerco's offering is better than AAC's in my opinion, but the advantage to AAC is they are often cheaper and easier to find (my local dealer has Cyclones and 7.62SDs both for $525) and they have the $200 promotion thing going on now.  If you are buying from an in state dealer they are sometimes willing to ship it to your door (you do a paper 4473 by mail and they mail a copy to your local CLEO 7 days in advance).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's only 70 if the dealer is a partner with them for their direct program and it also has to be a trust not a individual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I called silencer shop and they confirmed Its only $70 when sent to a qualifying shop. They said there was one in my zip code but were unable to tell me the the name until an order has been placed. The website has good prices so I might go that option.

Again I do like Silencerco but they're a fair bit more expensive. (Local shop would charge full MSRP).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok well maybe not settling, but the saker is like $1300 MSRP and specwar is $900. I am a big fan of Silencerco, (have an osprey on the way). But have been more attracted to AAC's cyclone and SD models. They seem to be the ones that show up when searching quietest or best 762 can.

Also this will be used on 2 AR 7.5" pistols, one in 223 and the other in 762x39, as well as a 16" x39 and 16" 5.45x39 so I like the 51t design as well as maybe a direct thread but idk how direct thread would hold up to being moved a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's what your local shop charges you need to look elsewhere.  SilencerShop Direct is the way to go if your wanting an AAC then.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
$150 is a absurd amount for a transfer. By going the silencer shop route, you'll pay well below msrp and save on sales tax. The only downside would be waiting on the form 3 to clear first THEN the form 4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Transfer fee of $150 is a little steep.  I'd look for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't believe either of those AAC cans will be warrantied on a 7.5" barrel, certainly not in 7.62, probably not in 5.56 either.  The Saker is warrantied down to 7" 556 barrels.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$150 IS steep...  I was willing to pay a bit more - $100 - for an eform back when they were troublesome for dealers.  Could have paid $75 for paper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Those prices are insane. I'd find another dealer before anything else.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unless you have some particular issue with needing an AAC, SilencerCo's offerings in 7.62 are hardly considered "settling".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly the phrase I was going to use
Fwiw, I was unhappy about a $65 transfer.
Spend an hour looking/calling class 3 dealers. Hell, post your zip code here and someone is bound to help you out.
Msrp is dildos

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't believe either of those AAC cans will be warrantied on a 7.5" barrel, certainly not in 7.62, probably not in 5.56 either.  The Saker is warrantied down to 7" 556 barrels.
View Quote

Well I asked earlier what would be recommended for those rifles, not sure about the cyclone and SD but the n-6 I believe was told should be able to handle a 7.62x39 with 7.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Spend an hour looking/calling class 3 dealers. Hell, post your zip code here and someone is bound to help you out.
Msrp is dildos

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Msrp is dildos

Ok maybe I should have phrased that "shell out the extra cash" for a Silencerco
Zip is 54401, nearest aac dealer is about an hour away. There's at least one class 3 in town and they said $150 dealer in my old town also said $150 too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#26]
CWF = over priced. Aside from the $150 transfer fee for NFA items, they wanted $200 over MSRP on a gemtech blackside... and that's without the tax stamp. Don't get me wrong, they have some nice people there, but some of their prices are insane. And they have no reason to lower them because no one else in the area is a stocking dealer in NFA items.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
CWF = over priced. Aside from the $150 transfer fee for NFA items, they wanted $200 over MSRP on a gemtech blackside... and that's without the tax stamp. Don't get me wrong, they have some nice people there, but some of their prices are insane. And they have no reason to lower them because no one else in the area is a stocking dealer in NFA items.
View Quote

Agree. I just saw the shop for the first time recently since I've been out of town for a few years, nice guys nice products, high price tags though.

I used to live in EC with Lauer and they also charged $150 for external transfers.

Don't get me wrong I like silencerco but never looked into them too much since AAC usually popped up in searches and because of the price tag. Minimum would be $900 plus $200 stamp where a AAC could be had for 600-700 plus stamp
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gemtech and silencer co is are both fantastic. Both have better mounts than aac. Silencerco is on par with AAC.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Zip is 54401, nearest aac dealer is about an hour away. There's at least one class 3 in town and they said $150 dealer in my old town also said $150 too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Msrp is dildos

Dude,

Buy what you want. This forum is full of Silencerco fanboys. I have four of their cans myself as well as an AAC SDN-6 and a Yankee Hill. They're all good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#30]
A whole hour?

that is not even across town here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gemtech and silencer co is are both fantastic. Both have better mounts than aac. Silencerco is on par with AAC.

FIFY
LOL, I hope you have personally own enough suppressors to justify that statement.   Otherwise its just more GD-style fanboy bullshit.  

I own at least a couple suppressors from every major manufacturer, and I can tell you without reservation that youre smoking crack if you think one manufacturers K baffle is drastically better than anothers, or that some company has designed the perfect monocore that no one else can figure out.  If you want to compare an old can to a new one, Ill admit that the old stuff isnt up to par, usually.  

However, a Multimount still gets the same numbers as an Osprey 9, even today.  An M4-2000 is only one or two db better than the M4-1000 and the G5.  The Harvester isnt going to be quieter than the Phantom.   There is way too much fanboy bullshit on this board.  

Lay off the Kool Aid.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#32]
silencerco is the only major suppressor manufacturer that I haven't found a reason to hate yet
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Just give it time.   They all fuck up eventually.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A whole hour?

View Quote

This was my thought exactly. This is a huge purchase. I would drive to the other end of the state if they had what I want for the right price.

Now with that being said, I too wanted an AAC can. Dead set. Then when I went to buy my can, they had sold the can I had my eye on, but had a Specwar 556. I would normally recommend against this highly, but I jumped on it right then and there, even not knowing a whole hell of a lot about them. Best decision I could have made. You can call me a SiCo fanboy if you want, but they make an awesome product, for a fair price, have excellent CS, and stand by their products. I can't say one bad thing about my Specwar. Can't be beat if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
LOL, I hope you have personally own enough suppressors to justify that statement.   Otherwise its just more GD-style fanboy bullshit.    

I own at least a couple suppressors from every major manufacturer, and I can tell you without reservation that youre smoking crack if you think one manufacturers K baffle is drastically better than anothers, or that some company has designed the perfect monocore that no one else can figure out.  If you want to compare an old can to a new one, Ill admit that the old stuff isnt up to par, usually.  

However, a Multimount still gets the same numbers as an Osprey 9, even today.  An M4-2000 is only one or two db better than the M4-1000 and the G5.  The Harvester isnt going to be quieter than the Phantom.   There is way too much fanboy bullshit on this board.  

Lay off the Kool Aid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Lay off the Kool Aid.  

I've got a fat stack of stamps, Jack, but I'd love to see your 2 from every manufacturer collection.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've got a fat stack of stamps, Jack, but I'd love to see your 2 from every manufacturer collection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Lay off the Kool Aid.  

I didnt say every manufacturer.   I said every major manufacturer.   That means AAC, Silencerco, Gemtech, SWR, AWC, Liberty and Surefire.  

If you want to compare "stacks" of stamps, you need to go somewhere else.   I know of at least three guys on this board that have more cans than I do, and Im sure theres even more than that.   The number of stamps you have doesnt make you any better than anyone else.  It just makes you more familiar with whats out there today.  

It also doesnt change the fact that youre talking out of your ass.  Youre another Kool Aid drinker thats wrapped up in whatever brand is the flavor of the month.   I had Gemtech cans when the brains behind AAC worked for Gemtech.  Half the people on this board had suppressors before Silencerco existed.  

Im sure you truly believe that Gemtech makes junk, but its just ignorance.  

Why dont you tell us about your favorite football team, too.   Im sure they are the best and everyone else sucks.  Is it Ford or Chevy for you?  You can only pick one, you know.    

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didnt say every manufacturer.   I said every major manufacturer.   That means AAC, Silencerco, Gemtech, SWR, AWC, Liberty and Surefire.  

If you want to compare "stacks" of stamps, you need to go somewhere else.   I know of at least three guys on this board that have more cans than I do, and Im sure theres even more than that.   The number of stamps you have doesnt make you any better than anyone else.  It just makes you more familiar with whats out there today.  

It also doesnt change the fact that youre talking out of your ass.  Youre another Kool Aid drinker thats wrapped up in whatever brand is the flavor of the month.   I had Gemtech cans when the brains behind AAC worked for Gemtech.  Half the people on this board had suppressors before Silencerco existed.  

Why dont you tell us about your favorite football team, too.   Im sure they are the best and everyone else sucks.  Is it Ford or Chevy for you?  You can only pick one, you know.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Lay off the Kool Aid.  

I hate sports that involve grown men playing with balls, and I usually talk silencers & MGs on subguns or silencertalk. I'm hardly a Kool-aid drinker. I also had silencers before Silencerco existed.
I never said Gemtech made junk, I said Silencerco is on par with AAC; but I will say Gemtech's boat sailed more than a decade ago. AWC went with them. (Clean that Amphibian!)

You, on the other hand. You keep shooting your huge collection of silencers that this poor Kool-aid drinking newbie never possibly hope to own.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't let the distance dissuade you.  I have no problem making the 9 hour round trip drive to Austin to pick my cans up from Silencer Shop.  It's a lifelong purchase and they are selling them at great prices, the savings on one can more than makes up for the gas used getting there and back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]

I never said Gemtech made junk, I said Silencerco is on par with AAC; but I will say Gemtech's boat sailed more than a decade ago. AWC went with them. (Clean that Amphibian!)
View Quote
So you dont think they make junk, you just think they havent made anything worthwhile since 2004?

Honestly answer this question.  Do you think the Osprey 9 or Octane 9 is audibly quieter than the old Multimount?  The MM is what, 6 or 7 years old?  Surely it cant be just as quiet, right?

The OP asked a question about 3 manufacturers.  I can guess which one youve never used before.

Despite your "stacks", youre giving bad advice based on feelings instead of simple logic.  Every can has its good points and bad points, but I dont think you can see past the t-shirts and tattoos.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So you dont think they make junk, you just think they havent made anything worthwhile since 2004?  

Honestly answer this question.  Do you think the Osprey 9 or Octane 9 is audibly quieter than the old Multimount?  The MM is what, 6 or 7 years old?  Surely it cant be just as quiet, right?

The OP asked a question about 3 manufacturers.  I can guess which one youve never used before.

Despite your "stacks", youre giving bad advice based on feelings instead of simple logic.  Every can has its good points and bad points, but I dont think you can see past the t-shirts and tattoos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My first suppressor was a Gemtech. I can guess who you have a mancrush on.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#41]
So far it looks like the silencer shop direct to dealer will probably be my best option. I don't think it would be wise for me to spend $1100 on a Specwar right now. Not a big fan of the harvester and haven't seem much about it yet. I'd rather have an AAC sd or cyclone for under $900 said and done. Curious thing was that as far as I know, there's only 1 class 3 in my zip and again they said $150. When I talked to silencer shop over the phone they said there was a "partner dealer" in my zip but couldn't say who it was. I wonder if it's the same shop....  

Anyone familiar with having SilencerShop process the actual form 4?? They said they can do it on there end or do the paperwork at the local dealer. Said I would just have to mail copy of trust and check or CC for $200 stamp payment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anyone familiar with having SilencerShop process the actual form 4?? They said they can do it on there end or do the paperwork at the local dealer. Said I would just have to mail copy of trust and check or CC for $200 stamp payment.
View Quote

Yep. Done it multiple times. If you use their partner dealer, you pay SS for the tax stamp and transfer ($270 total) and they handle it all. They keep you in the loop, and the only time you deal with the partner dealer is to pick up the can, or if you are allowed conjugal visits.

If you chose your own dealer, it's between you and them to get the F4 filed, transfer fee negotiated and tax stamp paid. It may be a little faste this way if the local dealer is willing to file the F4 once they get the SN from SS (but before F3 is approved).

Maybe this thread will explain it a little better: How Silencer Shop Direct works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I own a gemtech and they are a top notch manufacturer, certai my not "settling"

But if u have your heart set on AAC I would ask if be can do it for less than $150 (my local dealers do $50 for suppressor and $100 for MGs) if not take your business elsewhere
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep. Done it multiple times. If you use their partner dealer, you pay SS for the tax stamp and transfer ($270 total) and they handle it all. They keep you in the loop, and the only time you deal with the partner dealer is to pick up the can, or if you are allowed conjugal visits.

If you chose your own dealer, it's between you and them to get the F4 filed, transfer fee negotiated and tax stamp paid. It may be a little faste this way if the local dealer is willing to file the F4 once they get the SN from SS (but before F3 is approved).

Maybe this thread will explain it a little better: How Silencer Shop Direct works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. That sounds nice actually. I'll have to look into that. Also I see the specwar is only $720 at SS which after transfer fee is still $110 cheaper than at my dealer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A whole hour?

View Quote

Exactly. I'm waiting on one that's a 3-hour drive each direction.  In-state dealer had a group buy going.  A little road trip doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So far it looks like the silencer shop direct to dealer will probably be my best option. I don't think it would be wise for me to spend $1100 on a Specwar right now. Not a big fan of the harvester and haven't seem much about it yet. I'd rather have an AAC sd or cyclone for under $900 said and done. Curious thing was that as far as I know, there's only 1 class 3 in my zip and again they said $150. When I talked to silencer shop over the phone they said there was a "partner dealer" in my zip but couldn't say who it was. I wonder if it's the same shop....  

View Quote

Condition One LLC behind fleet farm is also a class 3 dealer, but he doesn't stock anything except a couple HTA 22 cans. Might be worth a shot to see how much he charges for transfers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Condition One LLC behind fleet farm is also a class 3 dealer, but he doesn't stock anything except a couple HTA 22 cans. Might be worth a shot to see how much he charges for transfers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's who I usually go with. I didn't see them listed as a class 3 before though. I wonder if they're parterend up with Silencerco for $70. I wouldn't doubt it.

And no if I knew everything was set a one time drive 3 hour drive wouldn't be bad, bu when I got my first can there were lots of little issue to be ironed out that took multiple trips. Would have killed me if it was a 3 hour drive each time. I guess I could call all the class 3's in my state and see if anyone has what I'm looking for in stock. Plus I also have old high-milage cars and a newborn so I don't like to travel super far from home...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A whole hour?

View Quote

True that,

We have to drive from Dallas to Austin to pick up
3.5 hours one way, so I make a weekend out of it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
silencerco is the only major suppressor manufacturer that I haven't found a reason to hate yet
View Quote

You are not trying.

How about the fact that many of the leaders who made it a great company have left or been fired since the Grim Reaper showed up. Only a matter of time before that has an effect on the product line, every other company he has touched and has gone to shit. Just for what they did to SWR you should hate them if that is how you roll.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

True that,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A whole hour?

True that,

That must suck. I have about 10 within 15 miles.
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not trying.

How about the fact that many of the leaders who made it a great company have left or been fired since the Grim Reaper showed up. Only a matter of time before that has an effect on the product line, every other company he has touched and has gone to shit. Just for what they did to SWR you should hate them if that is how you roll.

So why hate? You dont list a reason other than they might go to shit so I cant tell if they have actually dont anything. It reminds me of the huge chicken little outcry when they teamed up with Euro Optics.

Everyone seems to rave about their service even currently so I hope you are wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top