Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 3:23:43 PM EDT
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of lead 38 bullets but I don’t own any thing that is .38 calibers. I was thinking about melting them down and casting some 45-70 bullets but the 38 bullets have some bullet lube on them do I need to remove this or will it burn off  when I melt it down? I have never cast my own bullets I usually just buy cast bullets but since I have a bunch of lead now I thought I should start casting my own.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ahead and burn them down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The lube will burn off.  It may even stick around long enough to act as a flux, and hence even help you melt them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it!!  The flux will just bring more of the impurities out!!  If you really didn't mind all the dirt from the range, you could even do this with stuff out of the backstop, although I would highly recommend against this!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
not to be difficult, but why not sell them to someone who needs them and buy lead scrap to make some 45-70.  I guess I just hate to see good bullets melted down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
not to be difficult, but why not sell them to someone who needs them and buy lead scrap to make some 45-70.  I guess I just hate to see good bullets melted down.

This is what I was thinking too.  You might be able to sell them for more than just the scrap value of the lead.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
In the AFCOM way..........

IF you got bullets and no firearm to use them.

You don't sell.

You buy the firerarm to use them.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking too.  You might be able to sell them for more than just the scrap value of the lead.

Lead is heavy. Unless you can find someone local, I say melt em.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
you can buy a cheap pot from dollar general and boil the bullets, that will remove 99% of the lube.

the waxy lube with melt and float to the top of the water
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You don't sell.

Aloha, Mark

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't sell.

Aloha, Mark

WINNER!
Been there and done that
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not to be difficult, but why not sell them to someone who needs them and buy lead scrap to make some 45-70. I guess I just hate to see good bullets melted down.

This is what I was thinking too. You might be able to sell them for more than just the scrap value of the lead.

Lead is heavy. Unless you can find someone local, I say melt em.if
if it is under 70lbs and if fits, it ships...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the input I probably will not do any thing with these right away just because I don’t have the equipment yet to cast them but just wanted to know that if I need them they are good to go. Now you got me thinking that a marlin lever gun in 38-55 would be the only thing I would be interested in purchasing but really don’t know if they are correct for the 38-55, every one does bring up a good point about selling them and purchasing some 45-70 bullets. I also got a bucket of wheel weights from him and for what I could sell the 38 bullets for I could buy all the equipment to cast the wheel weights into 45-70 bullets.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Hold on to them if they are commercial cast bullets. If they are they are most likely a hard cast bullet. You can save them and use them to harden WW alloy (if needed) or cast them as rifle bullets. No need to remove the lube it will act as flux if you melt them. Or if you want to use them with your own lube, lay them out on paper towels on a cookie sheet and stick them in the over at 200 for a bit. The heat will melt the lube and the paper towels will absorb it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You don't sell.

Aloha, Mark

I like my Gp-100 or if you are old school a trooper works  nice to get rid of surplus bullets

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#16]
No .38 Caliber?!?!??

GET ONE

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input I probably will not do any thing with these right away just because I don’t have the equipment yet to cast them but just wanted to know that if I need them they are good to go. Now you got me thinking that a marlin lever gun in 38-55 would be the only thing I would be interested in purchasing but really don’t know if they are correct for the 38-55, every one does bring up a good point about selling them and purchasing some 45-70 bullets. I also got a bucket of wheel weights from him and for what I could sell the 38 bullets for I could buy all the equipment to cast the wheel weights into 45-70 bullets.

.38-55 uses .376-380 dia. not .358-.360 , so no they won't work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top