Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2018 2:24:23 AM EDT
I have owned my Mini-14 Series 186 since I bought it NIB in 1995 for a whopping $249 from Guns in Cypress, CA. Over the years it has sat in the back of my safe and has been shot rarely if any; pretty much was neglected due to the collection of AR's, FAL's, AK's, HK's, etc. With the crazy political climate, I decided to start using it and noticed that even though the finish was worn, wood beat up, and a little filthy due o non-cleaning, it has held up very well with no pitting and the bore was nice and shiny. So I decided to re-finish it and add a few extras.

(1) the Mini-14 is notorious for accuracy, due to the 18" barrel and barrel whip. So I decided to have the barrel cut down to 14.5" and pinned a YHM muzzle brake to make it 16" ( I am stuck in Kalifornia for the next 4 1/2 years till retirement and caring for elderly parents at the same time; SBR's and suppressors are in storage in AZ).
(2) Re-built all my USA 30 round magazines by stripping the crappy finish, I finished them using dry film lubricant as I did my old AR magazines, and added Ruger factory followers and Wolff extra duty Mini-14 springs; function as well as my factory Mini-14 20 round magazines.
(3) added a Hogue OD green stock to replace the beat up factory wood stock.
(4) had the rifle Cerekoted using Magpul FDE finish; came out beautiful.

All in all, I am pleased the way it came out, how it shoots, and functions. But their ate some things missing such as a light and good quality sling. How do I add a light to it? I was going to buy a Ultramax rail cover, but my gun smith was unable to remove the top of gas block because Ruger staked the gas block screws. Can I drill the stick to add a piece of rail or is there a much easier way to add a light.

Another dilemma is what sling? I would light a tactical two point sling because that is what I am used to on my other rifles. Does Blue Force Gear make a sling for the Mini-14 and a butt stock ammo pouch like fir the fixed stock AR?

Anyway, here are the pictures of the finished rifle. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The upgrades costs more that what I paid for it. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the FDE, it looks cool. For your sling solution, I don't think you are going to find anything Mini-14 specific, but these Nylon buttstock straps would probably be a good start.

It might not "fall" or "rest" as comfortably across your chest with your current front sling swivel, but you could even do a 550 cord job in front to the sling, then use this strap below for the stock for the rear sling contact point. They are pretty adjustable.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
All I see is that trashy af tablecloth
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh pineapples.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it needs an accu-strut to further piss off the locals / make it look more like a scary rifle.

I used a GI web style sling on mine, from GI tech sights.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top