Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2012 4:29:14 PM EDT
I saw a YouTube where a Slide Fire stock was fitted to a M&P 15/22 and it worked perfectly in the video.
The presenter said he had replaced the stock trigger group with a CMC trigger. Well I thought this would
be good for shits and giggles so I ordered the parts.

I really like the rifle but I just spent all day trying to master this sliding stock.  The most I could get it to run was
3 or 4 rounds at a time.  I estimate that I shot a couple of bricks worth of shells today trying to make it work.  I tried all kinds of various brands and velocities and I've come to the conclusion that this does not work on the .22.  At least the one I've got doesn't.

I'm sure the recoil of a 5.56 is sufficient to operate this thing but the rimfire just doesn't cut it.

I tried it open as well as suppressed and it was no different.  

If anyone has tried this and figured out how to run it please reply.  If not, I'm going to shit can this thing and
order a Magpul as I destroyed the damn stock that came with the rifle in getting it off.

By the way I wasn't impressed with the CMC trigger either.  Rock River Arms kicks their ass for about the same money.

So all I have to show for this day is raw fingers from loading magazines.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah sorry to hear that but when I read the title of your post I said "no way that would work".

Maybe if the gun weighed 3 lbs or less, the 22 recoil might work in a slide fire application.

Have a link to the vid?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F8Z5ooMZpY

Haven't figured out how to hotlink.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]

You just have to click the film thing by the picture and weblink buttons.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah...so he lightened up the trigger to 2-3 lbs....
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes but the CMC trigger is supposed to be 3.2 lbs.  I think I've been duped and feel pretty
stupid about it.  Oh well,  it isn't the first time.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I put a Slide Fire stock and a CMC trigger on mine It workes great I am using CCI AR Tactical ammunition. My Smith does not have a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:58:17 AM EDT
[#7]
That sucks. I was thinking of getting a slide fire and a M& P15/22 just for that purpose.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw that EXACT video and was going to blow the $ and collect the parts. . . . OP this might be one of the most beneficial posts I've ever read on ARF. I usually have to figure these things out the hard way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes but the CMC trigger is supposed to be 3.2 lbs.  I think I've been duped and feel pretty
stupid about it.  Oh well,  it isn't the first time.

What ammo were you running?  Any chance you need to put a lil less/more forward pressure on the forearm?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a Geiselle S3G trigger and VERY LIGHTLY sanded the buffer tube with 1200 grit sanding sponge.  It works great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]
After thinking about it for a couple of days I remember that every time it stopped
the trigger had failed to reset.  I believe my problem may be this CMC trigger.
I checked my invoice and realized that I paid $200+ for this thing.  Serves me right
for taking advice off a YouTube.  I should've bought a Timney which have served me
well in other guns.  At least I could've adjusted it.

To answer another post I used a variety of ammo including CCI minimags, Winchester Super X
high velocity, bulk Winchester white box, some Aguila, CCI standard velocity, some Eley, and
a few Win. wildcats.  I also cleaned the baffles in the suppressor pryor to shooting as they were
severely leaded up from months of fun.  I also tried a dry lubricant on the buffer tube (magazine
lube).  Nothing I tried worked any better than anything else.

I spent all afternoon trying various degrees of pressure on the forearm, holding the butt tight to
my shoulder as well as loosely, and tilting the stock up and down (it moves a little because it's a
loose fit.  I'm a pretty handy guy but as hard as I worked at it I couldn't do any better than a few
rounds at a time.  Pretty much a giant FAIL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you hold the gun lightly by the magazine?  That's how most of the vids show the guys shooting theirs.  I've got a SlideFire that I've used on my 5.45x39mm S&W M&P15.  That works great.  But I'm going to try it on my 15-22 when I can come up with enough discretionary funds to buy a 3# trigger. ($200?)
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I didn't try holding the magazine.  Habit I guess.  I'll try that today and
report back.  Also I'm confident that a 5.56 rifle would have the recoil to
operate this contraption even with the trigger I'm using.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well I didn't try holding the magazine.  Habit I guess.  I'll try that today and
report back.  Also I'm confident that a 5.56 rifle would have the recoil to
operate this contraption even with the trigger I'm using.

I watched a half dozen youtube videos of guys using the slidefire successfully on the 15-22.  One guy tested his using 6 or 7 different ammos, and it worked great on all of them.  Even the Federal bulk.  Watch a few more vids before you try it again.  Most of them gently hold pressure using the magazine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I've been trying it holding the magazine (not the well but the mag itself) and I'm
pleased to say it's doing somewhat better.  I can go through a 25 round magazine now
with about 3-4 bursts.  Thanks for the guidance and I'll continue to practice and hope
that I can eventually achieve a full mag dump.

Thanks All!

*this is going to make my favorite ammo supplier very happy too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]
My brother in law bought a 15-22 last week along with a Slidefire and a CMC trigger group.  He brought it over to the house yesterday and we ran 700+ rnds through it.  It ran great.  We could hold on the magazine or on the forearm and still get full mag dumps.  It did not matter.  The only issues we had was that every once in a while, one of the rounds would not go bang. Almost looked like a light primer strike. Not really an issue.  We ran CCI and Federal Champions through it and out of all the rounds we shot, I could count on one hand the number that didn't go bang the first time.  Put the round back in and it would shoot.  

Overall I am pleased with his gun and as a matter of fact, I have my dealer buddy getting me a price on one today.  

If I think about it, I will try to post a video of it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate all of you now i want a m&p 15 22 even more.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
A local guy got his to work with the stock trigger. He said the main trick is getting the reset on the trigger to be shorter. He add epoxy to it somehow , im not familar with it to know.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
you guys saved $11k on a slide fire vs. a registered lower.  Splurge a little and run 5.56mm through it...
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
you guys saved $11k on a slide fire vs. a registered lower.  Splurge a little and run 5.56mm through it...

Oh I intend to very soon!
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Must be nice to have money you can burn! Some of us are not so fortunate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#22]
there is a slide fire stock out there for the 10/22 now that works pretty great
the only downside is that it is expensive
the main reason for that expense is that it includes a KIDD trigger group

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxCX3UtqnJQ
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if this will work on my dedicated Spikes conversion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Tempting...But then I'd put it on my AR15 and watch the $$$ disappear downrange.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Did not work real well with my SSA.  I could get bursts, but not dump a full mag.

Trigger failed to reset.

I have heard that the RRA two stage works well.....  wonder why the SSA doesn't....
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wonder if this will work on my dedicated Spikes conversion.

Not likely.  Upper will be too heavy.

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a S&W 15-22.

We cannot have the slide fire stock it would be breaking so many laws over here

Thanks for the info on the trigger updates, I wasn't aware that they were the same as other ARs.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#28]
For what it's worth I have the M&P 15-22, CMC Trigerr and SBS Slidefire and it works perfectly for me.  My dad had some trouble getting it to work, you have to have the technique down and not muscle it too much.  He was kung fu death gripping it.  Keep messing with it, it works!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After thinking about it for a couple of days I remember that every time it stopped
I checked my invoice and realized that I paid $200+ for this thing.  Serves me right
for taking advice off a YouTube.  I should've bought a Timney which have served me

Well, I put a Timney trigger in mine and although it is improved, it still isn't where I want it to be.  Still having reset issues just like you.

I am wondering if I cut the recoil spring down just a bit, if that would give the bolt just a bit more ummff to reset the trigger 100%.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I put a Timney trigger in mine and although it is improved, it still isn't where I want it to be.  Still having reset issues just like you.

I am wondering if I cut the recoil spring down just a bit, if that would give the bolt just a bit more ummff to reset the trigger 100%.

What do you guys think?

A Friend of mine is using Timney trigger and he polished the recoil spring guide rod and firing pin.  He also clipped a coil or 2 off the firing pin spring.  His is about 99 to 100% with CCI Tactical and Blazers.  He has a replacement recoil spring and firing pin spring so I think he is about ready to clip a coil or 2 on his recoil spring.  He'd like it to work with Federal and WW bulk packs.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A Friend of mine is using Timney trigger and he polished the recoil spring guide rod and firing pin.  He also clipped a coil or 2 off the firing pin spring.  His is about 99 to 100% with CCI Tactical and Blazers.  He has a replacement recoil spring and firing pin spring so I think he is about ready to clip a coil or 2 on his recoil spring.  He'd like it to work with Federal and WW bulk packs.

I don't seem to have a problem with ignition, so I don't see a need to clip the FP spring.

My only issue is with the trigger failing to reset.

Link Posted: 5/10/2012 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one and all i did was put a JP trigger spring kit in it and it works great.

cost me like 15 bucks
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I tried the JP spring kit, no luck, but I switched to the CMC trigger and it worked.  I was hoping the JP springs would do the trick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I am doing similar things with a dedicated .22 that I built around a Bushmaster carbon fiber upper/lower. I have a RRA 2 stage trigger. I can do 2-3rd burts all day long, but had to lighten up the gun more to get longer strings. There is a ton of technique required with the .22s. I have reduced the weight of the barrel, ordered a carbon fiber handguard, and plan to try lots of different ammo. I am using federal bulk pack ammo, but my small amount of testing tells me that 40gr solid ammo is much better. I could dump a full mag of CCI Velocitors with no issues at all, but don't plan to buy $6 for 50 rounds of ammo...defeats the purpose. I have lots of testing and swithing around left to do before I get it all correct. I also need to try a little graphite/lube on the stock and buffer area too, I think that is a key point that I haven't tried yet.

I was using a buddies slide stock, mine is on the way......should be able to play alot more next week.

I will be posting more once I learn more about this particular gun. I have also bought about 7 different types of 40grain ammo. If i can find a round that works better then others and it is just a bit more expensive then the bulk stuff, I could live with that. I do have 1000 rounds of the new Winchester M-22 and have high hopes. I don't think $50 for 1000 is the end of the world.

More to come!

The good thing is that during my 1200 or so round initial testing, I had less then 2-3 light strikes, so this doesn't seem to have the issues with light strikes that my firends SW-22 does with his FCG. He was having 1 per mag it seemed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a 10/22 in the nordic conversion chassis to run like a dream.

blatant vid self promotion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8As5R8sN7E

I had some issues with my AR conversion kit but upon revisiting, it looks like I have a light strike issue with the conversion kit...

I need to get that sorted out before I try again, but I'm looking at getting a Timney 3lb trigger.

The weight is not the only thing to account for but also trigger take up and trigger reset travel.  The longer these are, the harder it will be to operate.

FWIW, the 10/22 in the Nordic chassis (and I saw one vid with the Troy chassis) works fine with the right ammo.  Anything about 1200 fps or above seems to run great.  Aguilla super I think is a 1750 fps or thereabouts and runs great, CCI Stinger is my next pick.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a M&P AR15-22 with Timney trigger and Slide fire and it ROCKS....
Occassionaly have Light Strikes, I think, due to the excessive FIRE speed at times... I had a JP Trigger in it but just couldent get it adjusted correctly... Since i got the Timney i can unload 9 outa 10 mags FULLY, the 1 would be a Light Strike. I can hold it anywhere and dont have to think about technique at all........
Here is a Video from yesterday me Dumping a 50rd drum on a Watermelon... had a Light Strike towards the end....
RETARDED fun......
I also made a block so i can swap it over to my M&P Ar15 Sport.... TALK about STUPID Fun and some SERIOUS FIREPOWER.......
If yer doing the Slide fire... just GET the Timney.... youll be happy ya did.... I can hold it anywhere and dont have to think about
M&P 15-22 50rd drum DUMP

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/stavman11/th_photobucket-24109-1336933431208.jpg
M&P Ar 15 Sport.... FIREPOWER BABY!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/stavman11/th_photobucket-1292-1336926038902.jpg

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you run a bunch of rounds through your M&P .22 before you put the Slide Fire on it?

Mine was new when I put it on and I think my recoil spring is just a tad too stout and is keeping me from getting 100% reset on my Timney trigger.

I think I will be able to swap recoil springs with my Tac Sol upper which is shorter....  that should answer that question.

Really want this to be at 100% less misfires.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you run a bunch of rounds through your M&P .22 before you put the Slide Fire on it?

Mine was new when I put it on and I think my recoil spring is just a tad too stout and is keeping me from getting 100% reset on my Timney trigger.

I think I will be able to swap recoil springs with my Tac Sol upper which is shorter....  that should answer that question.

Really want this to be at 100% less misfires.

It wasnt BRAND new... had about 1500rds in it before i got the slide Fire

Im going to try and TRIM the Firing Pin Spring and see if that Helps....

Ill let ya know

Stav

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top