Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 5:53:52 PM EDT
How far will 7-1/2 Hi Velocity game load travel?
Reason I ask is I live on the upper side of a small valley with no one below but a few homes on the top on the other side (about 500 yards). There's a clear area on the hillside just below me that would be perfect for shooting clays from (my son, not me. I'm a rifle person and will just be throwing them) and I just want to make sure no pellets will be reaching the other side. And yes, the fall out land for the clays is my property. Thx in advance.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Journee's formula for the maximum distance of lead spheres:  max range in yards = 2200 times the diameter of the shot in inches.  

7 1/2 shot (.095" diameter) max distance should be about 210 yards.  

A more or less dense shot material might affect the calculation a little, but you should have pleny of room.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd start with the National Skeet Shooting or Trapshooting Associations, or the NRA. I have seen recommendations for shot fall zones but I cannot remember where. I'd start with the above sources. I think 500 yards is enough though. Shotgun pellets turn white after a while so you will soon learn how far up the hill they are going.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
From the neighbor's perspective, won't it just look like you're shooting at their houses? They probably won't see the birds from 500 yds.
They're probably going to freak from the noise as well.
The NRA Range Manual shows a 300 yard shot fall zone for a skeet field. Measured from the firing line.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
According to Lyman's "Shotshell Reloading Manual, 4th edition", here are the maximum yardage distance for the different shot sizes when started out at a whopping 1350 fps. Lower velocity shells will go less far.

#5         290 yards
#6         274 yards
#7-1/2    247 yards

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From the neighbor's perspective, won't it just look like you're shooting at their houses? They probably won't see the birds from 500 yds.
They're probably going to freak from the noise as well.
The NRA Range Manual shows a 300 yard shot fall zone for a skeet field. Measured from the firing line.

Hey, I don't complain when he shoots his handguns and AK, so he better not complain about us shooting clays with a 12 ga.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Too cool! Anytime you can shoot in your backyard is 'quality' time. Dang near as good as being able to shoot off the back porch.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dang near as good as being able to shoot off the back porch.

Where do you think we shoot rifle from?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top