Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 10:44:14 AM EDT
Wanted to report on my findings at the range following my SOCOM conversion to Sage stock and GripPod setup. I freely admit that this is all subjective and kind of pricey modifications to do. So watch out for the Cha-Ching factor!

Found that the accuracy of the SOCOM with the Sage is about the same as it was with the standard stock. No noticable different on the short barreled SOCOM. The Sage is of course heavier than the original stock, and it upsets the balance quite a bit compared to the stock SOCOM. However adding the GripPod (or any other fornt grip) dramatically improves the situation and makes it a far, far superior setup.

Absolutely no reliability problems with the Sage. Fairly straight forward install. Be careful using the hammer, of course, to bang pressed parts off. I found that using PVC pipe was good as it did not mar any of the finish of anything. Make sure the op rod guide and op rod line up perfectly. Liberally grease everything, as once the Sage is fully put together it is not very easy to get in there to apply grease. Work all the parts as you put it together and grease to make sure there is no binding - it is too hard to fix if you discover something binds once it is all put together. Save all the extra parts, not that you would want to ever convert it back, but just in case you die and someone has to sell your setup. Locktite all the screws. I did have a couple loosen - only the ones I forgot to Locktite. My usual warning - don't use cheap Chinese hex wrenches or you will round off hex nuts.

I ordered the aluminum Grip Pod as I found the extra weight of the aluminum was not at all noticable with the M14 and I thought it would be substainsially stiffer than the composite Grip Pod. I do not have a composite Grip Pod, but I am making that statement on what I have found with my other composite front grips. Yes, the Grip Pod is expensive and people knock it a lot but the added weight of a Harris bipod makes the Grip Pod the definate way to go. Function is as good as a Harris. Me being a bench shooter I appreciated the flat feet on the Grip Pod. I did put some felt tape (velco) on the bottom feet to keep them from being marred on the crapola benches at the ranges.

Balance is excellent with this setup, and the cheek weld and adjustability of the stock makes the setup ideal. Weight of the setup is still a bit on the heavy side, but the compactness of it more than compansates for this trade off. And there is nothing cooler than slapping in a 20 round mag, completely collapsing the stock, and letting it loose at the hip at some of your favorite fruit targets.

I find the only thing lacking is magazine capacity. A Beta-C for the M14 would make it an outstanding package. Hope they eventually come out with once.

Top it off with you favorite red dot. Both the Aimpoint and EOTech are excellent. However, I would definately recommend a 2 MOI rather than the 4 MOI that I have.

Overall, even though the Sage stock is expensive, and the GripPod is very expensive, it is well worth it and I would recommend it for anyone that really wants a CCQ setup. Spend the money now because once Hillarly brings back her and her hubby's AWB, you will regret not having this setup.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the same set up as you and love it.  The Grip pod was made for the Sage stocks.  Now if only some one would come out with a krink flash hider set up for the socom my monster would be complete.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the club.

Question: What's at the back of the reciever where the rear site should be? Is it just a rear site cover?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Welcome to the club.

Question: What's at the back of the reciever where the rear site should be? Is it just a rear site cover?

Correct - I don't use the iron sights with that AimPoint, so I put a spare cover on it.  Maybe one of these days I will get a spacer and move up the AimPoint and have the iron sights available too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#4]
FlameRed,
                           Very good report and nice photo !!!!!          
                                          Take care --- Bird aka GF123
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top