Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 1:32:34 AM EDT
My next gun im planning on getting is a Ruger mini 30 and i plan to convert it to bullpup. Is anyone familliar with the mini 30 bullpup sights? Does it have windage and elevation sights on the bullpup? Is the fire rate slower/faster after putting a bullpup on the mini30? What are good hi-caps mags to use in the mini30 without having jams and problems? i cant anything info on the net so help me out plz.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:54:47 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 2:12:05 PM EDT by plinkereye]
thanks for the info. I will look more into the mini30.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:55:59 PM EDT
While the mini-14 has had good sources of aftermarket magazines there isn't really any source that makes good mini-30 mags.

Honestly those bullpup stocks have got to be one of the most ugly out there. Its almost as if they designed them to be so ugly. I don't think the mini-14 or mini-30 is a good candidate for turning into a bullpup. You have to rock the mag to get it to seat, and that seems more time consuming and complicated if its a bullpup.

I'd just get a standard mini-30 have the barrel cut down to 16" and get a socut rail mount. Mags will still be hard to find. You could go with a mini-14 if you want a bit more range of accessories.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:27:45 PM EDT
ive found lots of mags, 6 companies that make mini 30 hi caps mags. bullpup is beautiful. Im painting mine camo green.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 6:49:08 PM EDT by RABID]
C'mon Troy, they aint THAT bad. Then again maybe I got one of the few that WASN'T a lemon. My Mini shoots 2-21/2 groups with the crappiest ammo I can feed it, and goes bang every time. Would I go into combat with it?...errr...ummmm.....It would't be my choice, but I' rather have it that a javelin or a longbow (I suck with a longbow, my 100 meter groups are horrible)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:50:21 AM EDT
I would argue that the RELIABILITY of the mini-30 is so bad as to make sights irrelevant. Might make a good club though....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:52:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:09:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:34:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By plinkereye:
ive found lots of mags, 6 companies that make mini 30 hi caps mags. bullpup is beautiful. Im painting mine camo green.

Chances are these will all suck.

You might occasionally be able to find a used LE mag however.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:10:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Seydou:

Good luck.

Seydou

I don't think they made LE mini30 mags. Those bulpup conversions are fragile junk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:36:09 PM EDT
You would probably be better off with an AK bullpup. At least the mags would be cheaper and more reliable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:02:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:

Originally Posted By Seydou:

Good luck.

Seydou

I don't think they made LE mini30 mags. Those bulpup conversions are fragile junk.

I have never seen even a ten rd mini30 mag from Ruger, let alone a high cap LEO mag.

You would think, with the ban history, someone would make decent mags for the mini.

If you want a bullpup, consider making your own, wood is cheap and it cost you nothing to try.

You might have fun doing it too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:55:42 AM EDT
Years ago while playing around with the Mini 30 idea here is what I have found, the only mags in hi cap that worked were USA and of those only 1/2 were trustworthy. I took out the USA followers and replaced them with factory Ruger followers ( I still have 1/2 dozen around somewhere if you need them shoot me an IM) DO NOT use anything from Triple K magazines! I dont know if it was someones day off when I ordered a bunch from them but they didnt even have the hole in the front of the mag to secure the mag into the mag well, I had to drill it my self. What a waste of time as they didnt function anyway and they would not let me return them as I "modified " them. In the end my conclusion was to use the rifle with the 5 round magazine and it worked as intended. If I were to do it all over again I would just get an AK. Just trying to save you the trouble and $ I went through.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:37:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:
The accuracy of these rifles is so lousy that sights are mostly irrelevant.

-Troy

Bit of an exaggeration? No one expects any of these to shoot like a good AR15.

The mini is at least as accurate as any 7.62 AK, SKS or .30cal Carbine, and hell of a lot easier to mount a scope.

Its a little funny to hear people knock the mini for accuracy and then recommend an AK.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:32:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NH_AR_Shooter:

-Troy

The mini is at least as accurate as any 7.62 AK, SKS or .30cal Carbine, and hell of a lot easier to mount a scope.

Its a little funny to hear people knock the mini for accuracy and then recommend an AK.

By that statement, I take it you've never owned an AK or and Mini.

I've owned both and have kept the AK's. Not even mentioning reliability with any magazine, they are a hell of alot more accurate than the mini's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:17:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 10:18:27 PM EDT by NH_AR_Shooter]

Originally Posted By drobs:

Originally Posted By NH_AR_Shooter:

-Troy

By that statement, I take it you've never owned an AK or and Mini.

I've owned both and have kept the AK's. Not even mentioning reliability with any magazine, they are a hell of alot more accurate than the mini's.

Assumptions are like......well you know.

I own both, what do you consider a hell of a lot more accurate? Don't try telling me your 7.62 AKs group much better than 4 to 6 inch's, about as bad as minis are criticized for.

Mini 30 which groups 4" to 6" = POS...Can't hit anything with it.

AK which groups 4" to 6" = Good Battlefield accuracy.

Reliability, Mags, AK wins hands down, but please don't try to sell people on AK accuracy, the AK is accurate enough to get the job done and the mini30 is accurate enough to hunt with, within the limits of the cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:35:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 6:45:17 AM EDT by 24ksports]
If you want a bullpup rifle I recommend you don't buy the Ruger but buy a Bushmaster Bullpup and save yourself a passel of disappointments with the Mini 30 conversion. My experience is the average Mini 30 is more accurate than an AK at 100 meters and over shooting - however the open sights on both make them equal in performance at 80 and under meters. As for use as a bullpup I think you will be disappointed. For 100 meters and over shooting - the mini will outshoot an AK - but both suffer from random flyer groups. I think Ruger should be ashamed to put out such a poor product and then further hamper the buyer without proper mag support. The latest tests I read on the "new" generation Ruger Ranch rifles (no more Mini 14 name) had the testers jumping up and down happy with a best of 2 1/2 to 3" 100 yard groups out of a new $700 - 223 rifle - the Bushmaster will do better than this for about the same money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:37:38 AM EDT

They work for sand worms!
Top Top