Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 11:42:44 AM EDT
I bought the aforementioned die set, and it seems to be all-there quality wise, but the instructions are very basic in nature.  If I understand correctly, the primer pocket crimp is only on the edge of the pocket, so the swager spud need not go all the way into the pocket proper?  Should the spud simply enter the pocket edge?  Finally, any case that fully fits over the spud in the first place, needs no swaging, yeah?

Thanks in advance, the members here are both scholars and gentlemen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
A little resizing lube on the primer pocket swage will help immensly on the back stroke. Otherwise you'll be beating on the handle to undo your handiwork.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a RCBS swager but only use the "spuds" as go / no go gauges.

Case is crimped. Spud barely enters PP.

Crimp removed. Spud enters fully.

Should go in easy by hand, but case should stay in spud when the spud is held up.

The true test is seating a primer. Hard to seat, some crimp still remains. Easy to seat, GTG.

So set up your tool, swage a few cases, and seat primers in them. Adjust crimper as necessary.

Once the crimper is set, swage the batch.

Then readjust crimper for the next headstamp.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top