Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 9:12:37 AM EDT
Need some info here please. I am in the process of rounding up reloading equipment for .223. While looking at shell holders I came across RCBS extended versions as well as the regular height.

Being a complete newbee at this what is the purpose of the extended shell holders?

Another question if I may, Lee Classic Cast vs Rockchucker Supreme? Or other single stage press. Yeah, I did search but apparently this question is so basic it hasn't been asked in the last 30 days.

Thanks for your time.

OFG
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:28:47 AM EDT
If it's a really tall shellholder, I think those are used for case forming die sets, but I could be wrong.

If it's a graduated height increase (+.002, +.004, etc.) it's to tailor shoulder bumping. The added height reduces the amount of bump so you aren't over sizing. Redding has had them for years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:40:17 AM EDT
Thanks, it is the really tall versoin.

OFG
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:34:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 11:44:42 AM EDT by RatShooter]
There was a thread a couple days ago about opinions on the Rock Chucker for starter press, though not really as a comparison thread. I don't know anything about the Lee presses but I use some of their dies and that's good stuff.

Cliff notes for the thread mentioned: You can't go wrong with a Rock Chucker.

ETA: When searching try to use as few words as possible. You may have to look through the results a little more but something like "rock chucker" or "lee" will have more hits pertinent to your query (or maybe not)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:37:22 AM EDT
Rock Chucker all the way!!! I have both and the difference is night and day!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:13:45 PM EDT
Thanks for the comparative opinion.

Already have a Lee 4 hole turret press so was considering a Lee Classic Cast single stage press.

Never heard anything bad about the Rockchucker but wanted to hear from someone with experience with both.

Rockchucker will be ordered today.

Thanks,
OFG
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:51:24 PM EDT
Extended shell holders push the case further into the die for a particular reason.

See, for example, this RCBS competition seating die which uses an extended shell holder www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=177340&t=11082005
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:53:45 PM EDT
The extended shellholder is for use with the compitition seater die, also for their case trimmer die.
'Borg
Top Top