Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 9:24:50 PM EDT
Midway USA just sent me an email to inform that they finally have RCBS's new Rifle Bullet Feeder in stock...the .22 cal version anyway.  No sign of the 30 cal yet.

Now the questions begin...I will email RCBS and see what parts are necessary to convert to .30 cal or pistol...and how much.  Earlier they said the possibility depends on demand for it...Duh.  Personally, I think the success of the rifle versions depend on such conversions.

Keep in mind that this product is supposed to work with any progressive.

I checked on other online stores...the same .22 version is in stock at Cabelas, MidSouth, and Grafs.  The wideners website was down tonight....the fire???

I realize this is slightly esoteric, but then a lot of people bought a $450 trimmer!!  I'm betting some Ar-15 shooters who load bucket loads might be interested...and then there's Gavin, who promised on his Ultimate Reloader site to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
An RCBS R&D engineer whom I have become acquainted, answered my email concerning the company's new Rifle Bullet Feeder.  Though this is short and to the point, it's the best info I've been able to squeeze from RCBS... so far...
If you buy the .22 Rifle Version you would only be able to load .224 Caliber Cartridges. The rifle bullet feeder is offered for the .22 and .30 rifle calibers, however as of yet we do not have the conversion kit to convert from one to the other.....or to Pistol..  We are currently discussing the need to have a conversion kit to do exactly what you have requested.  Hopefully, in the near future, we will offer a conversion kit; however, it will mainly depend on the number of requests we receive for this type of product.  Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope this helps.

So then I Emailed back, to see how to best add to the # of requests for conversion kits.  His answer below:

The best way to request a bullet feeder conversion kit product from RCBS is to send e-mail, or letters to RCBS customer service.  Hopefully we can market these conversion kits in the near future.

You know guys, since these products could become something worthwhile for all of us.....how about Emailing RCBS customer service, and requesting conversion kits between rifle bullet feeders, rifle to pistol bullet feeders, and pistol to rifle bullet feeders.  You might mention that doing so might make it more desirable to purchase RCBS bullet feeder products.

Email RCBS Link
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you can already load pistol ammo using the RCBS bullet feeder on the LnL AP very easy.

Video

ETA: Cabela's has all three, .22 & .30 cal rifle and a pistol one that Contains adapters to load 9mm/.38/.357, 10mm/.40 and .45-caliber pistol bullets, I dont know why the rifle feeders are so much more than the pistol feeder though.

I'm not sure how/when it inserts the bullet on the LnL AP when it says it orients the bullets to drop into the feed mechanism/bullet seating die unless it only works with RCBS's window comp. seating die? Maybe you just have to take out the powder check die and it inserts the rifle bullet after charging the case and then it will seat in any seating die after that?

Cabela's link to all three
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I noticed the feeders are not for use with lead projectiles. Is that because the bullet lube gums up the works?

jonblack

BTW - yes, "gums" is a verb! Hehe!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks like you can already load pistol ammo using the RCBS bullet feeder on the LnL AP very easy.

Video

ETA: Cabela's has all three, .22 & .30 cal rifle and a pistol one that Contains adapters to load 9mm/.38/.357, 10mm/.40 and .45-caliber pistol bullets, I dont know why the rifle feeders are so much more than the pistol feeder though.

I'm not sure how/when it inserts the bullet on the LnL AP when it says it orients the bullets to drop into the feed mechanism/bullet seating die unless it only works with RCBS's window comp. seating die? Maybe you just have to take out the powder check die and it inserts the rifle bullet after charging the case and then it will seat in any seating die after that?

Cabela's link to all three

Thanks for the heads up...The .30 caliber arrived at Cabela's yesterday...when I started this thread...nothing.

So here's the thing:  The rifle versions consist of an AC-operated collator that "orients the bullets to drop into the feed mechanism/bullet seating die".  Read that as more than a collater/feeder it also seats the bullet.  That means the tool only uses ONE station rather than the two needed for the pistol feeder.  That's why it costs $70 more than the pistol feeder which only drops the bullet onto a case, which must be then indexed and seated. The weakness in the Pistol feeder is that it uses up TWO stations and makes is hard to use a powder check die and/or a separate crimp die.....but that's the same with "Mr. Bullet Feeder" in their pistol AND rifle bullet feeders.

GSI is the only product until this new RCBS Rifle Feeder that feeds and seats in one station.  The problem with both the GSI and RCBS products is no caliber conversion kits.  Whether that stands is entirely up to us. Email RCBS and request conversion kits.  Their engineer suggested that that would make all the difference.

Here's what's availible from GSI:
Pistol feeders only for the Dillon 650 ($500) and Dillon 1050 ($700) , one station bullet feeders for one caliber, in 3 models:  9mm/38 Super;   40 cal.;   .45 cal.;   and 38 Special/357.
Rifle feeder, only for the Dillon 650 ($620), a one station bullet feeder for one caliber only in .223.
GSI advertises NO conversion kits and if you have a LNL, or a Pro 2000, you're out of luck anyway.

From RCBS:
Pistol Feeder Kit containing adapters to load 9mm, 357, 10mm, 40 and 45 caliber pistol bullets. ($380) for most progressive presses....uses two stations...one to feed, one to seat. (requires generous belled brass)
Rifle Feeders for most progressive press, one station feeder/seater, in calibers .223 AND .308. ($450)

The advantage of RCBS's product is that they kept the feed mechanism out of the die head.  You screw it on with the special drop-thru seater die.  Two improvements there!  One, is that press compatibility spreads to "most" progressives.  Two, is cheaper manufacture so cheaper price.

Lets not leave out Mr. Bullet Feeder:
He offers pistol or .223 rifle bullet feeders in the caliber of your choice, in 38 Super/9mm; 40/10mm; 45; and of course .223 for $550.  He also offers $150 conversion kits in each of those same calibers.  The feeding mechanism is similar (but, perhaps better thought out) to the RCBS pistol feeders.  They plop the bullet into a belled case, case indexes to a seater, then the bullet is seated.  Again this method takes 2 stations to drop and seat, pistol and rifle.

So lets say you want to feed bullets for .223, .45ACP, 9MM, and 40S&W.  Today you'd have to spend:

Dillon 650 owners...$2,120 from GSI, or $830 from RCBS, or $1,000 from Mr. Bullet Feeder.   Oh, and if you want to add the .308 caliber  the only total would be RCBS for $1280. (if MBF adds that caliber his total would be $1,150 (all two station))
Hornady LnL, and RCBS owners....the same except forget GSI. (don't forget the RCBS rifle tool are one station feeder/seaters)

Let's say you buy the new RCBS .223 rifle feeder.  Now if RCBS makes conversion kits for conversion to the simpler, but wide caliber choice, pistol feeder, say $200, and another $200 to convert it to the .308, then RCBS's total would be $850.
That's the point of Emailing RCBS!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I noticed the feeders are not for use with lead projectiles. Is that because the bullet lube gums up the works?

jonblack

BTW - yes, "gums" is a verb! Hehe!

And yes, gum (the noun) is the reason.  You could use lubed lead, but you'd have to clean a lot and probably have to spray & wipe teflon on all the parts touched.  RCBS isn't going to touch that, I'm afraid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top