Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 12:18:17 PM EDT
Well,

Against my better judgement I purchased a Century R1A1 on Saturday. Got it cleaned up and took it to the range. I must say I've been fairly impressed so far.  I had one bad magazine, but other than that the rifle cycles very reliabily and is a pleasure to shoot. I put about 100 rounds thru it and all functioned fine after I got rid of the bad magazine.

I know this rifle has a bad rap, but I've been looking for an FAL for a while now and my dealer finally got this one in. I have a very nice M1A so I wasn't looking for anything other than a shooter. For some reason any rifle that says .308 on the side seems to start at $1400. The fit and finish on this rifle is fine, and like I said it is a pleaseure to shoot. I hope it holds up as adding a second M1A or a BAR10 to the collection isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of receiver is it? A smith over on the falfiles said the new CAI guns were on par with DSA in his opinion but i dont know if he was being facetious.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they still being built with the cast receiver's?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless I'm missing something, I can't tell who made the receiver. The only markings that I can find are the Century stamp from VT with a serial number.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I took the R1A1 back to the range this morning for another excersise session. I put 75 rounds thru it, the majority was from Austrialia and South Africa. Again I had zero failures of any kind. The magazines I was using were the new metric mags from CDNN. I'm starting to develop confidence in this rifle and I hope it is an indication that the quality at Century has taken a turn for the better. For the price it would be easy to own 2 of these.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine about a month or so ago and love it.  
The best $400 i have ever spent on a gun, especially with the 4 30 round mags that came with it.

Your sounds similar to mine.  Unmarked except for the Century markings and serial #.
I do believe it is a cast receiver too.
Seems to fit Inch mags better than the Metrics.  Has a metric gasblock.  Much better than the
Inch type IMHO

It is quickly becoming my favorite rifle.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same thing you do except mine is on a non logo Imbel upper. Shoots great and zero problems in about 400 rounds so far. It's currently in the shop to have the barrel cut to 18", crowned, threaded for a FS and reparked. Can't wait to get it back.

FALs are great rifles and I love mine. You have a great rifle and you will find yourself shooting it more than your other weapons. Best of luck with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Sold mine, didn't make or lose any money
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
As to the cast F A L receiver, sleep well and dread naught.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll tell you guys, I couldn't ask any more of a gun. It has been a pleasure to shoot and my confidence is building. Wouldn't mind having a second one to put a scope on. Time will tell, the FAL platform my not lend itself to well to a scope.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll tell you guys, I couldn't ask any more of a gun. It has been a pleasure to shoot and my confidence is building. Wouldn't mind having a second one to put a scope on. Time will tell, the FAL platform my not lend itself to well to a scope.

I'd like to suggest this:
No screws, it slides on and off the same way as the stamped factory dust cover.

Click me for web page

Some of you may note the similarity to the very good scope mount that Williams made prior to their aluminum fal reciever disaster.

This has the additional parts so it will function on both a para-trooper style fal and a standard fal.
I have one on order and can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#11]
if it doesn't have screws then wont it move when you fire the gun?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Does the stock cover move?

The old scopes the brittish had with the meprolight point coming from the top was mounted to a welded platform on top of a standard top cover.

It is locked in by the rail on each side.
There is a tollerance of about .002 from the front to the rear and that should not effect the p.o.i. at all.

With the para the bolt carrier spring will hold it directly against the rear while firing so the .002 isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It looks kind of like the arms mount. On the arms mount there is 2 flaps of metal on the inside that press against the receiver locking it in place. Mine worked for about 2 months then the 2 flaps stopped applying pressure to the receiver so it would slide off just like a normal dust cover.  I dont know what the price of the Grenadier Precision mount but the DSA one is hard to beat it runs about $60. Its rugged and it locks into place on your receiver via set screws.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks kind of like the arms mount. On the arms mount there is 2 flaps of metal on the inside that press against the receiver locking it in place. Mine worked for about 2 months then the 2 flaps stopped applying pressure to the receiver so it would slide off just like a normal dust cover.  I dont know what the price of the Grenadier Precision mount but the DSA one is hard to beat it runs about $60. Its rugged and it locks into place on your receiver via set screws.  

This is all one piece aluminum.
The locking area is exactly like what the williams mount had.

I have a DSA and it works great, I've never had an issue.
I mainly want this because you don't need any tools to remove it and it will work with both the standard fal and the para.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to suggest this:
No screws, it slides on and off the same way as the stamped factory dust cover.
stores.grenadierprecision.com/catalog/falcop-scout-coloredsm.jpg
Click me for web page

Some of you may note the similarity to the very good scope mount that Williams made prior to their aluminum fal reciever disaster.

This has the additional parts so it will function on both a para-trooper style fal and a standard fal.
I have one on order and can't wait.

Now that is nice. I have the cheapo TAPCO model and so far so good on that. However I think the one above is a very good choice far and above mine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
My R1A1 is built on an Imbel receiver and it functions excellent. Aside from removing the muzzle brake and have the barrel cut down and re threaded, I haven't had to do anything to it to make it work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top